Bally Money Honey Slot machine needs help!

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
md83

Bally Money Honey Slot machine needs help!

Post by md83 »

Hi all,
I've recently picked up this Bally money honey machine, which unfortunately has had the mains cable removed! With thanks to Barnzy11 I've managed to find out where the Live and Earth leads should be connected (whoever removed it left some bare wire where they were previously connected) but I cannot find where the Neutral should go?
Any help would be great, I've attached a photo of the fuses and the bared wires I mentioned previously.
WP 20150919 16 42 43 Pro.jpg

WP 20150928 19 32 39 Pro.jpg

Many thanks,
Mike.
ballymad

Re: Bally Money Honey Slot machine needs help!

Post by ballymad »

be careful with ballys as I have had some with a fused neutral.
where do you think the earth goes because the earth is normally grounded under the screw which holds down the hopper beau plug housing
I cant tell weather you have a time out switch or not (for the hopper payout)
that leaves the red wire and the fuse with the white/blue wire if you have no time out switch both will go to the transformer the white wire via a fuse the red direct as the neutral
I have 2 machines where the neutral is connected to the red and goes directly to the primary side of the transformer
please be careful as this is 240v primary
and 50v and 6v on the secondary side which share a common rail
raj

Post by raj »

just to add further caution, there is 240v on the door, supplying the lighting, and it is not obvious which wires carry the high voltage...be very careful!
md83

Post by md83 »

Hi , thanks for the info.
I've attached an extended pic of the interior. I'm guessing the box (with the red light and white button) on the far left of the pic is the hopper payout timer , the white/blue wire does come this, and is connected to the far right of the 3 fuses. The red wire comes from the transformer, any suggestions on how I should proceed? begining to think I might be in over my head, I'm no stranger to electrical work, but I'd want to get it right first time before I plug it in!

Many thanks,
Mike
Attachments
WP_20151001_18_42_21_Pro.jpg
ballymad

Post by ballymad »

connect your neutral to the red
primary side of the transformer you should have a red,a white and a black wire
the black does your door lighting and should be 120v the red is neutral and goes straight to the
transformer the white is from memory 240v and also goes to the transformer and to the timer
this is where caution is needed as I have had some ballys where the 240 comes in and goes straight to the transformer and timer and the neutral is fused
the secondary side of transformer there is orange/black wire a yellow wire and a blue wire
the orange/black is 50v and does or your coils
the blue is 6v and does your lights these are the other 2 fuses
the yellow is the common for the 50v and 6v
I can only advise on what I have come across please proceed with caution
md83

Post by md83 »

Thanks Ballymad,
The wiring on my transformer is the same as you've described, If I attach the neutral to the red wire,(which runs to the primary side of the transformer) can I then attach the live to far left fuse? (Which has the blue/white wire coming from the timer) and then anchor the Earth the cabinet like you mentioned before? It makes sense that this is the configuration because when I got the machine, the hopper timer, fuses etc had all been unscrewed from the cabinet, so the remainder of the earth wire probably went missing.

Thanks so much again for your help

Mike
ballymad

Post by ballymad »

Yes attach your live to the fuse
You might want to start with a 3 or 5amp fuse
md83

Post by md83 »

Success!
The wiring worked and the machine powered up, but the only light that worked on the front is the bottom fluorescent tube!? The smaller bulbs around the top inside the door aren't working. Could it be the case that all the other bulbs are blown? It seems unlikely to me. Could one of the starters inside the cabinet, or on the inside of the door be at fault?
Also, the hopper wasn't paying out at all when I ran the machine and hit a couple of combinations that should have been winners, but I suppose one problem at a time!

Thanks again,
Mike
ballymad

Post by ballymad »

Try swapping starters
Is the 6v fuse ok
Lets cure the lights before we get to the hopper
You might need a muti meter from here on in
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Are the lights that are not working tubes,the small 6 inch ones? If so try switching them around, this shouldn't work but often will, I'd replace all the tubes, they are very cheap if you buy in lots on 10 on line,new starters as well of course
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I've only ever worked on one Money Honey many years ago so can barely remember anything specifically. But did just work on a 70's Aristocrat for a friend and had lots of issues with the lights. Of note is that the two front door tubes were wired in series, one bulb goes and they both go. I had bulb issues, bad connections to a starter holder plus rotten lamp connections! A little bit of everything just to make it interesting. The lamp ballasts always have the schematic printed onto them which is a huge help to figure out what the hell is going on, especially with weird re-wiring to figure out.
md83

Post by md83 »

Thanks guys,
The tubes behind the belly glass are both working now, but the tube at the top of the door only flickers slightly when I turn it in it's fitting. After swapping components around I've discovered one of the starters is bad, but all ballasts are fine (the door ones are bloody loud though!) and the 6v fuse is fine. Is it likely to be bad wiring like Gameswat mentioned?

Cheers,
Mike
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If it's flickering then it's most likely the tube or starter. If you have swapped the starter round and it's the same, then first thing is to try a new tube before looking at the wires. The machine might get quieter if you leave it on for a while.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

That's exactly one of the the issues I had, tube would flicker and sometimes light when touched. Pain to get to each time as it was behind the front glass and multiple bolts. Someone had already had the same issue and replaced the original plastic twist in holders with those push on ones made of hardish rubber. When I checked continuity it was barely there, looking inside I could only see green corrosion of the copper terminals. Found some of the same spare ones in good knick and swapped them both over which fixed that. Then within a day they went out again! I purchased all new tubes and still only flickering when I touched wiring sometimes? Eventually with the meter discovered a dodgy connection to the starter holder, the wires just pushed in and were held under tension. Replaced with new screw type fittings and solved that. Had already found some other dodgy connections at the beginning which were just wires vaguely twisted together and badly corroded. All up wasted quite a few hours of my time!
md83

Post by md83 »

Thanks guys,
I need to pick up a couple of new tubes and new starters also, but am I right in thinking the starter or the ballast wouldn't be a factor in the smaller bayonet bulbs not lighting at all? I found a couple connections that were just twisted together and taped over so have sorted them now.
I'll let you know how I get on with new starters and tubes.

Mike