Jubilee payout problem

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
titanic

Jubilee payout problem

Post by titanic »

Hi,
I wondered if anyone could help with a problem I have run into? I recently bought my first one arm bandit with intentions of restoring it. It had been sat in a shed for years and was fairly seized up. It was also not paying out sometimes, or paying the wrong amount. So I decided to strip it down, clean everything and re grease it. I have done all that now, and it is running smoothly. I have got it paying out and paying the right amount 99% of the time :-) The problem I have run into is... sometimes it won't pay out at all. I have figured out why. The arm that pushes the payout slides pushes them all the way forward, but the other arm that comes across from the timing fan to hold the payout slides in place doesn't hold them in place. The only way to get it back right is to manually pull all the payout arms back to release all the coins in the slides. Then on the next spin the arm will hold the slides in place. It will then payout for a bit, but after a couple of wins it will happen again. !PUZZLED! Sorry if if this isn't very clear, but I am new to this and don't know all the proper names for all the bits! Any help would be appreciated - thanks.
coppinpr

Re: Jubilee payout problem

Post by coppinpr »

Actually your description is very clear. This problem is not common but on the other hand not very rare either. The problem is most likely caused by the slides not quite going all the way forward (check this is the case) and the slides are stopping the slide brake from getting in behind them. The quickest way to fix this is not that easy and is something usually referred to as a last resort, not because it hurts the machine but because if not done correctly it will upset ALL the machines timings, so take care.
Look to the handle side of the machine - when you pull the handle you will see what is sometimes called a "dog and cog" set up in action. A large tooth pushes back the main bar until it falls of the end and allows the mech to unwind. Either this tooth or the other side may have worn very slightly over the years and the mech is firing just a tad too early (before the brake has engaged). The very large bolt holding the "dog" in place needs to be loosened; the "dog" adjusted very very slightly to push the main bar just a tad further before it unwinds. (You can find posts on the forum showing all this in detail). Points to note are: (1) mark your start position so you can return to it if all goes wrong. (2) move the dog VERY VERY slightly. (3) re tighten the large bolt very tightly. (4) check the machine with several plays to check other timings are not changed. (5) Do NOT move the dog too far and work backwards to the correct position. Moving the dog too far will jam the mech completely. (6) check the other posts to see photos. (7) a lot of power is stored in the mech during the wind up cycle - watch your fingers.
titanic

Post by titanic »

Hi, coppinpr. Thanks for the reply and info. Is this the bolt you mean? The bolt on the top is already slack, as in not tightened at all!
Attachments
1450542469299-1254517301.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

That's the one! So looks like that's your problem then, if it's loose. !!THUMBSX2!!
titanic

Post by titanic »

The bolt on the top is loose, as it turns with your finger. Is it the bit that sticks out to the left I want to be moving in or out? I have only lightly tried to move that with my fingers, but it seems to be fairly stuck where it is. If that is the bit to move? Should I mark how far it is out like you said, then carefully try to pull it out slightly with a pair of pliers?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Yes, that is exactly what to do. It's not surprising it's stuck, it's never been moved. Because the bolt is loose it's probability started to move very slightly. Move it out a tiny amount. I don't have a Jub here just now (but I have one from the Coventry auction on the way !!RAYOF!! ) but if it's like Mills you will be best to knock the pin forward from the rear. Tighten the bolt hard. Jubs have a locking nut as you can see, most other machines do not. It will be trial and error. If you go too far, and the mech locks solid, you will need to knock the dog pin in till the mech releases. Beware - the power releases very suddenly. Remember to mark your start position. Let us know how it goes.
titanic

Post by titanic »

Hi, problem solved, I tried moving it out a bit to the point of jamming, but didn't seem to make any difference. It turned out to be the simplest of things! It was the top plate that holds the payout slides in place. When I put it back on, I didn't realize it had oval holes for the screws to go through. I had screwed it down, but had it sat too far back. It must have been stopping the slides being pushed forward enough! Thanks for the the replies and help. Next job to build a coin return chute, as someone had removed the original one to put lights in it!