Somebody knows... Maybe you?
widget2k4

Brenner Ball Past the Arrow colour?

Postby widget2k4 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:44 pm

Does anyone know if :-
all the Brenner ball past the arrows were made in black?
Were they hand painted and was it gloss, satin, matt originally?

I started sanding mine down today to repaint it but was quite surprised to find really nice wood underneath, so several hours later sanding all the paint is gone and lovely oak is revealed, but now that I have done that I feel really reluctant to cover it back up in black paint and hide it all again.
So was wondering if all of them were painted black originally, or could it possibly have been really dark wood stain (ebony) which would be really dark and still show the nice wood grain through.

I've only ever seen this one and a quick glimpse of another one but didn't really pay much attention. All the pictures I can find look like black paint but I'm kind of hoping I'm wrong.
2016-04-29 18.23.25.jpg

treefrog

Re: brenner ball past the arrow colour ?

Postby treefrog » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:53 pm

Most seem to have been black, but seen lots in the raw, the the strips still painted. I have an unpainted one.
image.jpg

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:08 pm

I like that :)
I prefer to see the wood. How has yours got numbers on from 1 to 10? Mine hasn't got any numbers on?

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:23 pm

There are two variations of the machine with slightly different graphics and also the arrows are different sizes - your arrow maybe bigger.

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Ah right, cheers :) - learn something every day.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:03 pm

Yup, mines dark wood too! Go for it. :cool:

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:38 pm

It's gotta be better than black gloss. :)

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:52 pm

No way am I having my coffin painted black, gloss, matt or emulsion ..... I was thinking EEZY WIN fiberglass Red.
Are you available? :lol:

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:03 am

I've owned three of these and they were all black, plus every other example I've seen has been black or was once black. I kind of thought the same thing when I got the first example that it was strange they hid the oak. But in fact on stripping I found it's not totally hidden. The original black finish was very thin, thin enough that all the wood grain shows through. It's a subtle effect but very classy. This was either a black wood stain with clear finish over the top, or more likely a thin coat of black lacquer. I seem to remember respraying with lacquer as this matched up well with the original finish I found under coats or re-paint. I think the machine looks better like this as it stands out from hundreds of other oak finished cases - boring! Plus it's the way it was designed to be. If Brenner was like most makers they'd have chosen a soft wood for the cases since they were to be painted. But of course few would have survived the years in a softer wood due to the heavy mechanism.

Not only are there slight differences to the larger and smaller arrow versions on the outside, but the mechanisms are both quite different.
ball past arrow_3_1.jpg
ball past arrow rhd_2_1.jpg
Restored finish showing oak grain.

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:53 am

thanks gameswat :)
thats how i imagined it should of looked like with the wood grain showing through but thats the first one ive seen like that, it does look really nice that way, thats why i was thinking ebony wood stain as its almost black.