Riviera Cashcendo advice

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
ls14garlo

Riviera Cashcendo advice

Post by ls14garlo »

Just a quick question to satisfy my curiosity.... What's the tube for on the inside of the door for? It seems to have an electric supply to it but also looks like a coin tube. Is it for a bonus payout or something? !PUZZLED!

I'm sure there will be plenty more questions when I actually start to clean it up (and the Cop-a-lot) once I've finished messing with the Bonanza Star!! Here's what I mean....
Attachments
DSC_1454.JPG
coppinpr

Re: Riviera Cashcendo advice

Post by coppinpr »

It's a hand filled token or jackpot payout system. On your machine it's to pay the £1 jackpot as the slides can't handle £1 in 2p's. Usually (but not always) the electrical connection is made by the normal vertical payout fingers closing a switch when they go through the payout discs on the reels. If you look at the top of the mech, from the rear, on the left you should see the row of fingers. One will have a switch added if the connection is made through the fingers.
ls14garlo

Post by ls14garlo »

Thanks Coppinpr... Is there a way to know if it's working or not...? I don't do electricity ( yer can't see it = danger ha ha) Thanks though - again!! !THUMBS!

!SAINT!..... And I don't want to start on the other two until I'm happy with the Bonanza Star, I don't wanna push it with better half! :tut
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Plug it in and force a jackpot payout.

If you don't know how to stop the clock and do that you may find a lot of useful information here ......
Top Tips For Beginners
BP :cool:
ls14garlo

Post by ls14garlo »

Thanks Bp, I'll give it a go tomorrow...
ls14garlo

Post by ls14garlo »

I forced a jackpot but no joy dirtdog so the problem must lie with the switch or maybe the solenoid that fires it?

It's no secret that I'm not one to mess with electrics so it'll have to stay not working !PUZZLED!. I did check out the wiring and it's all complete and in very good condition.

Up at the top, behind the coin entry, is a short earth wire that's broken but it appears to connect to the lighting control unit and all that works fine, so I don't think that's anything to do with it.
I can't see any other damaged wiring so, for what it's worth, I think I'll have to leave it and just clean it and polish it up. The jackpot will only be very rare anyway so it's probably not a biggie..... I haven't yet had a minor win on it anyway ha ha!!

Could it have been manipulated to not win hardly?? For all the messing about I've done in the last couple of weeks, I'm still a noob and I thought that being mechanical it couldn't be fixed?
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

ls14garlo wrote:I haven't yet had a minor win on it anyway ha ha!!
I' m not sure whether this was in jest or serious but if you haven't had a minor win then that would tend to suggest that you have a problem generally with wins. Firstly, confirm if the machine is paying out on any wins.

It may be better to post some pictures of the mechanism in and out of the cabinet. In general, Rivieras, if they have have an added handload payout, would have had a mechanical handload tube fitted to the slide stack to drop additional 3 or 4 20p's in addition to the either 20p or 40p, the minor awards paid out to take the jackpot payout up to £1 from either 20p or 40p from the normal slide pay.

If you do take the pictures, just take care because this machine has an electrical solenoid payout on the door, rather than the usual mechanical option on the slidestack. The mechanism may have a wire connector attached to the non handle side that needs to be unclipped, prior to
sliding the mechanism forward to release it from the cabinet as done normally.

I think it's better you confirm that minor awards pay out normally before working to resolve the handload jackpot issue, but those pictures will help greatly I'm sure.

I'm surprised you haven't bought any other machines in the last 24 hours.

gp
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

As "aristomatc" says, trying all of the payouts now seems necessary.
Get the earth wire connected! We don't like losing new members so quickly.

When you say you've played it a bit but haven't had a minor win yet - does that mean you haven't had a winning line yet or that it just doesn't pay out, even when it should?

There should be a multi pin plug and socket - one fitted to the frame of the mechanism and one attached to the case. This connects the JP solenoid to the micro switch. Thus a JP winning line on the mech tells the solenoid to deliver the winnings. Do they exist? Are they connected?

BP
ls14garlo

Post by ls14garlo »

I've detached the plug to remove the reel mech, I meant I haven't had any winning lines yet(after dozens of plays) so I can't say if it pays out at all. The mechanism is now on the garage floor- are there any specific areas to get photos of?
Apart from the multi-pin plug I disconnected to remove the mech. and the area it's connected to at the back of the case there aren't any more multi-pin plugs that I can see.

The jackpot tube seems to be half open,do you think the earth will stop it operating,if that is what it's for,there is still a longer earth wire connected fine,they are both in the upper right of the inside of the case if that's any help?
I'll put some pictures on when I know if there's any specific ones to take of the reel mech.
I've currently got it in bits at the moment so I can start polishing up the chrome and clean the glasses/plastics...Thanks!!
ls14garlo

Post by ls14garlo »

The first photo is the rogue earth wire,it has snapped at the connector,I found it ( the connector) nestled among the years of dirt at the bottom of the case,I've now just re-earthed the wire to a nearby bolt..
In the second photo I took the cover off the electrics and noticed the black 5 amp fuse,is that for the jackpot at all because it's blown,photo 3 is a close up of it..
I've forced any random win( by stopping the governor fan) and nothing pays out !PUZZLED!
I hope this isn't going to turn into something nasty, I've looked through older posts for similar problems and I'm thinking it could be the timing,fingers crossed it isn't? :#:
Attachments
DSC_1476.JPG
DSC_1477.JPG
DSC_1473.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If the lights are working then I suppose the blown fuse is likely to be the solenoid.
Lights are usually 3 amp, so go down your local B&Q and get a card of fuse wire ( of course we'll need to give some thoughts to what blew it in the first place, but it might have been some numpty prodding around with a screwdriver)

As to the failure to pay out anything.
Stop the cycle as you have learnt so the reels are spinning loose .... remove the mechanism and take a photo of the back of it, then shove it on here.

BP
ls14garlo

Post by ls14garlo »

Right then, I'm back... I've sorted the fuse wire and the earth out... Now for the payout. Here's some photos and now I've noticed a couple of things:
A couple of the springs to return the payout slides were mixed up (wrapped round each other) and the slides were stuck in the "out" position so I've released them. As I did, about 6 coins fell out. The slides are rusty and not moving smoothly. Should I remove them and give them a light oil? (I know to keep them in the correct order).

The other thing is (1st and 4th photos), the saw-toothed gears with the slots in are not evenly spaced and one seems very slightly to not be running true. There's also a lot of scratching on the reels where the vertical fingers have been rubbing against the outer gear, instead of finding the slots.
There's also some small steel plates that have been soldered across some of the slots that the fingers would drop into to create a win (something an op would've done to stop bigger payouts?)

Am I right in thinking that over the years it's been tampered with to the point of it's most likely all out of sync by now? !!RANT!!
The reels are set on a forced win of 10 coins (3 oranges) so the horizontal fingers should be in whichever slots coincide with 3 oranges, not just sat up against the gear? If anyone needs any more specific pictures, just let me know... Thanks in advance my coin-op friends!! By the way, I'm sticking with three machines, I'm happy with my lot....(for now?)
Attachments
DSC_1478a.jpg
DSC_1489a.jpg
DSC_1480a.jpg
DSC_1490a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

ls14garlo wrote:The slides are rusty and not moving smoothly. Should I remove them and give them a light oil?
Remove, polish and clean, but don't lubricate the slides. I'll leave your other questions to the bandit experts...
ls14garlo wrote:By the way, I'm sticking with three machines, I'm happy with my lot....(for now?)
:lol:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

"NOOOOO DON'T OIL THE SLIDES". Never use oil anywhere near any part that handles coins.
Remove the slides placing them in order just to make sure you replace them in the same order. If they are rusty, remove the rust with fine wire wool or emery paper. They should come up nice and shiny in fact.

Check the long springs are good; take the opportunity to check the small pull springs that move the horizontal fingers while your at it (at least one of these is not good in the photo); clean under and around the slide area while they are out; check the slide brake operated by the fan is working correctly (this moves across to the slides to hold them in place during the cycle); replace the slides. Buy or make a spring puller to help you re locate the springs on the lugs (each spring at the same level as the slide).

Going to stick to three machines... yeah sure, I said that at 5...10...15 :lol:
Last edited by coppinpr on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Payout problems:
The plugs on the reel discs are normal. Most machines have had changes over the years. They will relate to the reel strips so all winners on the reel strips should pay. The marks on the outer reel disc are also normal (remember the fingers hit the disc every time there is a loser) as long as they are dinks or small scratches. If they are long scratches then the fingers are hitting the reel disc too soon.

Until the slides are cleaned and refitted correctly there is no knowing if it's paying out or not. Can we see a photo of the handle side of the mech down low? The switch to fire the solenoid is not up high on the vertical fingers, so I'm trying to find it - it could be on the low side.

Take the solenoid slide out as you would the mech slides and clean it. If it's stuck or coin jammed it could blow that fuse.

The jackpot unit has been added and is not factory fitted I think. It's very simple and easy to fix. It can only be the switch (wherever it is), the solenoid or its springs (possible but not likely - they seem to go on for ever) or the wiring (easy to test).

Easy to say leave it as it is... but try it - it will annoy the hell out of you.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Doh!!!! ...... Do you remember me referring you to a section of this forum titled Top Tips For Beginners ?
The first tip says : -
I'll start with ........

Do Not use grease, light oil should be used but never where coins travel or sit within the mechanism.
:lol:
ls14garlo

Post by ls14garlo »

I haven't had time to have a go at the slides yet but here's a couple of photos to be getting on with :woops:

As you can see on the jackpot solenoid there's a label relating to the company that fitted it: Coin Controls, Royton, Oldham, and it's also written 1x £1 and what I thinks says 240v. Is anyone familiar with them and how would it pay out the £1 as it's a 2p machine? The tube is quite large in diameter, so I'm assuming it would be 50 x 2's?

There are two switches low down on each side. Both seem to be wired soundly and make the nice clicking sound when depressed. On one side they're switched to the clock arm and the other side the payout fingers. The wiring looks in good condition. I'll post again when I've had chance to clean up the slides and the area around later.... Ta-ra for now.. A.
Attachments
DSC_1500a.jpg
DSC_1498a.jpg
DSC_1497a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Well there is no way its 50 * 2p and seeing as the label says 1 * £1 I would say that is the answer. I would guess one switch fires the solenoid and one cuts the circuit resetting the jp unit. shouldnt take much to make it work it look ok
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Shove a meter across it.
As it's 240V, best to not plug it in, but use a continuity tester.

If you don't have or don't know how to without fusing the street lights then physically check all connections especially at the plugs.
ls14garlo

Post by ls14garlo »

Yeah, I've checked all the connections - they look and feel fine.... As for the jackpot tube, I hadn't even checked the size but it does suit pound coins. It must've not been in private use for very long, pound coins haven't really been out that long.

I've managed to get it paying out now and landing on winning lines as well after a good clean and polish. The spring on the bottom slide had come off the slide itself! I've made sure it's well oiled so it doesn't seize up as well everyone..... !!ESCAPE!!
I'll try out the jackpot tomorrow....