Somebody knows... Maybe you?
tammy

Tokens/coins found in Roman Head bandit

Postby tammy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:34 pm

I found these 3 old penny size tokens/coins in the front window of a 1930s goose necked one are bandit in 1973. I still have them but have never seen anything similar. They are old penny size with a quality milled edge and look. I at first thought they were gold but then realised probably gilt coated. They were wrapped in a little newspaper and even today have a mint look... Photos haven't come out good! Writing on portrait side reads "HRN The Prince of Wales, KG" and the reverse is like a Jewish star and words "GUILD MEMBER T.C."

Does anyone know anything about them please? Thank you, John.
Picture-125a.jpg

treefrog

Re: Rare tokens/coins found in 1930s Roman Head bandit case window?? What are they? can you help??

Postby treefrog » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:39 pm

Some kind of token for a group or guild, but the Hexagram was not just used by the Jewish community, but also used by Masons, the Guild of Brewers and for Satanic purposes. So make your guesses. Knowing some of the previous Prince of Wales had associations with the Masons, I would place my bet there.

tammy

Re: Rare tokens/coins found in 1930s Roman Head bandit case window?? What are they? can you help??

Postby tammy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Thank you for 1st reply. On the early Mills Roman Head bandit (which was from the Reighton Gap arcade originally) on the reel strips were picture of gold award coins- could these coin tokens been the original from the 30s period, but why over all my years in slot collecting have I never ever seen one before or after. I have over the later years aquired plenty of all the usual old penny tokens but still feel these are possibly rare and need explaining what they are esp' whilst the older generations are still here to do it. Even amongst the coin collecting world nothing similar seems to exist. The quality on these tokens is very high (the photo is poor). Has anyone else any ideas especially those who were in the old penny machine trade in those days???

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:04 pm

They're difficult to make out in your picture - I think you need to set the camera to macro or move further away to get focus. However, I'm pretty sure they're not coin-op related, despite being found in a one arm bandit. Here's the Mills Roman Head Gold Award reel symbol and a token from said machine, featuring a stylized owl (Mills logo).
reels-gold-award.jpg
reels-gold-award.jpg (9.35 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
gold-awards.jpg

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:12 pm

And can't say I've ever seen a high quality coin-op token of any kind, always rudimentary at best.

bob

Postby bob » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:22 am

Oh Gameswat how can you of all people, an Aussie say that. The prize token in my collection is one put out in 1927 by Mick (sadly I can't remember his surname) the owner of a milk bar/amusement parlour in the town of Katoomba in the blue mountains just outside of Sydney Australia. This has "MICK I AMICUS HUMANIS GENESIS 1927" (latin for "Mick a friend of the human race" inscribed on one side and "BANK OF LA PLAZA KATOOMBA" encircling "LOANED FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY" on the reverse side.
What's more, you too can be the owner of one of these most elegant penny sized tokens, as there is one on sale on Australian ebay at the moment: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330982213165 ... K:MEWAX:IT for sale for $A30.
eBay item number: 330982213165
tokenB.JPG
tokenA.JPG

bob

Postby bob » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:01 am

Just noticed that there are two more of these tokens on Australian ebay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUSTRALIA-19 ... 0982213165
and:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1927-BANK-of ... 1677837062

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:34 am

Ah yes Bob, totally forgot about that one, as I didn't find it myself but you gave it to me! And thanks for the eBay links as I just purchased the cheapest. I used to look for these every now and again and in all the years only saw one previous to these for sale on eBay, and wasn't cheap.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:50 pm

pennymachines wrote:Here's the Mills Roman Head Gold Award reel symbol and a token from said machine, featuring a stylized owl (Mills logo).

Really? ..... Strewth, and there was me all these years thinking it was amphorae with mystic symbols like pyramid and Pharoah type symbols, but what that's got to do with Romans, lord only knows.
Owl will do I suppose, although I still can't see it.

BP

gameswat

Re: Rare tokens/coins found in 1930s Roman Head bandit case window. What are they?

Postby gameswat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:11 pm

badpenny wrote:pennymachines wrote:
Here's the Mills Roman Head Gold Award reel symbol and a token from said machine, featuring a stylized owl (Mills logo).

I totally missed that quote PM, worst owl I've ever seen!

Really? ..... Strewth, and there was me all these years thinking it was amphorae with mystic symbols like pyramid and Pharoah type symbols, but what that's got to do with Romans, lord only knows.
Owl will do I suppose, although I still can't see it.
Really? ..... Strewth, and there was me all these years thinking it was a laying maiden with her knee up, taking a hard earned rest after holding and pouring that damn amphorae on the front of the machine since the early 1930s!?!