Tokens/coins found in Roman Head bandit

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
tammy

Re: Rare tokens/coins found in 1930s Roman Head bandit case window. What are they?

Post by tammy »

Phew!! Wouldn't some of you back pedal if our expert in the amusement trade of old said they are a vintage amusement suppliers gold award tokens from the 30s and possibly worth a sheer fortune!!!
Ha ha let's see if Freddie Bailey has any knowledge on them!!!!!
ps. Seriously I too have had many old slot machine tokens and a few even used as washers or soldered on as a weight but until someone can actually tell me possibly from past knowledge I will still entertain my original thoughts. But thank you for your comments which have been noted. tammy
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Rare tokens/coins found in 1930s Roman Head bandit case window. What are they?

Post by pennymachines »

tammy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:03 am ...unless I have got it wrong, site private messages and site email don't allow me to send pictures... so maybe the site administrator could copy and paste them to him.

Why not just send him this link? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5530&start=10#p52520

Your pics are still not very clear because the camera was moving.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Tammy, hey believe what you think is right, but you asked on a public forum for our thoughts, your lack of any proof isn't changing my mind. Have you asked on token and medal collecting forums? Because asking on a coin-op forum and then claiming that nobody who was there at the time has shown proof otherwise isn't great research, especially when it seems to have nothing to do with anything coin-op. The fact is nowhere on the thing does it have a known company or operators name or say "Gold Award"! I could just as easily say it's a very rare One Penny coin, purely because it's the same size and has the monarchs image, doesn't matter that it's not stamped One Penny does it?!
tammy

Post by tammy »

Hi,
I used to collect coins as a young man and gave away to a young relative that collection just a few years ago.
Funnily, I have just dug out the slot machine tokens I have.
Can't help feeling the 3 tokens found in the Roman head bandit look interesting though.
Attachments
20190310_153444a.jpg
20190310_153357a.jpg
tammy

Post by tammy »

With putting the tokens on site I did it under Questions and Answers... perhaps someone knows what they are.
All up to now have been guesses I suppose. I go on forums when I have a problem with vehicles and work on what people often know what the problem is... ie I wouldn't accept always what advice comes from them. And so it is at the moment with these tokens. They are of interest surely! I know the part history of the bandit in question as it was in a ring of machines in the 1950s and 60s. I will have played on it as a child. That compartment hadn't been opened for a long time when I bought the machine from the arcade owner in a batch in the early 1970s.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

You could take a decent photo of both sides of your coins (in focus, camera on tripod or other fixed support, diffuse lighting) and email them to: https://sites.google.com/site/malstokens/contact

Mals is the definitive website on British coin machine, vending, military, trade and other assorted tokens.
tammy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:34 pm Writing on portrait side reads "HRN The Prince of Wales, KG"
Did you mean, "HRH"?
Can you make out which Prince of Wales is depicted? What metal? Coin, medal or token, "Guild Member" and a hexagram hint at masonic.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

It's clearly, as Bingham says David, who became king Edward VIII for a short time, (Jan 1936 till Dec 1936) that likeness would date from abut 1934/35.

A closer look at the star shows it to be an interlocked triangle star so definitely not masonic (the masonic star is two triangles symbolising a masons square, plum line and callipers laid one over the other) but possibly Jewish.

This very early Jennings clock I have has an unusual use for tokens - they are attached to the fan as fly weights.
Attachments
clock token.jpg
clock token.jpg (51.41 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
brigham

Post by brigham »

Jewish or Methodist.
Methodists also use this symbol, along with (surprisingly) the Burning Cross.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The use of burning crosses by non-Catholic religions is not unusual. The cross is very much a Catholic symbol, not a protestant one (no one buried in Protestant England in the 17th Cent would have considered having a cross as a grave marker - too papist). Living as I do in Lewes I know all too well about the Protestant burning cross. !OMFG!
Attachments
Lewes High Street Nov 5th 2019
Lewes High Street Nov 5th 2019
tammy

Re: Tokens/coins found in Roman Head bandit

Post by tammy »

Thank you coppinpr and bingham for your earlier observations about the tokens. Tammy