Bryans 1930s Payramid jackpot

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
silverbitz

Bryans 1930s Payramid jackpot

Post by silverbitz »

Hi Everyone,
After a great day at the Coundon auction, I'm still on my quest for a few pre war machines! I've so far only managed to buy a clown catcher and have posted a request for a replacement base but unfortunately haven't had any response yet!. Thanks for the heads up on restoration by the way. I eventually simply degreased the wood which left the stain intact and then re-polished. It came out much better than I would have thought and although the 'spam' tin stain to the top is still evident... it's much better than before and the machine still retains its original patina.

I have also just been offered a rather nice early Bryan's Payramid (perhaps similar to that in the auction) but as you will see by the picture, it would seem the payout casing etc. is missing. Much as I fancy/want this machine, I see no point as I'm sure it would be unlikely the parts are available (unless someone can advise otherwise). Don't need another garage filler! !THUMBS!
Attachments
photo2a.jpg
photo8.jpg
bryans fan

Re: Bryan's Payramid..What a shame!

Post by bryans fan »

I think that if the price is reasonable you should not hesitate and buy it! Its not missing a great deal, we are all here to help. Also there is a very good patent drawing to help.
It is a great machine and surely everyone wants a Payramid in their collection.
I do hope that you don`t get PM`d with people wanting it!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I second that. If the asking price is too high, fair enough, but make sure you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. These are worth going the extra mile for and I'm sure the work required is not beyond your capabilities.
silverbitz

Post by silverbitz »

Hi guys, I've looked at the patent and think I understand the principle. Pictures on Mr. Wrights site show the 'casing' around the tube and slide, so I've probably concluded that it's more complicated than it really is! The easy question to ask is whether other Bryan's machines use a similar payout slide for adaption in some way? I ask this as I'm more used to bandit mechs.
silverbitz

Re: Bryan's Payramid... What a shame!

Post by silverbitz »

A deal was done on the payramid and should arrive next week!. So I may as well continue the thread early by asking if anyone has any spare 'payout' bits for this that they will sell? (I have also placed in the 'Market'). Picture below show one complete as oppose to the one above.
Attachments
paymech1.jpg
paymech1.jpg (21.68 KiB) Viewed 5746 times
silverbitz

Post by silverbitz »

It arrived yesterday!! I am very pleased with the machine so far. It works very well, only needing a few minor adjustments.
If anyone has one of these, I would appreciate a couple of close-ups of the payout situation. My jackpot is complete but would also like to see how it is 'fed' presumably from the top of the slide tube?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Congratulations on your acquisition! I'm sure you won't regret it but, as one of the folk who chivvied you into it, perhaps I should offer some support.
The payout unit, as far as I'm aware, is unique to this machine. The hopper is sand-cast and soldered to some tin-work, Attached by bolts to the tin-work is a bent metal guide with directs overflow to the jackpot. Attached by threaded screws to the base of the hopper is a sprung plate, against which the two-penny slide runs. The slide itself (not shown) is an angled flat bar which would not be hard to fabricate, but I can't pretend the whole task is trivial. If you can make it sometime to my neck of the woods (Birmingham), I would be willing to assist.
Attachments
Left side
Left side
Rear
Rear
Right side
Right side
Underside
Underside
silverbitz

Post by silverbitz »

Superb!... Thanks for the pics. The patent is good but the pics certainly clear up a couple of niggles. I have some bits that will be useful but could do with some form of base or slide to get up and running. Have contacted a few people but the only promising one was a chap who apparently had sold a couple of part machines pre Christmas. Just my luck!. I'Il drop in when passing sunny brum. (Unless the buyer visits this site!.)
silverbitz

Post by silverbitz »

Crude but it works!. Made the outer casing and 'jackpot guide' as well. Just got to put it together now!
Attachments
Picture-002.jpg
Picture-001.jpg
yaksplat

Post by yaksplat »

I'm jealous, that looks like a great find!

I'd love to run across something like that in the States.
alan57

Payramid 1930s version jackpot won't reset

Post by alan57 »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Yesterday I managed to win the Jackpot on my 1930s version of the Bryans Payramid (Showman).
When I put another penny in the slot, the jackpot trap door is still opening and closing when the handle is turned. For some reason it doesn't want to reset itself :!?!:
It's the first time the jackpot has been activated since I've had the machine, so I'm not sure if this problem has always been there.
Anybody any ideas what could be causing this problem.
dirk55

Re: Payramid 1930's version jackpot won't reset

Post by dirk55 »

Hi allan, does this help?
alan57

Re: Payramid 1930s version jackpot won't reset

Post by alan57 »

Thanks got it sorted.
I wonder what the record is for the amount of wins after the jackpot is paid out, I managed the 8 balls plus another 1 ball -
8 balls = 8 pennies plus jackpot of approx 50 pennies
plus 1 ball = 2 pennies
oxford allwin fan

Re: Payramid 1930s version jackpot won't reset

Post by oxford allwin fan »

I've got the mk1 Payramid and the jackpot won't pay out; different mechanism to the one shown above; anybody got any hints please? Cheers chaps.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bryan's 1930s Payramid jackpot

Post by pennymachines »

I've merged your query with an earlier topic showing the '30s Payramid jackpot.
You'll find detailed drawings and description of how the jackpot works in the Archive/Patents: GB431216