How many spins?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
margamatix

How many spins?

Post by margamatix »

On a 1950-ish Ruffler and Walker allwin, how many times ought the ball to travel around the spirals before dropping into a cup or the lose hole?

Mine has only ever done two or three loops although the spring seems strong. Recently, in Great Yarmouth I played a lot of allwins and all were sending the ball around the spirals six times or so.

Over the "lose" hole, there is a heavy brass flag, and it seems to be this which slows the ball down so much. Excuse the poor photo, I should have taken one by daylight rather than by using flash.
PHOT0015-3.jpg

Some allwins seem to have this flag but the majority don't. Is this original or a showman's modification?

Any thoughts welcome.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Newton's third law of thingy refers

Post by badpenny »

Assuming you haven't got one of those massive gargantuan machines that need a steam powered hammer to fire the ball (every 24 cup size machine I've seen appears laborious), then check the following: -

* Is the spring the right one?
*Does the flag over the lose 'ole have restricted swing due to a couple nails having been placed either side of it?
* At rest, does the tip of the hammer sit inside the cowling?

The first question is obvious, the second one seriously slows the ball down with the intention of directing it towards the lose hole instead of allowing it to energetically rise to the occassion. The third one happens because the tip of the hammer sacrifices itself instead of damaging the ball. As the tip shortens, it retreats inside the cowling and only strikes the ball as it is already de-accelerating after having first come into contact with the rubber bung that stops it from smashing into the frame. If so, adjust the rubber bung.

zenataomm :cool: