Opening an old penny arcade in the UK

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Re: Opening an old penny arcade in the UK

Post by coppinpr »

Others will know more than me about a licence but I think you're OK if it's considered a travelling arcade (which you could call it) and it's on old coins. JC is the expert on this.

You will need insurance - this is very cheap and comes in the form of show/fair public liability insurance. I use this when displaying or selling stuff at county shows etc. Some places try to charge you high premiums but it should not cost you more than £60 for a year (I do not know if it's available cheaper for shorter periods, could be). Where will the display be?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

This is a question that comes up regularly.
A quick answer using the Search facility top right of the page comes up with This.

That was using the words operating + old penny + arcade. Using Advanced Search and different words should bring out more, as a lot has been shared about the complexities of this subject.
It is a moving picture and can be interpreted by different authorities and councils in varied ways.
Public liability insurance is essential whatever you're doing.

BP
JC

Post by JC »

In this instance, you may not need insurance - you're not running a business operating vintage penny machines; you've been asked by the organisers of the event to attend, so you may well be covered by their insurance (and the organisers will certainly require insurance).
Consider this: on the day of the event, you've set yourself up a little stall with a few machines - will the old lady on the stall next to you flogging home-made jam have insurance? Will the vicar who has set himself up to have wet sponges thrown at him by nasty little Sunday school children have insurance? In the eyes of the law, perhaps they do all require insurance individually, but I'll bet my house that they won't.
My advice would be to talk to the organisers and ask if all those attending are covered by the event insurance. And if not, don't bother to attend, because what little you make is not likely to cover the cost of the insurance.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sounds like you've already stood at this event JC, was it worth it? More importantly do they do a wet T shirt contest?
BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If this is indeed just a school or village do then I suspect you're right Jerry, but if it's a bigger thing like a village carnival or country fair it's not that you need it but rather that the organisers will ask to see the insurance before letting you set up. So you're right, first thing to do is check with the organisers and, if they say you don't, get them to put that in writing.

Actually JC I don't think Polaris is looking to make a profit, just have some fun and show of his stuff. Perhaps I'm wrong. :lol:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

More importantly do they do a wet T shirt contest?
no point in asking BP, you'd never win at your age !:STOP:!
polaris

Post by polaris »

Many thanks for all the info. Really just laziness not searching at least this way I get some definite answers without putting in the legwork :) it's actually a fete to raise funds for the local community centre and was happy to show up and do my part for free just not sure where I stood. Think it probably ok for me to do so
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Make sure you don't put any Sega Continentals​ on any of those delicate church trestle tables.