Old Bally EM 3 reel, is the payout random?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
lucky_twins

Old Bally EM 3 reel, is the payout random?

Post by lucky_twins »

Hi
I have a Bally Lucky Twins EM machine. I have a question - is the payout percentage random or is it loaded? Mine doesn't seem to 'pay out' that often. The single cherry is fairly frequent, but the bigger ones are very rare, if at all? Is this right, or is there some adjustment I can make? I guess the electronic machines are programmed, but as this is only EM, I don't know what can be done, if anything? Otherwise, it's a great bit of early '70s vintage :-) Is there any way to date it or give it a model number? I cannot see a nameplate anywhere, or even where one may have been?
Any assistance would be great.
Thanks,
Rob
clubconsoles

Re: Old Bally EM 3 reel, is the payout random?

Post by clubconsoles »

Hi Rob
If it is like my Bally Circus, the % payout is worked out on the reel strips and is not adjustable.
Yours will likely be the same?
If your machine has a hold and draw feature, it may well be adjustable.
There is a US forum called "New Life Games" that discuss Bally bandits at length and probably have the answer in their archive.
Good luck with the search.
lucky_twins

Post by lucky_twins »

Hi Nigel
Thanks for your reply, yes, mine sounds similar, no hold features, just insert coin and pull handle.
So the win is random and just down to when the reels are stopped and the payout is determined by how many matching symbols are on the reel tapes, is that correct?
I know there is an eccentric cam mechanism on the left hand side that gets advanced after each play, I don't know exactly what that does, but it seems to change the spin duration?
Cheers
Rob
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

So the win is random and just down to when the reels are stopped and the pay out is determined by how many matching symbols are on the reel tapes, is that correct?
Yes ,thats correct, %'s were often changed by the operator changing the symbols on the reels and blocking off the win holes on mechanical machines.I have also found "bugs" added to the reels to upset the balance and stop jackpots coming up and star wheel teeth removed from the reel so it cant stop on certain symbols :-(

Mechanical machines had an eccentric cam on the clock to slightly change the reel spin duration in case (heaven forbid) you were good enough to pull the handle exactly the same and repeat a winner I suspect the cam you have is a modern version of this "anti cheat"
ballymad

Post by ballymad »

You can calculate the percentage, but for your machine it will be around the 82% mark. :D
lucky_twins

Post by lucky_twins »

Thanks gents for your help...
Is calculating the % payout as simple as 100p in = 82p out = 82%
If that is the case mine is way off, maybe get 30p back for 100p in? Hope my understanding is wrong ;-)
Cheers
Rob
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

is your machine running on 1p? if so you need to play about £10 then count your winnings to even get close to the correct % :burp:
lucky_twins

Post by lucky_twins »

Yes, running on 1p's
I will give it a try when I have a bit of spare time.

PS... would anyone know how to date it, or model number as it doesn't have any nameplate?
Will try and take some pics.