1929 Bradley Challenger restoration

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
mei-mei

1929 Bradley Challenger restoration

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, does anyone have photos of the case (in particular the back) of the 1929 Challenger?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: 1929 Bradley Challenger

Post by pennymachines »

Here's a rough one... The square hole, top left, shouldn't be there. :tut
Attachments
CH2.jpg
CH1.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

pennymachines wrote:The square hole, top left, shouldn't be there.

But the square hole top right is correct then? :burp:

I might add the back is made of plywood with a lip that fits into a groove in the cabinet, so once glued it can't come out.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Thanks for the pics. Is that pretty typical to all older machines? On the one I have there seems to be a split just above the cash box, mind you there have been so many alterations to it, I thought it was something else to begin with :lol:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Gameswat wrote:But the square hole top right is correct then?
The hole top right seems to be connected to the hole top left... !WEIRD!
mei-mei wrote:Is that pretty typical to all older machines?
The very early ones usually have softwood panel backs, but ply is the norm post '20s. Aside from the obvious economic advantage, woodworm eat the ply before moving on to the tougher stuff, giving you a chance to spot them early.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Ply it is then. Just loath those free loading wood worm! :evil: Thanks for your help. Mei-mei
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, does anyone know where I could get copies of the triangular information plaques that appear to the top of this machine? Mei-mei
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

There is some on resources
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, thanks for the info, but I am new to this system and don't know how to access that. Could you talk me through it? Mei-mei
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Just go to forum index and click on Resources.
mei-mei

Bradley Challenger restore

Post by mei-mei »

Topic split, moved & merged - Site Admin.

Got ya, thanks.
Do you still have these? If so how do I proceed? I have not done this before. Thank you, Mei-mei.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bradley Challenger Name Plates

Post by pennymachines »

Slotalot posted them so we can make our own.
Not easy to reproduce convincingly. Have a look at this thread: Restoring, inpainting & reproducing machine plaques etc. and see what Gameswat achieved here: 1940s Hi Top restoration questions
If you succeed, post a picture and win the undying admiration of us all! !THUMBS!
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, thanks for the heads up. I have emailed the guy who makes up the plates and will let you know if I get any response. I don't think my skills run to the efforts of the other guy, so will keep my fingers crossed. Mei-mei
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, the guy that does the plates has got back to me. He can make them easily enough, but needs measurements of the plates, the distance between holes and a real clear pic to work from. Does anyone have this info, as my machine has no plates at all? Mei-mei
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

mei-mei wrote:Hi, the guy that does the plates has got back to me.
Is that vintagebrassplates.co.uk ?

Have you talked prices?
My Challenger (whose rear I photographed for you recently) has no plates either. I suspect there are others who might need some of these too.
I have original plates on another machine, so if the cost is sensible, maybe I could post them (recorded) to the company for accurate copying. Perhaps this would be preferable to sending images?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Oh, so simple brass rubbings are good enough for foreigners to Westminster Abbey but not good enough for you PM?!
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Have talked prices and estimated at £120.00 before I gave him the correct measurements. I bought my machine at a low price so the addition of £120.00 is not a prob. I will be experimenting with taking a mould in silicon and making a replica in acrylic. Will let you know how I get on, though prob won't have anything to work with until Jan Feb next year.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Ta Daaa! With the exception of a little touch up paint work that I just spotted on the photo, she is now as near to original as I can make it. Bit touch and go removing the appalling laminate on the exterior as I did not know what condition the wood was going to be in underneath. I don't use clear varnish on my machines as it leaves a harsh glare, but use Button Polish which is not a polish as it sounds. (An old french polishing trick I learned years ago) as the layers build up it gives a nice honey tone to the finish while leaving a durable seal to the wood. Before and after pics below, I left the glass off to reduce the reflection in the pic.
Attachments
mine-4a.jpg
mine-3a.jpg
P1010001-(5)a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: 1929 Bradley Challenger restoration

Post by pennymachines »

That looks like excellent work Mei-Mei - a transformation. Those furniture restoring skills will be very useful in this hobby. I'm just sorry to see Father Christmas didn't bring you that tripod. !!UHOH!!

I also like a bit of the old button polish, usually applied by brush rather than rubbing pads, on the basis that post '30s production probably didn't afford time-consuming, high gloss French polishing on these games.

While hiding machines from my family this Christmas I discovered another Challenger without instruction plates. I'm thinking some of that £120 you were quoted must include set up costs, so maybe it will come down a bit if we were to order a quantity. I might give the fellow a call in the New Year. !!CHEERS!!
mei-mei

Re: 1929 Bradley Challenger restoration

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, thanks for the tips. I am a bit worried by the bloke that does the plates. He email me back after I had sent the correct measurements and there was a wait of 2 days until he got back to me saying, 'My email site has gone down and I have to set up a new one before I can get back to you with costs and time scale, prob in the New Year'. Very concerned that this might be a scam as how the hell does your site go down if you are professional? Suggestions?