Bryans Clock machine

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Re: Bryans Clock machine

Post by gameswat »

It's very difficult to retouch these old papers once darkened like that. I've tried water paint over smaller blemishes but it's always noticeable. Should not be hard to get a replacement or print one yourself.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I know we've discussed this before, but interesting to have it confirmed that Oliver Whales made replacement faces for Bryans Clocks. Presumably they had an agreement on copyright. I think Whales also printed the version with fruit symbols.

Sixwin paperwork is in Resources.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

I am very fortunate to have a friend who is a professional printer who works at a university. I have copied pieces of art work into my photo folder before and can do a great deal of touch up using the erase option then I print it out onto a new piece of card and retouch by hand. She then can print out the final product, but this one is too far gone for that.
I have attached a couple of photos to show you the success I have had with this method. This particular penny machine had a silk screen pic printed onto the reverse of a bevelled glass. It had deteriorated beyond help and every time I move the glass more of the pic flaked off. I copied a pic of what was left into my photo folder, used the method above and then sent the finished work to my friend by email. Then came the difficult bit. She has the use of a flat bed printer at the university and after I had cleaned the original pic from the bevelled glass, she printed the renovated pic onto the reverse. Stage 2, I purchased a can of glazers silver and put several coats over the back of the glass on top of the pic. First pic flaky second repaired. (Sorry it's a bit out of focus) Pretty much good as new!
Attachments
P1010049a.jpg
P1010006a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It looks very good, as far as I can see. :o Methinks you need to invest in a tripod. !!PHOTO!!
The can of glazer's silver sounds interesting. I must try that.
Did you keep the original?
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

The spray you can get in a can on Ebay aprox 6.00 if I remember correctly. No original of the pic exists now as with gritted teeth I had to remove it from the glass so that the renovated pic could be put in place. Really struggled with that decision as did not want to loose the silk screening, but only way to get anything that could be used on the machine. If I had kept it a new glass would have been needed and the cost of one that could only be made by hand with the bevelling etc was quoted to me at 95.00. I did try to stabilise the original but it would not hold.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I wonder if it'd be any good for repairing the glass in Duomats? :!?!:
Attachments
pg.jpg
pg.jpg (6.73 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Does the actual image have any degridation?
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

P1010002-(3)a.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny wrote:I wonder if it'd be any good for repairing the glass in Duomats? :!?!:
I don't see why not.
BTW, BP - just got your pictorial pun. !DOH!
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, not sure if you got me message re 'glazers spray', the outcome depends on the image you are covering, if any. If it has suffered any degredation you will have to address that first or the glass finish will show through.
raj

Post by raj »

all the artwork for this is available in 'Resources' on a tab in this forum, print onto decent weight semi gloss paper and it should do just right. The clock hands were available from Hobbies, last time I bought one, or other clock related retailers. The mechs are made from WW2 tank parts, so are bomb proof, so to speak. Shot blasting to remove rust & respray with suitable car paint will enhance the metal. Ebay for the spring, or ask the forum, with dimensions, and someone might have a suitable replacement.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Great thanks. I was a bit stumped with the clock hands because of the length. Also I found when removing the clock face that the bolts are metric? Bit odd for a 1930's machine, unless it has been tinkered with before.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, got the clock face off with a mixture of metric and imperial spanners and weirdly enough a screw driver so thinking someone has definately tinkered with this before. Does anyone have a pic of the inside of the machine viewed from the front, (clock face off as i seem to have a few springs dangling and it would be helpful if I knew where they attached to? Ta Mei-mei

I wish this site had a spell check!
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, can anyone confirm that the penny return button located on the top of the machine is sited just off centre? I have to replace the top on mine and the old one seems to be aprox 50 mm off centre. Also just a refresher, does anyone have a pic of the front of the machine, (clock face off) as I have a few dangling springs I need to know where they go. Thanks a bunch, Mei-mei
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Mei-mei, the button on the top of your clock is most likely to be a 'skill stop'. Its purpose is to slow the hands so that by using your skill and judgement you can stop the hands on a win. It really doesn't do very much other than to supposedly make the game one of skill rather than chance. Search 'clock jackpot and skill stop' for lots of information and photos. Sorry I can't help with front photos as mine are from the back.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

I appreciate your assistance thank you 13rebel, Happy New Year.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Happy new year to you too.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Thanks, are you able to tell me about the placement of the stop button?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

On the top, by the coin entry.