Bryans Clock machine

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
mei-mei

Bryans Clock machine

Post by mei-mei »

Hi all, I have just bought what might be a white elephant, but looks suspiciously like a Bryans clock! It is absolutely rusty and I am trying to work out which of the bolts I need to undo to remove the mechanism in one go. All suggestions will be appreciated, except for the rude ones!!! Thank you, Mei-mei
coppinpr

Re: BRYANS CLOCK MACHINE

Post by coppinpr »

at the risk of repeating myself !TWWP!

:lol:
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

I only do it 'cos I like the sound of your voice! :lol: Pics below :lol:
Attachments
P1010004-(1)a.jpg
P1010003-(1)a.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Classic British slot machine the Clock, and looks like a very decent restorable project. Great way to learn on a simpler project. Those mechs are about as solidly built from simple bolt together steel bar & rod as you could get, like Meccano on steroids.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Thank you Gameswat. Seems pretty rusty on first sight but on closer inspection is sound. What are the metal rods that run down the rear back of the machine for, are they to strengthen the frame because of the weight of the machine? Also I have a pretty extensive spring collection, but not a replacement for the very big one at the back, suggestions of where I might buy one? Thanks again, Mei-mei
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bryans Clock machine

Post by pennymachines »

I think four fasteners hold the mechanism to the base and one at the top. You have the early Sixwin Clock which paid on even numbers only. It looks like the hour hand is missing. I'm not sure which metal rods you're referring to.
For springs, forum member wemblylion recommended: Entex Stock Springs
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Thanks guys, very helpful checking that sight now. I think the metal rods may have been added at a later date as they seem to be attached through the top of the machine with a very ugly visible screw. Maybe because the front brackets that secure the machine to the bace are missing? Mei-mei
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes this one was on eBay from Devon, was cheap enough at £275,

Your right about hand not being there
Attachments
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

'replacement dial by Whales of Redcar' - unusual?
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Agreed, was hoping to reuse this one with a bit of touch up, but it just disintigrated when I tried to remove it. Bother! :oops:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

It's very difficult to retouch these old papers once darkened like that. I've tried water paint over smaller blemishes but it's always noticeable. Should not be hard to get a replacement or print one yourself.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I know we've discussed this before, but interesting to have it confirmed that Oliver Whales made replacement faces for Bryans Clocks. Presumably they had an agreement on copyright. I think Whales also printed the version with fruit symbols.

Sixwin paperwork is in Resources.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

I am very fortunate to have a friend who is a professional printer who works at a university. I have copied pieces of art work into my photo folder before and can do a great deal of touch up using the erase option then I print it out onto a new piece of card and retouch by hand. She then can print out the final product, but this one is too far gone for that.
I have attached a couple of photos to show you the success I have had with this method. This particular penny machine had a silk screen pic printed onto the reverse of a bevelled glass. It had deteriorated beyond help and every time I move the glass more of the pic flaked off. I copied a pic of what was left into my photo folder, used the method above and then sent the finished work to my friend by email. Then came the difficult bit. She has the use of a flat bed printer at the university and after I had cleaned the original pic from the bevelled glass, she printed the renovated pic onto the reverse. Stage 2, I purchased a can of glazers silver and put several coats over the back of the glass on top of the pic. First pic flaky second repaired. (Sorry it's a bit out of focus) Pretty much good as new!
Attachments
P1010049a.jpg
P1010006a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It looks very good, as far as I can see. :o Methinks you need to invest in a tripod. !!PHOTO!!
The can of glazer's silver sounds interesting. I must try that.
Did you keep the original?
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

The spray you can get in a can on Ebay aprox 6.00 if I remember correctly. No original of the pic exists now as with gritted teeth I had to remove it from the glass so that the renovated pic could be put in place. Really struggled with that decision as did not want to loose the silk screening, but only way to get anything that could be used on the machine. If I had kept it a new glass would have been needed and the cost of one that could only be made by hand with the bevelling etc was quoted to me at 95.00. I did try to stabilise the original but it would not hold.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I wonder if it'd be any good for repairing the glass in Duomats? :!?!:
Attachments
pg.jpg
pg.jpg (6.73 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Does the actual image have any degridation?
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

P1010002-(3)a.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny wrote:I wonder if it'd be any good for repairing the glass in Duomats? :!?!:
I don't see why not.
BTW, BP - just got your pictorial pun. !DOH!