Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Re: Bryans Clock machine

Postby gameswat » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:10 am

It's very difficult to retouch these old papers once darkened like that. I've tried water paint over smaller blemishes but it's always noticeable. Should not be hard to get a replacement or print one yourself.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:32 am

I know we've discussed this before, but interesting to have it confirmed that Oliver Whales made replacement faces for Bryans Clocks. Presumably they had an agreement on copyright. I think Whales also printed the version with fruit symbols.

Sixwin paperwork is in Resources.

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:42 pm

I am very fortunate to have a friend who is a professional printer who works at a university. I have copied pieces of art work into my photo folder before and can do a great deal of touch up using the erase option then I print it out onto a new piece of card and retouch by hand. She then can print out the final product, but this one is too far gone for that.
I have attached a couple of photos to show you the success I have had with this method. This particular penny machine had a silk screen pic printed onto the reverse of a bevelled glass. It had deteriorated beyond help and every time I move the glass more of the pic flaked off. I copied a pic of what was left into my photo folder, used the method above and then sent the finished work to my friend by email. Then came the difficult bit. She has the use of a flat bed printer at the university and after I had cleaned the original pic from the bevelled glass, she printed the renovated pic onto the reverse. Stage 2, I purchased a can of glazers silver and put several coats over the back of the glass on top of the pic. First pic flaky second repaired. (Sorry it's a bit out of focus) Pretty much good as new!
P1010049a.jpg
P1010006a.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:00 pm

It looks very good, as far as I can see. :o Methinks you need to invest in a tripod. !!PHOTO!!
The can of glazer's silver sounds interesting. I must try that.
Did you keep the original?

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:13 pm

The spray you can get in a can on Ebay aprox 6.00 if I remember correctly. No original of the pic exists now as with gritted teeth I had to remove it from the glass so that the renovated pic could be put in place. Really struggled with that decision as did not want to loose the silk screening, but only way to get anything that could be used on the machine. If I had kept it a new glass would have been needed and the cost of one that could only be made by hand with the bevelling etc was quoted to me at 95.00. I did try to stabilise the original but it would not hold.

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:31 pm

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:52 pm

I wonder if it'd be any good for repairing the glass in Duomats? :!?!:
pg.jpg
pg.jpg (6.73 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Does the actual image have any degridation?

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:30 am

P1010002-(3)a.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:12 pm

badpenny wrote:I wonder if it'd be any good for repairing the glass in Duomats? :!?!:
I don't see why not.
BTW, BP - just got your pictorial pun. !DOH!