Watkins patent dispensing machines

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Watkins patent Airgun Pellet Dispensing Machine

Post by pennymachines »

I think that's right. Those bespoke Watkins' Palm Wood Vesta and Bryant & May matchbox labels I posted earlier look like they fold into little square boxes, so the pellet dispenser probably used something similar but rounded.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

stupid of me not to look correctly at the photos,when I saw the round indent my brain said "penny" not "tin" :lol:

Boy I remember those toy gun caps, if you left them in the pack and jumped on them the whole lot went off in one massive bang :shock:

caps.jpg

gameswat

Post by gameswat »

This is the type of tin right here: Antique tiger oak vending machine
Attachments
watkins tin.JPG
watkins slide.JPG
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

!WORSHIPFULL!
jimlad

Post by jimlad »

Thanks, I now know what to look for!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It looks like a perfect fit, but I doubt, this being an English machine, it was designed to dispense Dr Kilmer & Co. (of Binghamton, New York) ointment. Nowhere on the dispenser does it say "Kilmer's Ointment". More likely perhaps, someone found a tin that fits. Although, as I said, they may have vended off-the-shelf tins, I think this case remains unsolved... !SHERLOCK!
Attachments
ebay-aussie-wat.JPG
tom arcade

Post by tom arcade »

The Watkins machine with the Dr Kilmer ointment tin pictured in the thread "Watkins patent Airgun Pellet Dispensing Machine" has made its way to a new home in the states via the Chicago coin op show. This particular machine vended a round tin. It is missing the internal chute that would hold the product (tins). Anyone have an extra part or be willing to have a duplicate made?
Thanks in advance for any help or detailed pictures of the chute.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The only collector I know with one of these is Sweetmeats. Maybe he can help, but finding a spare part is unlikely.
andy d

Billiard Chalk Machine

Post by andy d »

Thread merged - Site Admin.

Just bought this Watkins Billiard Chalk dispenser. It's a little tatty, but I have been after one for a while as collecting Billiard memorabilia is one of my pastimes.

Hopefully attached some photos otherwise the following questions may be a lost cause.

There is no key. Is there any chance of finding one, or would it be possible to replace with something similar?

If there was a key, does anyone know how it opens? Unfortunately it was secured with a late 20th century philips screw (sacrilege!!) But after removing it, the front doesn't want to move (I hope it's not glued)

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. !THUMBS!
Attachments
lock.jpg
inside top.jpg
inside base.jpg
front 2.jpg
front 1.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Billiard Chalk Machine

Post by badpenny »

I have been known, on more than one occasion to first find any old key that fits the hole.
Then open up the back of the lock and start removing the locking bars/pins until the key works.

However, I'm not to be trusted and shouldn't be taken seriously.
:didact:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Saw this at an auction in the north west...and the screws !OMFG!

Have a look at below link* on the Watkins machines and front should just come away if unlocked, is the lock engaged?

*Merged above - Site Admin.
andy d

Post by andy d »

Treefrog wrote:
Have a look at below link on the Watkins machines and front should just come away if unlocked, is the lock engaged?
The lock is "Open". You can see it in picture 1. The top was broken into two pieces and I managed to lift the front part (Which had been nailed !PUNISH! )

On another note, the link in your reply actually has a picture of the machine I bought, and after some research, it was the one that sold at Grattons "on 15th Oct. 2009 was a snip at £26". I suspect that someone bought it with the intention of refurbishing it but never got around to it. But I also suspect they would be happy with the profit they made selling it on!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Watkins patent Dispensing Machines

Post by pennymachines »

For the record, here's Gerrards Auctioneers catalogue description of the dispenser, 20th Jan.
Billiards Snooker Interest - Watkins Patent Automatic Delivery Machines of Shrewsbury Billiard chalk Oak dispenser, (Watkins patent) 1d placed in the slot Watkins Automatic Delivery Machine. Height 18 Inches, Together With An Edwardian Snooker/Billiard Boxwood And Brass Cue Tip Repairing Clamp With File.
Attachments
Gerrards-1116.jpg
andy d

Re: Watkins patent dispensing machines

Post by andy d »

Here are some images of the internal "Chute" for Tom Arcade.
Attachments
Chute3a.jpg
Chute2a.jpg
Chute1a.jpg
tom arcade

Post by tom arcade »

Cheers to Andy for posting pics of the chute that is missing in my machine!!! !!CHEERS!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Although probably not made by the same company, thought I would add this oddity in this billiard related thread, The Club Time Check and Billiard Cashier for issuing billiards balls. Probably I assume for 30 minutes for 6D. I am guessing after inserting your money, you get a white ball and when time is up you either put more money in or return ball to upper slot. Maybe an alarm rings out...

Lots of guesses above, anyone seen one before....? sold at Omega auctions with loads of other vending and slot machines for I think £412. :shock: You could buy a billiard table for that.
Attachments
E9F03A05-0DAD-40B1-A831-4D210862C9AC.jpeg
D3FE4BA2-6B53-49F7-9242-F5804E68BBB4.jpeg
5D68F7A4-2609-4D03-9DA6-1E9B8F3F8610.jpeg
brigham

Post by brigham »

Interesting that it takes sixpence in pennies, which probably suggests that other settings are available, probably including ha'pennies as well.
I would think it releases all three balls, rather than just the white.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I dont think it would handle three balls,too cumbersome and pointless,my guess is it released the red ball,the one ball you cant play billiards without :!?!:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Although sold over a week ago on eBay thought I would give a mention to the below version which sold for £326, especially surprising given it was an empty box. The only thing I can observe from this is that it must have been a very early model with engraved name and viewing window very similar to the patent picture earlier in the thread.....lotta money for an empty box
Attachments
61A31138-F23C-4BA4-8FA1-ADC36D320FBB.jpeg
17BDFCEA-8AC8-4127-91B4-2311A501685C.jpeg
0CC725FA-EBED-4B1C-939A-4CEA2A2D88AB.jpeg
joanne

Post by joanne »

Hey, I have 2 Watkins patent pellet dispensers, one isn’t in great condition but the other is :-)