Somebody knows... Maybe you?
greg

BMCo allwins identified

Postby greg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi Everyone....I just bought an Allwin and I have no clue who made it, when it was made or what it was called. Also the play field looks wrong. Does anyone recognize it?

Ebay (USA) in the sold listings # 112348681174

Thanks GREG

treefrog

Re: My New Allwin

Postby treefrog » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Looks alright to me, looks like a British made BMCo machine, 1930s ish.

Edited as only thing is maybe the backflash is missing either plastic or cloth as it looks like just board.
IMG_0387.JPG

greg

Postby greg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:59 am

Thanks Treefrog for the information. Do you, or anyone, have a picture of what the machine should look like. It looks like there is a piece of metal missing on the play field and around the payout handle.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:03 am

treefrog wrote:
Edited as only thing is maybe the backflash is missing either plastic or cloth as ot looks like just board,
Tree, looks like it's the gold glitter plastic on this one.

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:51 am

Here's an example of what Gameswat refers to.
BMCo 1a.JPG

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Oh, how sad. :-(

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:36 pm

I've restored a couple of these late 30's deco style allwins by BMCO with the same glitter plastic posted by JP and liked it. Appeared to be original to both machines and definitely an earlier form of plastic pre WW2. Though in the case of the first machine shown above it could have been revamped to replace the usual felt?

greg

Postby greg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:19 pm

When the machine arrives next week I'll take a close up picture of the backflash and post it here. Did this machine have a model name like the later machines?

greg

Postby greg » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:41 pm

The machine arrived safely yesterday. I took out the glass so the pictures would be a little clearer. The backflash looks a lot like the other backflash except mine is badly faded. In the corner where it didn't get much light you can see the true color.

The machine is in good shape but it still needs a lot of love to get it back to where it should be. When the seller said it was a penny machine, stupid me thought he meant the large British penny. He meant the tiny US penny. That explains the unusual coin entry slot. Does anyone have a source for a correct replacement?

The payout was also changed to the US penny but all he did was stuff a bunch of plastic in it so that should be an easy fix.

As you can see in the picture someone used one of those old label makers to mark the win holes. Does anyone have a close up picture of what they should look like?

Finally just over the key is round mark with two tiny holes were something was attached. Any idea what it would have been?

Thanks again for all your help....GREG
DSC01188.JPG
DSC01189.JPG
DSC01190.JPG

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:00 pm

The coin slot probably looked like the one at top. BMCo often used that simple flat plate design, so your best bet might be to modify the one you have or cut a new one in brass and get it plated.

Have a look at the 'Win' and 'Coin Return' labels here.

There was probably a disk (maybe traffolyte :!?!: ) above the lock showing the key number.