Somebody knows... Maybe you?
mei-mei

Wonder Win and Place allwin machine

Postby mei-mei » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi, I have a bit of a technical prob with this machine. I am trying to remove the flick device, coin return cup and coin return knob so that I can send them off to be re-chromed. I have managed to dismantle most of it, but am stumped on how to remove the pins holding the shaft of the flick device and the return knob. I would really appreciate any suggestions you guys might have? Pics below, and before you say they are a bit rubbish, yes cos I haven't bought a new camera yet or a tripod!
P1010004-(1)a.jpg
P1010001-(3)a.jpg
P1010006-(1)a.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Wonder Win and Place allwin machine

Postby pennymachines » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:13 pm

You need to drive the taper pins out of the shafts by firmly tapping the narrow ends with a medium-sized hammer and drift punch. Straighten the narrow ends first with pliers, or hack-saw them flush with the shafts, so there's no obstruction. I usually use new taper pins when reassembling.

You can probably find a substitute for the drift punch, but it's worth acquiring a few of different sizes - nothing beats the right tool for the job.

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:17 pm

Thanks Penny machines, understand the principle of punching it through, but one end of both pins is broken off so it is impossible to work out which is the tapered end. I gave drilling it out a cursory thought, but I can't get my drill in a good enough position to make a good job of it. The other problem is even if I can get them out, I do not have any or know where to get replacement taper pins

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:26 pm

You should be able to see just by looking. Hack off both ends and then it should be obvious - and if it isn't, you'll soon discover which way they want to go by whacking them. Any engineers' supplier will have taper pins - they cost pennies.

You could squirt some penetrating oil at them and try again tomorrow. Drilling would be a last resort and shouldn't be necessary.

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Thank you again, a trip to Screwfix maybe?

13rebel

Postby 13rebel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 pm

I would think that Screwfix is unlikely to stock taper pins but there are loads on ebay. You could order a few different sizes just in case or a ready made mix. As Mr PM says, penetrating oil applied a few times over the course of a day and left for a day is a good way to go. If there is a stub on the broken end a cheap and cheerful digital caliper (one of those gizmos that you think you will never use again then wonder how you ever got by without one) will enable you to establish which end is thicker/thinner. My money would be on the thin end being the one that is bent over (50/50 chance, so I'm bound to be wrong). Drilling should be avoided as you will no doubt lose the taper aspect and have to use a roll pin or split pin or the like - not authentic and we wouldn't want that would we? :NBG:

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:03 am

Thank you 13rebel helpful info. It looks like several of the original pins have already been replaced with split pins, so I'm guessing that the previous owner had similar probs with removing taper pins and maybe the reason that the remaining ones are broken. The use of my drill to get the pins out was only a passing thought as there was no way to get a decent angle to attack the hole from. I have ordered on line, the tools and pins suggested. The only other thing that would be useful is a clear photo of a complete mechanism as I am not sure if anything is missing and I can't check it out with a penny as it is seized.

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:34 am

Heat always works for me and a good drift punch and a good whack.

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:59 am

Oh yeah, my kinda DIY! !!THUMBSX2!!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:39 am

I have resorted to the drill a few times on very corroded machines where the pin seems welded in place. You do have to get the angle just right, in order to run a fine drill bit through the body of the pin, starting at the thin end. Then the pin kind of gives up, collapsing in on itself as you knock it through.