Somebody knows... Maybe you?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Space Flight Beromat

Postby badpenny » Sat May 13, 2017 8:58 am

treefrog wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 10:05 pm
So moral of the story, keep your bandits in the garden.
I wonder where you got that tip from TF ?
You know it makes sense
BP :lol:

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Sat May 13, 2017 9:50 am

Here they are side by side, obviously the bottom green one is the one that's been in the garden for 5 years. Even more surprisingly the bolts came straight off and is clean as a whistle. Shows the unpredictability of this metal.
IMG_0453a.jpg
IMG_0454a.jpg
IMG_0452a.jpg

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sat May 13, 2017 11:52 am

Have to ask TF, what about the original broken part that started this thread? Is that still there and intact?

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Sat May 13, 2017 1:33 pm

You see this in the original photo. The assembly that was stored inside, was rotten everywhere, even the outer facing plate on the outside of the machine was warped and rotten. I wonder if when these were smelted, something contaminated the mixture, maybe too much oxygen or impurities, as obviously not every batch was the same.

Have taken apart the one that's been outside and no rot, just need to free up the locking arm... Well there you go.

Maybe I knew this before, but of course these machine use metric nuts, I guess being (German). I am so used to work on imperial kit.
IMG_0455a.jpg

bartleeto

Postby bartleeto » Sat May 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Regarding the pot metal debate, I've seen this on post war motorbike side casings etc., usually small Villiers. Some were perfect whilst same part from another machine was riddled with fatigue. I think sometimes they threw any old thing in the smelting pot and heat/stress etc. showed up in later years. Looking at the reels on Space Flight I can see that what I originally thought was damage caused by rough handling has been done by snails eating the paper. Underneath the "space" reels are original numeric reels and my wife thinks she can draw in the eaten bits to an acceptable standard, if that make sense. I treated the old case for woodworm today as using it for template for new cabinet made from ash but will keep old one. Have taken an obscene amount of pics of everything regarding mechanism etc etc., always a good move especially as I am a novice and didn't realise that these machines can be quite complicated if you are not used to them. T

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Thu May 18, 2017 9:30 pm

Just seen this topic, I too left a last seconds bid on this as I have a spare square cased Novamat with blue Formica front. I would have fitted the Space Flight castings to it, though you would have to hack a bit out of the front of the case. If you are interested in it, pm me. The cost will be less than you paid for the wormy knackered Space Flight.

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue May 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Tony,

Dave has offered a whole cabinet which should include handle mech......sounds like a good option. If you only want the rusty pile I shared let me know so I can confirm postage,

Thanks

bartleeto

Postby bartleeto » Fri May 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Hello Tom, thanks for reply. Have spoken to Dave and would rather restore what I have got as I like resto projects. After initial thoughts I am ditching new cabinet idea and treated old wood and will get it covered in Formica. So with that in mind I would like to go with your "rusty pile" arm mech please. Any tips about working with Formica is welcomed. Regards Tony

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Tue May 30, 2017 8:10 pm

just spotted your reply, its a whole working machine i was offering not just the case, sorry for confusion, but you are probably better to restore what you already have

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:05 pm

can someone please tell me the colours of the various space themed symbols on the space flight, I need to make a new card for a forum member.
!!THUMBSX2!!