Bryans Bullion conversion

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
cptdunsal

Bryans Bullion conversion

Post by cptdunsal »

Hello everyone. I'm a new member but have read this forum many times. I live in the US but have several games like "Win a Polo", "Players Please", cigarette game and about 10 others from UK and Germany. I enjoy the repairing of the mechanics. BUT
I recently acquired a Bryans Bullion that was converted to 2p coins and it has been a pain to get working. I'm surprised it ever worked on the 2p. I'd like to convert it back to large 1p coins but aside from removing the payout tube insert I cannot discover what it needed to accomplish this. I would appreciate any help I could get.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bryans Bullion conversion

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME:
Unfortunately, it's not an easy one. I know somebody who tried it, but it didn't go well.
There are a host of things that have to be altered, not least the coin slots, which are different castings. Bryans Works did good business post-decimalisation converting them to the new coinage. I advise against it and suggest you trade it for one on old penny.

I used to own one on the decimal penny and, like yours, it was not reliable - the small coin just didn't have enough momentum, and got stuck every so often.
cptdunsal

Post by cptdunsal »

Thanks for the help. You're right about the coins getting stuck. Everything seems to accommodate a large penny 1p coin except the coin tube and the first window area where the coin drops in and is "squeezed" by the coin reading bar that engages the crank. In that area there is a pin on one side guiding the coin. The release pin on the bottom that allows the coin to drop in to the second window after it's read and the the roller on the reading arm that goes forward and back horizontally to "squeeze" the coin and blocks the arm to engage the crank. After inserting a 1p coin it drops smoothly into the first window. When you turn the crank the arm won't open the area large enough for the 1p coin to drop it in place. It just continues going back and forth as you turn the handle and the 1p coin won't fall to allow the arm to catch it and engage the crank. A 1p coin follows the path before this area and past it smoothly so there must be an adjustment or replacement of a part in this area to get the 1p coin to work. I'm hoping that someone here has done this conversion before and can give me a clue.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sorry Chap, I've just about done everything you can to a Bullion..... oooh errr! :o
However I drew the line at a reverse conversion.
To do it properly you need to start at the coin entry and ensure every single bit that comes into contact with the coin is correct.

I came to the opinion that the easiest way to do it was to buy a second one on the old coinage and copy the tin work and castings to match the first one. To be honest it wasn't worth (to me) the cost or effort.

I suggest you concentrate on thoroughly cleaning out the coin galleries and all the little tin weighted thingies that the coins deflect. Fluff and grease from pockets and sticky hands end up there. Flaky paint particles also get in there.
Lubricate with light oil NEVER USE GREASE.
You'll be amazed how just that will have an effect.

Good luck, tell us how you get on.
BP !!THUMBSX2!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

cptdunsal wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:16 amEverything seems to accommodate a large penny 1p coin except the coin tube and...
So you're saying the coin entries at the top accommodate the large pre-decimal penny? (1D = old penny, 1p = new penny). If so, it would suggest the conversion was not done by Bryans and therefore possibly reversible. It would involve rearranging lots of split pins and I think a working 1D Bullion would be essential as a guide to getting them right. Is the top payout 12 on your machine? It was 10 on the decimal games. Could you post a picture?
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Am I missing something? 1p was never mentioned. As I understand it the machine is on 2np
!PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The machine is on 2p but...
cptdunsal wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:16 amAfter inserting a 1p coin it drops smoothly into the first window.
I assume he means 1D, hence my "1D = old penny, 1p = new penny" comment.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

bryans fan wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:01 pmAm I missing something? 1p was never mentioned. As I understand it the machine is on 2np.
You are missing just a snippet - our colonial friend said the coin entry was for 1p but what he meant (I think) is 1d, that is why the 1p came into the mix.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

A !!PHOTO!! is what we need
cptdunsal

Post by cptdunsal »

Yes, I meant large penny. Sorry.
It seems that I can either pull the split pin and move it over enough to accommodate the large penny in each of the betting windows. Or grind out the opening where the rollers are for the arm that squeezes the large penny so that it pulls back far enough to accommodate the penny. Whatever will keep me from totally dismantling it is what I'm leaning towards.
I'll try to get some pics to post so everyone can see what I'm doing and maybe they will help someone convert in the future.