Glass thickness for Mills Hi Top jackpot window

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
alan57

Glass thickness for Mills Hi Top jackpot window

Post by alan57 »

I'm in the process of renovating another Mills Hi Top, a Black Beauty version, with jackpot.
On replacing the cracked glass in the Jackpot window, I noticed the thickness was around 6mm (2 plain pieces laminated together?)

Does the glass need to be as thick as this, or can I get away with one 3 mm plain piece?

The last Mills Hi Top I renovated, I only used 3mm glass, but it didn't have a jackpot as the Black Beauty has.
treefrog

Re: Glass thickness for Mills Hi Top jackpot window

Post by treefrog »

Unless using a suitable spacer, it will rattle and have a gap at the front. All Hi Tops I have owned have think glass, usually a single piece. I am sure some would have been later replaced with two sheets stuck together, as is commonly sold today.
junior

Post by junior »

It would have been prob 5 or 6 mm glass. The two pieces stuck together are known as 6.4mm laminated or safety glass. Go to a glazer and give him the sizes. Tell him what it's for and he will prob give you a couple of pieces. 5mm is less common, so get a couple of both thickness if he has them.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Thanks for your help, new laminated glass now fitted.

Whilst on the subject on Mills Jackpots, the ones I have that work on 6d and 1d have a tendency to overfill themselves on the reserve jackpot, so when the jackpot is won there seems to be too many coins in the reserve jackpot resulting in it jamming up and unable to reset itself. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Also on another matter on the jackpots, as there are lots of levers and springs on the side, is it recommended to lightly oil these from time to time to keep them working properly?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

There is a flap that opens with the weight of the coins. Maybe the spring is too strong not allowing it to open correctly? I always put a little light oil on the moving parts on the jackpot.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Hi Keith
It's a fine line what tension the spring should be for the coin flap to work correctly. I was thinking if all else fails to disconnect the spring and to load the reserve jackpot manually.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

That is an option Alan as it can be awkward trying to get the right tension. It's not very often the jackpots won anyway :)
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I'll bet its the 1d jackpots that jam most. The Mills jackpot doesn't really suit a 1d coin - the reserve (and the main for that matter) is a bit small for the coin. They tend to stick up and block the falling coins to the coin box. Removing the reserve jp fingers will make it run smoother.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

a 1d jackpot is deeper than a small coin one, so sticking coins should not be a problem. the lower casting is also deeper on a hightop to accommadate it