Sega payouts

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
geordy55

Sega payouts

Post by geordy55 »

I've recently acquired this Sega. The award card refers to mystery payouts.
The single cherry and the two cherries pay out correctly, but the plums and the bells pay out 13 instead of 10.
Is this part of the mystery payout, or are the payout slides incorrect ?
Any help appreciated,
Dave.
Attachments
IMG_1776a.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Sega payouts

Post by coppinpr »

no they are not the mystery payouts,they are an odd mix of symbols (cant remember which ones but someone will be along with the answer)

The payouts your getting are a little odd if bars,melons and oranges pay the correct 10 as they would use the same slides (do they pay 10 correctly?)

if they do its likley its the award card that is wrong as there must be a 3 coin slide in there to pay the 5 . All you need to do is change the award card.

I dont think its actually a Sega, looks like one of the popular Sega clones from that time that used Sega mechs
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

As Coppin says, what are the other payouts. One possibility is that you can see the machine has been converted as all top awards are ten coins, done after the decimalisation, so one possibility is that it is actually on 1p which are thicker than sixpence.........

I would also get a picture of the mechanism and slides in the payout position so so we can see
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Hi Coppin and Treefrog, thanks for your comments.
Below is a pic of the payout slides and below I have indicated the numbers on the slides
Bottom = 1
Top = 6
1= 3B2-10503
2= 3B3 6
3= 3B5 6
4= 3B5 6
5= 3B4 6
6= 3B6-10504

1 cherry pays out 2 correctly
2 cherries pays out 5 correctly
All the other prizes seem to now pay out 9, it previously paid out 13 until I realised one of the pushers was catching slide 4 as well as slide 3.

I've also enclosed a photo of the sliders with a sixpence and a penny, boh fit, but the pennies are so much thicker that none of the slides would pay out correctly.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm a newbie, but learning quickly.
Attachments
IMG_1822a.jpg
IMG_1821a.jpg
IMG_1819a.jpg
IMG_1820a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It looks like the slides may have been mixed as the second from top slide looks like a 5 coin slide and the two below it are two 4 coin slides. The 5 coin slide should be below the 4 coin slides. So bottom two, next a three coin slide, then the 5 coin, then the two 4 coin slides down lastly the two coin at the top. May explain 13 payout as when the vertical levers trip the slides it takes the two 4 coin slides with the bottom two slides, making 13. Switch the big 5 coin slide down two levels and see what happens....
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Hi treefrog, many thanks for hat help.

Do you recognise the numbers that are on the slides ? I guessed that they may represent he payout amount.

Also, going back to an earlier reply. The machine has a Sega manufacturing plate with a serial number that matches the mechanism. Do you know of anyone who has a record of serial numbers ?

Dave
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Thinking about your suggestion, in theory that would then get the payouts back to 2,5,10,14 and 18. I'll try it at the weekend and check with the wheel side plates to see if those payouts can be achieved.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Do you know of anyone who has a record of serial numbers ?
according to Sega Retro there is no know dating method,but someone might know something,you never know, If it is a Sega it would be very early for this style I think as the only model I know of without the "Sega" name cast in the front is the "multi bell 35" and that was the first of this style, Also Ive never seen one with just "Bonanza" and not "Bonanza Star" so if its Sega made I think an early one, Where is the serial number? on the case or the casting?

If you decide to switch to the 18,14,10,5,2 I might have a brand new payout glass I could be persuaded to part with
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

The manufacturers plate is on the outside of the case at the lower rear right side. This number is also stamped onto one of the arms on the left of the mechanism. It certainly looks professional ( not someone with a John Bull stamping set)
I'd like to make it back to 2,5,10, 14 & 18, I need to check what has been done to the payout fingers that makes them all pay out 10 only. Let me know what you'd want for the award card.
Can I ask if you go to the elephant house auctions ?
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Actually these could easily be made up to make it look original, they aren't as good as I first thought. There are a couple of holes where it has had a top light box.
Attachments
IMG_1827a.jpg
IMG_1826a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Can I ask if you go to the elephant house auctions ?
I dont, but I will be at Coventry and I can post to you.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Interesting, I have not seen one of the so called clone lite ups with the Sega serial number badge on, also good it matches mechanism. So maybe Sega did this variety possibly earlier or even later on. I note there are pound signs on the reels as well, also should have the Bonanza top box on indicating 18 coin win for three of them. Funnily I bought one on eBay two days ago, think it has original glass as well.

The top pay would be 20 coins for the bars and probably melons. When the reduced to 10 coins the left four fingers would be modified or changed to their cut-outs do not trigger the top three slides. To put back the will need to be replaced and yes they often sell at the elephant, ask for Roger he will provide everything you need. I think the case in my garden is the same machine with glass award.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

I've been to the elephant for the last two auctions, seeing some same faces each time, but don't know any names other than Steve. Will be going to Coventry this year. I had a feeling you would say that about the payout fingers, I'll have. A look at them over the weekend.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As per my pm to you, here is one that might work but you need to get all the payouts checked and working first.
Attachments
seaga2a.jpg
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

This is my current award card.
Attachments
IMG_1836a.jpg
IMG_1835a.jpg
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

The vertical payout fingers have been butchered, so I'm now looking for a new set plus I think there's something been done to the escalator as once one coin has been used the escalator fires it across and down the coin chute in one go ! Exciting to watch but not what I want, there seems to be nothing separating one coin from another. So, also looking for a new 6d escalator !
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Hi treefrog,
I switched the slide and it's now paying 2,5 and 10 correctly. It seems someone butchered the vertical payout to stop any higher payouts occurring, so now need to find a new set.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

are you against keeping it with the current payouts?

need to see a photo to be sure but sounds like the escalator has been changed to the Shafers roll down escalator, this would have been part of the standard conversion as they handled the coinage better and didnt jam :cool:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

As Paul says, given the change to 10 coin max payout was done probably by a refurb company or operator many many years ago, now it works correctly you maybe happy leaving as is.

Upper fingers do sell at the elephant and looking as the auction results often only for a fiver, but you need to check they are also not butchered ones. I do have loads, but no idea where they are.

Top boxes come up like the below one, which I bought las week with I think original glass not plastic glass. As seen the pound symbols are scattered payout 18 coins.

The front award original would be glass, I have one in the garden below on the same machine as yours, been there many many years but appears good. Probably would not have left the machine there is I had known was a proper Sega :woops:
Attachments
IMG_0640a.jpg
IMG_0639.JPG
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Also Mystery payouts do exist and will either be a 10 coin payout usually combination of orange with melons or a 2 coin payout on combinations I cannot remember.