Bryans Nudist Colony (Ant Viewer)

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
widget2k4

Re: Bryan's ant viewer artwork needed

Post by widget2k4 »

Thanks, I'm going to have a go at making my own gold fleck paint and see what happens. A bit of experimenting to get the black spots is going to be the hard part I think.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, I think that's the best approach.

The products Paul suggested would make a nice finish which some would be happy with, but not the purists. Original finish is always favourite of course but if, as on your machine, that's gone, second favourite is to reproduce the original as faithfully as possible.

BF's pictures suggest the fleck was laid over the gold quite crudely by hand. One way of doing this is to dip a stiff brush (toothbrush or something larger) in the paint and riffle the bristles so small blobs fly off in irregular patterns.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I will have a bit of a play with it. I managed the Allsport fleck with a small wire brush dipped in paint and a screwdriver to flick it. lol
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

widget2k4 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:59 pm Thanks, I'm going to have a go at making my own gold fleck paint and see what happens, a bit of experimenting to get the black spots is going to be the hard part I think
Is the RIGHT ANSWER. I have seen many a Bullion ruined with plastikote stonefleck paint.
I believe the fleck paint finish was hand done. Flicking a toothbrushes bristles loaded with paint is, I understand the method of choice.
Finishes like on the double top cabinet were I think a suspension of coloured flecks in a medium. Used I seem to remember on public toilet walls.
My advice, as always, remains , only re paint a machine if absolutely necessary. They are only original once. I prefer conservation to restoration.
lots of "thinking" and vague remembering there!!!
But I might be wrong I often am!!!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Well in my case if they don't look pretty and clean they can't get in the house lol, and I wasn't left much choice as there was no bottom left in it and there wasn't much left of the door.
What was the hole in the front for behind the artwork?
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I don't know. Nor does another learned gentleman from this forum. But there must be reason for it or Mr Bryan wouldn't have put it there.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Fire escape for the ants perhaps?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

try experimenting with a can of black turned upside down at different distances from the test piece, only an option,im not saying the best option just that it does work with practice
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Will give it a go !THUMBS!
JC

Post by JC »

This is one that was in Coventry ( I think)
Yes, it was. I photographed it in my back garden, on behalf of the vendor. It was all original, and probably the best original ant viewer I've ever seen.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

widget2k4 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:21 pm I will have a bit of a play with it. I managed the Allsport fleck with a small wire brush dipped in paint and a screwdriver to flick it. lol
For accuracy a pre-decimal screwdriver should be used.
:didact:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's right - you won't get the right splatter with a Pozidriv. :D
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Do you think this machine was an April fool by Mr Bryans, as one of the odder items from his stable? I am staggered operators paid for this machine as a few were made.....real quirky item.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

ive got an old screwdriver that belonged to my great grandfather so i think i should be fine
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Do you think this machine was an April fool by Mr Bryans, as one of the odder items from his stable.......I am staggered operators paid for this machines as a few were made.....real quirky item
It was certainly one of the great cons and jokes of the coin op world, I cant imagine any operator going to all the trouble of keeping the ants alive or even knowing when they were dead,( I can just imagine putting your penny in and getting a view of a few long dead ants with cob webs and dust all round) once the original ploy of pretending it was something else disappeared with the revised description card I cant imagine anyone putting a penny in
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think you underestimate people's curiosity (or is it gullibility?) A simple box with a slot would take money. Add some sort of scope which remains dark until a coin is inserted and watch the cash roll in! If you feel cheated by what you see, persuade someone else to have a go and laugh at their expense.

Mr Bryan was very imaginative and maybe overreached himself with this one. I've seen very few Ant Viewers which retain the original metal and glass ant enclosure. I think operators usually resorted to pasting a slightly risqué photo inside.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

would be nice to see an original nest from one , do you have any pictures pm ?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Afraid not. From memory it consisted of some sort of flat perforated metal box with glass which slotted into the runners at the focal point of the magnifying lens. I'd be interested to see it too if anyone has one.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

would be nice to see, and do you not know what the hole in the front was for pm ?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Of course I do! But I'm not telling... \|\/|/