Sega Windsor Playboy machine

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
radiochrissie

Re: Sega Windsor Playboy machine

Post by radiochrissie »

Ok, Mr coppinpr is correct. :cool:
The first thing you must check is the main solenoid closes when you trip the coin switch. Someone at sometime has rewired your machine and for some reason has modified the dropper resistor to the aforementioned coil. I think I know why, but won’t muddy the water by going into detail until you have checked its operation.
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Thank you for the ongoing help - you guys are great.
Yes, I manually cycled the mechanism outside the case and everything worked fine. Now I’ll try to follow your electrical advise but I’m “lacking” in that area.
I believe the only way to test it is by placing it back in the case? as the two electrical connectors are fixed to the mechanism and the other to the back of the case.
I’ll give it another try and get back.
trops79

Post by trops79 »

OK, maybe the found problem? The power cord was spliced and falling apart so I cut it and I’m ready to re-splice it and ran into a problem; the cord has a red, black and green colored cord and my extension cord is black, white and green. Photo attached. What gets connected to what? Btw - I’m in the US.
Attachments
3EC21EEA-D9B8-457B-97C8-40C6CAA127B5a.jpg
2BBA3656-7CBE-4F86-B869-DBAB1CE1112Ba.jpg
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Green is always earth, so connect them together.
The red on the Sega is the live. Connect this to the black on the USA lead.
The black on the Sega lead is neutral. Connect this to white on the USA lead (white is neutral).

The best way to do this is to remove the old mains lead completely, and resolder the new mains lead onto the transformer. If you have to splice the lead, then pull the lead inside the case first and splice it inside the cabinet.
trops79

Post by trops79 »

OK, so here’s where I’m at; temporarily re-spliced the cord and plugged it in. Still hear humming noise with no lights. The coin mechanism is receiving power because the pin is retracting like I think it’s supposed to. When I manually trip the coin switch it makes a noise but does not do anything else. Where to go next??
Btw here’s a photo of the door.

55CDDA99-1A13-43E8-956C-0E3E8DB1539Aa.jpg

Also, forgot to mention, when I trip the reset switch on the bottom left of the mechanism the humming noise stops completely and the pin in the coin mech pops out not allowing a coin to pass through.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

So let me get this right, you trip the coin switch but the handle is still not engaged? Just confirm this and we can move forward. If this is so, then you may need to adjust the end stop on the solenoid. One other thing, do you have a test meter?
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Yes, when I trip the coin switch it makes a noise but does not activate the solenoid and the handle does not engage. Yes, I have a meter but not good at using it.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

The next step is to check the solenoid resistance and the voltage across it. With the mech pulled out, check the resistance across the solenoid. It should measure about 12 ohms. If this is OK, let me know, and we can move on to the next step.
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Ohms approx 6. See photo. Bolts when plugged in was 0.264.
Attachments
60A79971-9AFB-4A8C-B632-575A7B70E7A5a.jpg
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

The resistance is low but OK. You now need to check the voltage across it when you trip the coin lever. You need to attach your meter, set to AC volts across the coil terminals. This has to be done when the mech is back in, which can be difficult. It helps if you have small clip-on test leads. You should see about 12 volts across the coil when the coin lever is tripped.

Make sure the meter is set to AC volts not DC volts.
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Did what you said and when tripping the coin switch it had no effect on volt meter. The volt meter did read 0.264 before tripping it if that means anything.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

So you know the coil is OK but you are not getting the correct voltage across it.
The next thing you need to check is the supply voltage which should be 28 to 30 volt. This voltage should be across the grey and blue wires which come from the transformer secondary.

Sega Windsor 1d Series Parts Catalogue with wiring diagram

If you have 30 volts across the circuit you may well find that the safety relay has failed.
Someone has rewired this machine at some time so it is clear there has been a problem that someone has tried and failed to fix before.
trops79

Post by trops79 »

In order to check the supply voltage I believe it needs to be plugged in correct? How can I get to the wires while it’s in the case?
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

You can check the supply voltage with the mech out: Trace the blue and grey wires coming from the transformer to the connector at the rear of the case. Check the voltage here first.
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Here’s a photo of the wires. The grey and blue go different directions. Maybe it’s different on my machine?
Attachments
AB98038B-601A-47F4-8FA5-FAF5E4DA54F2a.jpg
F9017194-2556-4407-ABDB-C4912F269173a.jpg
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

The grey and orange is the 30 v supply, the pink is probably the 6v tap.
If you have the correct voltage here the fault lies with either one or more of the mech switches. These can corrode over time causing a high resistance. The fault could also be with the safety relay. Worst scenario is that it is caused by the rewiring someone has done. The only way to sort this out now is to check every switch contact and compare it to the circuit diagram. It is fixable but it takes time and patience. :cool:
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Thank you for your patience with me!
Anyway, I checked the grey and orange with the volt meter and it reads approx 14.9. Plugged in of course.
Could it be the lame connection - see photo.
Attachments
077B106B-DE4E-4BBE-8691-C914716A6720a.jpg
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Someone has clearly messed with this. !OMFG!
The voltage you measured is clearly incorrect. This may be a daft question :!: but you said that you are in the USA which is 110 volts, if the machine is still set to 240v it will cause this problem.
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Yes in the US. If the 240/110 is the problem is there something I can do? Buy an adapter, etc??
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

OK, so it looks like this is your problem. I would suggest you rewire the transformer input to take 110 volts. This is very easy to do as long as you follow the wiring diagram posted earlier.