Sega Bell Reels

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
kev62

Re: Sega Bell Reels

Post by kev62 »

There is a product on the market for filling holes prior to powder coating keith its TIGER DRYLAC - EPO STRONG.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Thanks for that info, I will look into it. !THUMBS!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I was going to welcome you to the forum then realised you been a member since 2014 and this was your first post.

Must browse a lot though as you knew my name. lol
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I still don't think powder coating will come close to good old fashioned hard work and preparation to get the surface perfect and for that high gloss finish, if that's what you're after that is.
Attachments
IMG-20180225-WA0009a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I can't fault you on that observation Keith.
vince55

Post by vince55 »

That looks fantastic. I really only went the powder coat route for the durability, so it would stand up to the grandchildren.
To fill the holes I was going to try Teahnicqll cold weld repair which takes temperature up to 1200c. But I'm not sure if it can be coated.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I'm not 100% sure if you can get metallic finishes in powder coating ?
Something similar to the one here would be so nice if you could get this sort of finish for about £70. :)
Attachments
2018-02-27-15.58.52a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

My brother in law use to own a powder coating business, but he was in Spain so never had the chance to use him as would probably had done so for free and wanted to see someone try as I reckon it is a good option for a lot of our collectables , hard wearing (paint will chip easily and if not properly cured mark).

You can coat other items like glass and certain plastics that can hold the 200c temp, of which a few can. They have a different process for applying to hold the paint by partially heating to allowing the paint to stick.

Also there are many finishes, including hamerite, gloss, Matt, textured etc etc....

Lots of fillers exist that are suitable, including Alvin Lab Metal and many others....

I reckon it is cost effective too.....Agree though preparation is important irrespective of finish applied.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I've had a lot of stuff powder coated for bikes etc and have never seen a good finish yet, also find it chips quite easily and is an absolute nightmare to remove if it ever needs removed again, I'd say it's good for rusty stuff that doesn't really get seen but doubt it would ever do me for a final finish, my paint is scratch and chip resistant up to the same as a car for example once cured :)
kev62

Post by kev62 »

I've seen loads of good examples of powder coating I suppose a lots down to the preparation of the item which should be doable by most people before giving your treasured machine to a good coaters, whereas not everyone has the skill or equipment for a good spray paint finish plus the poisons most of these paint put out are not nice at all.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've had good results with powder coating but have never tried a high gloss finish. I used some sort of plastic-metal filler (because the heat issue didn't occur to me) and if held up fine. I've also had good results on bandit back doors etc. with a black crinkle powder coat (as used on some old car dashboards).
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

kev62 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:17 pm ............... plus the poisons most of these paint put out are not nice at all.
I refuse to come into contact with not nice poisons, only agreeable toxics for me !PUZZLED!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Never knew they did a crinkle finish, that's good to know. Would be better than messing about with that crinkle paint that stinks forever.