Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Re: Electric Amuser info needed

Postby gameswat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:59 am

I think you're over thinking this, the only reason the shocker was present was as a way to get around a legal ruling, just like mint vendors or any number of other examples. The shocker just had to work with every coin played, most players would never have ever used it, like they didn't often take a pack of mints each play. I'm guessing the light is there to show the shocker is running so the battery won't get run down if someone walks away, since any other players would spot the light straight away and play the game thus cutting off the battery.

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:19 am

I just want to get it back working how it used to when it was made. I know it was just a way to get past the gambling laws but it would be nice to get it back to the way it used to work, whether it was bulb lights on a win or when you insert a coin, I am not sure.
I have never seen one before so don't know how it's meant to work.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:05 am

If you re-read all the posts in this thread you'll see multiple times it was proven that the shocker works on deposit of the coin and has nothing to do with winning or losing the game. The shocker either stopped when the handle was fully turned, or a ball was released to play the game.
paulbohlmann wrote:The electrical shock function is activated when a coin is dropped in the machine.
It will be deactivated when you release a ball or turn the knob for the electrical shock the full way...
(so this info is for the Jentzsch & Meerz version...)
pennymachines wrote: SKILL OR A GAME OF CHANCE ?

By placing a coin in it caused an electric contact, which gave the player an electric shock. When he released the handle the penny dropped and released a small ball.

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:22 am

I understand all of that, I just don't know when the bulb was meant to light, either on a win or on coin insertion. !PUZZLED!

wembleylion

Postby wembleylion » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:56 am

Hi Widget,
I think that Gameswat is right when he says that we are overthinking this. If you think that the wiring is original then his guess is very probably correct; it makes good sense to me because the arcade owner, as well as the players, could also keep an eye on the machine.

I'm guessing the light is there to show the shocker is running so the battery won't get run down if someone walks away, since any other players would spot the light straight away and play the game thus cutting off the battery.
John

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:20 am

Ah right, now it makes sense :)
I need to look into wiring the bulb so it comes on with the penny then, and not the way it was. Strange for them to have a switch on the handle though.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:04 pm

The light was also probably supposed to be a visual way to show the machine was actually shocking. If the light wasn't working the operator would know instantly to replace the battery, otherwise the law was being broken. Real arcade shock machines always have adjustable voltage from low to high by being able to move the coil plunger in and out, but your machine is just set in one place proving it was purely a legal ruse.

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:25 pm

I still can't get my head around why there would be a switch on the payout though.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:14 pm

Widget, you're going to have to post up some decent size close up photos and draw a diagram of the circuit as it's hard to figure out exactly what's going on. !PUZZLED! The only mech pic you posted was far too small to see any wiring detail at all. Though I'm starting to think this could be something to do with the reserve ball feature??

But from what I can surmise you're saying the ball when released makes a circuit to start the shocker, then cuts out when the ball is fired. But you think the switch on the win hole is original to light the bulb, but can't without a ball in the start position making the circuit? If this is so then it can't possibly work the way it's currently wired - unless just maybe the extra balls for the reserve are supposed to make the circuit? You think it's all original, but the battery wires to the terminals on that shocker look like modern plastic covered to me, not cloth covered or thick old cracked plastic like under the coil. I'd guess it's been either altered by an operator and/or messed with by a previous owner who didn't understand the circuit.

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:14 pm

I rewired it exactly as I took off the original cloth covered wires, as there was no cloth left on them hardly. I drew a diagram as I went but I am unable to upload it as I'm not at home at the moment. What happens is a coin pushes a lever which makes the circuit; the lever is below the ball release lever; once the lever is operated it makes the electric shock come to life, but that lever is then disconnected once the hammer is pressed. There are no more contacts anywhere except for the contact switch on the payout lever. I have another one the same and it had the same wires going to the contacts on the payout switch. I will try and upload some more photos when I get home.