'Criterion' Automatic Machines (Haydon and Urry Patents)

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
jelly-man

'Criterion' Automatic Machines (Haydon and Urry Patents)

Post by jelly-man »

Hello,
I have owned this machine for several years. I have never found any information about it.
Has anybody seen this machine before? I would be very pleased if anyone has any info.
Thanks in anticipation,
Steve Jellyman
Attachments
_20180319_115529.JPG
_20180319_115350.JPG
treefrog

Re: 'Criterion' Automatic Machines (Haydon and Urry Patents)

Post by treefrog »

Nice looking early machine of which I know nothing, but there are those in the know on older machines from the 1900s, which is what Braithwaite's book dates this to. There is a article in the Arena on Haydon Urry machines, but it appears to be broken so will let mods fix that.

What is the top flash made of, it looks glazed or is it enamel?

Welcome !!THUMBSX2!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I believe Haydon & Urry started life making slot machines one of which was "Autocosmoscope Penny-in-the-slot Machine" a stereo viewer, the success of this machine persuaded them to move into cinematographic equipment and they became the leading supplier of this sort of machine to traveling showmen, so much so they are quite revered in the history of Victorian Cinema. They started life in 1895 as Haydon & Urry, in 1900 they became "Automatic machines(Haydon & Urry patents)" and were wound up under that name in 1916 but continued to make slot machines up to the start of WW2 under various names and run by the founders son.. There is an American patent for their "coin shooting game" dated 1897. The patent below is for their fortune telling machine also 1897.

The address on your machine is interesting as it is not their normal address, they moved to 353 Upper Street Islington, in 1897 and expanded that site to include 355 and it was there they made there cinema equipment, Neither is it there office address which was originally 53 Grays inn road before the Islington move. Perhaps they had their slot machine business at a different site :!?!:

Welcome to the forum
haydo & urry patent.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Welcome Steve and thanks for showing us such a handsome game, in excellent condition by the look of it.
I've never seen the Criterion although it's clearly a variant of Haydon & Urry's Colonial Shooting Range of 1899, the main difference being the casing and title. There are about 20 H&U patents in the Archive, including several of this type of game, but not the Colonial Shooting Range. Although the badge says 'Patented', I suspect it's alluding to their pre-existing tivoli patents.

colonial-shooting-range.jpg

treefrog wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 pm There is a article in the Arena on Haydon Urry machines, but it appears to be broken so will let mods fix that.
That was the only article in the Arena that wasn't hosted here and, sadly it says "Members Webspace has been retired", so I've removed the link. It was a page about H&U's contribution to cinematography. The page is still viewable here at The Internet Archive.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I don't know if this patent is in the archives (I can't see it). It's the 1896 American patent for the equivalent 1894 English patent for their "coin shooting game".
Attachments
urry11.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

There is the original English patent (GB189421756) of 1895 and the Swiss patent (CH10107) also of 1895 and a later English one (GB190019196) of 1901. These are for the 'Licensed Victuallers Shooting Range' or 'Over the Barrels', as it is more often known. They may have been 'carrying over' patents for this game to the Criterion. Although I see it has a Registered Design Number, I'm assuming it doesn't have a unique pat. number (hard to see in the picture).
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

What numbers there are on this are not very helpful, this is what is says in reference to the american one. I assume the numbers given are only part of the patent number as the English one is the last 5 numbers of the English patent

COIN-SHOOTING MACHlNE.

SPECIFICATION forming* part of Letters Patent N0. 553,078, dated January 14:, 1896. pplioatiiiled May 23, 1895. Serial No. 550,327. (No model.) Patented in England November l2, 1894, No. 21,756
jelly-man

Post by jelly-man »

DSC_0025-(1)a.jpg

Hello again,
Many thanks for the interesting replies. This machine is obviously rather a mystery!
I've added a photo of the 'Design No.380,116'. Does this mean anything?
The top name flash is just paper under glass. The font is obviously replicating a newspaper logo banner.
Steve
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

your machine has quite a clever name for a game of "Skill?" here is the definition of the word

"A test by which individual things or people may be compared and judged"

interestingly "33 Old Broad St" sold in 2017 for 258 million pounds :lol:
Last edited by coppinpr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

The aforementioned "Licensed Victuallers' Shooting Range."

IMG_1998.JPG

J Peterson
Ranger Officer, USA
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Criterion is a smashing looking machine. I particularly like the two maidens at the top of the front. How does it pay out for a winner? Token or a card? Is it possible to get another picture (or two) of the game from several different perspectives?

Thanks.

J Peterson
Criteria free in America
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've nabbed the Criterion and John's Licensed Victuallers' Shooter for the Museum.

Also put three pages from a Haydon & Urry catalogue in Resources showing three variants of the game: The Criterion, The Colonial Shooting Range and the Rotary Shooting Range. I'm not sure whether the Colonial and Rotary use a coin or marble as projectile, like the Criterion.
Attachments
Criterion-a.jpg
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

!!GOODJOB!! CoNgRaTs
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

To say I was surprised to see The Criterion on this site is an UNDERSTATEMENT! Let me explain. About 15 years ago I was shown a picture of this machine by a well known collector who had already sold his collection. While tidying some drawers I came across this photo he said was taken some years before. I asked if he knew where it was as I would be interested in buying it and said I would be happy give him a finder's fee for his trouble. His answer was, "I am not sure I can remember his name. He may have sold and may have moved. Give me £200 and I may be able to give an old contact. This would be non-refundable in any event, even if contact details are wrong!" I declined the offer but was allowed to keep a copy of the photo. So next question is, do you recognise the wallpaper! Would love to see the machine 'live' if possible after all these years. I live in Kent but would be prepared to travel to see it.
Attachments
img20180321_14414913.jpg
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

Following on from my last entry, I would like to add further to the Haydon and Urry machine theme. The three cat. pictures posted by pennymachines came from me and there is also a fourth. I am adding copies of these with this post so it is easier to follow.

B & W 1.jpg

B & W 2.jpg

B & W 3.jpg

B & W 4.jpg

The Over the Barrels (Licensed Victuallers Shooting Range) is now agreed to be covered by GB189421756 (1894) as discussed at length previously here.

Licensed Victuallers' Shooting Range
Licensed Victuallers' Shooting Range

I think that patent GB190018429 (1900) may be the one that would cover the 'Criterion'. Steve's machine appears to be a card machine, if I am correct. He shows a Tivoli style card in the corner of his photo. The John Peterson Barrels is also a card machine, whether always so I cannot say. I have put up a picture of mine which is a token pay out. I have only seen one other of these machines also on token pay out. The Rotary Shooting Game I am unaware of any known example.

The Colonial Shooting Range I know of two: one sold in the Nic Costa sale in London which I bought. As shown above in pennymachine's earlier post it was incomplete with wrong made up paper. However about 10 years ago on COCA trip in the USA I visited Paul Hindon who showed me his collection. I found he had a Colonial Shooting Range. It was in very poor condition but I was able to take pictures of his partial machine to work out what I was missing and made the parts. He also had part of the original artwork from which, together with the advert, I was able to have a respectable copy made. This machine plays with a half penny coin and pays out a token (picture below). I think that the Rotary Shooting Game and Colonial Shooting Range could be covered by patent GB190019196 (1900).

Colonial Shooting Range
Colonial Shooting Range

The fourth machine, the Fairplay Switchback, is also on halfpenny play and is a coin launch machine. This also pays a token. A picture of both the machine and token are below. The patent for this machine is GB190023312 (1900).

Fairplay Switchback
Fairplay Switchback

token.jpg

Here I ask for some help - I have two machines and just one token between them. Can anyone help please?

Links to full patents added - Site Admin.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Here is what the cards looked like, also a token in good condition and the notice in the London Gazette winding up the company (which shows the 33 Old Broad St address was indeed their reg. office), plus the signatures of the directors on the 1896 patent.

card1.jpg
card1.jpg (23.85 KiB) Viewed 3890 times

card2.jpg
card2.jpg (26.38 KiB) Viewed 3890 times

THE LONDON GAZETTE, AUGUST 22, 1902. page 5478
In the Matter of the Companies Acts, 1862 to I900, and of the AUTOMATIC MACHINES (HAYDON AND URRY'S PATENTS) Limited.
AT an Extraordinary General Meeting of the above named Company, convened and held at the registered office of the Company, 33, Old Broad-street, London, E.C., on Saturday, the 5th day of July, 1902, the following Extraordinary Resolutions were duly passed:—
1. That it has been proved to the satisfaction of the Meeting that the Company cannot, by reason of its liabilities, continue its business, and that it is advisable to wind up the same, and accordingly the Company be wound up voluntarily.
2. That Mr. Hercules Nicol, of 21, Finsbury pavement, London, E.G., Chartered Accountant, be and he is hereby appointed Liquidator of the said Company for the purposes of winding up.
G. G. WOOD, Chairman
Attachments
Sigs.jpg
Sigs.jpg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
token.jpg
token 2.jpg
token 2.jpg (9.15 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I haven't a clue whose wallpaper that is, but I'll give you non guaranteed contact details for only £150 thus saving you £50.
BP :NBG:
jelly-man

Post by jelly-man »

Hello again,

A few more comments concerning the Criterion.
I bought the machine in Kidderminster in 1992 with two other common Allwins from a dealer in Music Boxes, phonographs, gramophones etc.
Some time later a collector came to my house in Bourne End, near Marlow, to buy the two other machines. He saw the Criterion displayed on the hall wall and was that excited the he offered me a large sum of money to buy it, as he thought that it was the only one in existence!

When I declined the offer he photographed the machine for his own records. Amazingly this is the photo that 'Sweatmeats' shows (with the Wallpaper!!)
We moved to Sidmouth in Devon in 2001 and the machine has been displayed ever since.
I'm afraid that, by showing the machine with a card that I gave the wrong impression that it dispenses cards. You'll see from the photo that it dispenses Tokens!
If Sweatmeats would like to arrange a meeting to view the 'Criterion', then please email me from my profile page.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Steve
Attachments
Criterion 8.JPG
Criterion 6.JPG
Criterion 5.JPG
Criterion 4.JPG
Criterion 3.JPG
Criterion 2.JPG
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Well gentlemen what a story! !THUMBS!
jelly-man

Post by jelly-man »

Many thanks for all the information on the Criterion.
I am now open to sensable offers for the machine!
It will be sad to part with it ; I've had it a long time.
Email me if interested.
Steve
Attachments
_20180321_200521.JPG