ROTOFRUIT electromechanical machine what bulbs can you use

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
tammy

ROTOFRUIT electromechanical machine what bulbs can you use

Post by tammy »

Hi, I'm making up a Rotofruit penny machine from Rotofruit parts etc. I have sent for 20 small screw in bulbs off ebay but realise the only 2 it had on the old inner board were 12 volt 2.2 watt. The ones I ordered are 12 volt 5 watt, would they be ok? Would they be dimmer or brighter or what? Thanking you for any advise. Tammy
13rebel

Re: ROTOFRUIT electromechanical machine what bulbs can you use

Post by 13rebel »

I am no electrician by any stretch of the imagination but my feeling is that with 5watt bulbs they will be brighter, in the same way that a 60watt household lamp will be brighter than a 40watt lamp in a ceiling pendant light for example. Using the formula of watts=volts x amps, 5 watt bulbs will draw 0.42 amps and 2.2watt bulbs will draw 0.18 amps. Whilst this difference is very small and your wiring may support this increase I really don't think it's worth the risk of damage or fire with the additional heat produced. I have a 'Double Up' electro mechanical machine and that uses 12volt 2.2 watt mes lamps which I think is pretty standard in these situations. Personally I would order these and swallow the loss just to be on the safe side.
vintagewireless john

Post by vintagewireless john »

As a valve radio engineer, sorry, yes they will dissipate more than twice the heat and can damage the holder too.
Not worth the future issues.

John
tammy

Post by tammy »

Thank you for both replies, I will do as you both say and order the right wattage bulbs. What a great site for help. Thank you both again.
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Totally agree... go with the correct wattage - drawing too much current will drop the voltage and could possibly cause relay issues, especially on the pull in on the GPO uniselector.

all the best ... dicky