Somebody knows... Maybe you?
treefrog

Jentzsch & Meerz Simplex catcher

Postby treefrog » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Came across the below German machine, which looks similar to a Bijou type machine, with a cigarette payout. It has been restored, or should I say tweaked, over time and seems to have lost its badges on the playfield. I wonder if this started out as a cigarette payout machine and was modified later. Looks like it would pay out maybe a packet of 5 Woodbine, based on the gap on the slide.

I was considering buying it, but not sure how original this machine is and would be interested in any opinions or advice. The rear mechanism wood looks like a piece of ply board which makes me wonder if this was changed at the time of modification, if done at all. The top flash, I assume, would have been added and the handles are not the normal smaller type you see on these machines.

Any opinions would be appreciated before I release hard earned cash :oops:
bijou1.JPG
bijou2.JPG

arrgee

Re: Bijou or Bajazzo Catcher

Postby arrgee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi Treefrog, not sure about this one. I have seen one before but in a bit of a state - see first two pics.
These may have been genuine conversions of the original catchers - see third and forth pics, although if that was the case, then the doors would have been replaced, as the 'cig' one show no infill of payout cup hole.
Shield 1.JPG
Shield 1.JPG (80.8 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Shield 6.JPG
Shield 6.JPG (81.68 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
shield catcher ebay 01.jpg
shield catcher ebay 02AB.jpg

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Still haven't made my mind up on this machine....as with any restoration you worry how much has been changed but looking at the machine posted by Arrgee suggests most of it looks genuine and I don't think it is the same machine as this one was a single cigarette vendor rather than a packet....the seller will take £510 for it. The only thing that is a shame, which is not easy to see in the picture is the right hand side of the door has some filler on it in various places, I assume either general wood damage or previous woodworm....It will probably be gone by now anyway, but if I don't go for it by Sunday happy to pass on the details for anyone who may be interested.

The clock in the background is overpriced, eg asking £580 for it...

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Treefrog,

It's a lovely looking machine. Costa-Haskell had a coin version that they attributed to Max Jentsch & Meerz, "The Simplex" c. 1925. I have that model as well. From what I can tell, this game was originally constructed as a cigarette dispenser as opposed to a later conversion. The game is missing two spandrels, one on each side of the pins. You can see the faint images on the faded play field.

I cannot comment intelligently on British value but I can opine that whomever decides to buy will not regret purchasing the game.

J Peterson
Simple American

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:52 pm

Apologies for going Off Topic ............ However: -

Hell's Teeth John if you are representative of a Simple American, then gawd 'elp us all if an American of superior ability ever gets elected President. :o

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:30 am

A kind comment, Mr. BP. Should I ever run for office, you shall be my top advisor and press secretary. Our campaign slogan will be: "A chicken in every pot and an allwin on every wall!"

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:51 am

John T. Peterson wrote:an allwin on every wall!
YEP!...You got my vote !!CHEERS!!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:05 pm

John T. Peterson wrote:A chicken in every pot
You just lost my vote. See, you can't please all the people.

As for the Simplex - looks to me like an honest machine for a fair price. I particularly like the pediment. It's a shame it has no original instruction cards, but that's par for the course. If it hasn't sold yet, maybe there's room for negotiation.

Isn't it exciting to find these in an antique shop? It so rarely happens, you can get carried away and pay a lot more than you would if it was just one amongst many on offer at the annual slotty auction.
100.jpg
Simplex - Costa sale

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:29 pm

When a machine is that old, alterations that were done to it whilst it was being operated in my book tend to be more acceptable than anything done afterwards.

If I stumbled across that one at that price I'd be hard pushed not to have a go.
I wonder Froggy if you're allowing yourself to be confuddled by the fact that The Clock is overpriced so you're feeling overly suspicious about everything else in the shop.

Drop £400 in folding in front of him whilst keeping another couple of ponies on your hip to add to it if needed.

bryans fan

Postby bryans fan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:20 pm

I may be a bit late in adding my 4 pence worth, but having recently moved I have been unable to get at some of my machines. Anyway here is a similar Shield catcher that I bought about 12 years ago for around £600 from an AA Co. Auction. I have never considered it to have been altered, nor changed from a clown catcher. Hope it is of some help. Price seems OK to me.
SAM_0001a.jpg
SAM_0002a.jpg