Help with Win a Crunch

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
jpatrickhenry

Help with Win a Crunch

Post by jpatrickhenry »

So I have had a pinball machine that my grandparents had for years and years. It sat in my dads garage for a long time and the back drop became cracked and needs restoration. Everything else works fine, besides the loc which also needs replaced. I was wondering if anyone knows what type of machine it is and what era. It looks like an Allwin to me from the 50s or 60s. Also wondering where I could find replacement for the background and a replacement lock for the machine.
Please let me know! Thanks!
Attachments
image4a.jpg
image3a.jpg
image2a.jpg
brigham

Re: Help

Post by brigham »

Welcome to the Forum.
That's by Oliver Whales, of Redcar, on the Yorkshire coast; one of my childhood seaside resorts.
They are good machines. Yours is one of the less-common types; I don't think anyone here has made a backflash for it yet, although I could be wrong.
Finding the chocolate bar might be the hardest part!
Nice machine to get started on. You'll have about half a dozen by this time next year!
jpatrickhenry

Re: Help

Post by jpatrickhenry »

Thank you Brigham! I am wondering how this got from England to Tulsa, Oklahoma decades ago. Since you don't think the backlash is available, would it be a good idea to take what I have to a graphics designer and see if they could duplicate what I have to replace it? Also, what would you suggest I do about replacing the lock? Thanks so much for your help.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Help with Win a Crunch

Post by badpenny »

Welcome to the ultimate forum for slot machines. After this forum there will be no others.

Most of us take the back flash to a professional graphics outfit to be scanned, and then download it to our laptops/PCs. Often we use something as simple as MS Paint to repair the damage and then go back to get it printed and encapsulated. The whole process tends to cost less than a hundred of our British pounds which is equal to $3.85 .... probably.

As to how it got to Americaland, truth is many did, but we don't understand how. Our much beloved member John T. Peterson lives in The United States of the USA and owns a collection of British machines that probably exceeds that of any UK person that lives in Britainland. Which means that although we respect and love him dearly we also hate his success so much we all collectively get up at 4.30am just so we can hate him longer. However of course we'd never admit that ..... we suspect he uses black magic so naturally we don't wish to annoy him.

Errr .... what was your question?

BP :cool:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

:HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa:

J Peterson
Prince of Darkness
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

badpenny wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:44 pm As to how it got to Americaland, truth is many did, but we don't understand how.
What? I thought it was very well known how so many UK machines ended up in the UK. US dealers and collectors were already scouring the rest of the world for machines by at least the mid 1970's if not earlier. Untold container loads were shipped to the US from that time onwards. The US buyers really only wanted US made machines, particularly bandits and jukes, which were the first things to jump in price. But since nobody knew too much back then, or cared, and prices in the UK were still so low they sent anything and everything over. I'm sure many operators did know but were padding the loads since prices were great! Countless amounts of UK and European made machines ended up over there this way. A UK collector told me years ago that one operator admitted to at least 40 container loads sent himself! When they arrived the US dealers had no idea what they had with the weird machines so were happy to unload them at cost. And up until about 15 years ago that's the prices they sold at - I know this for a fact since as many US collectors and dealers told me so, and I've purchased so many over there at ridiculously low prices. Later on in the 1970's department stores were wholesaling UK machines the same way they did with pachinko from Japan. That's where the bulk of John Peterson's machines came from. His story is somewhere on this site.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well, that's probably an accurate theory, I however yield to the more suspicious conspiracy that voodoo had a part to play.
Let John son of Peter have the last word, after all it's his soul the devil bought. :byee:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

There was also at least one British dealer shipping containers of slots to the States in the early days.

This OW Fry's Crunch front sold at the Elephant House, 2016:

151.jpg

and Daveslot posted this pic:
Attachments
crunch.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

badpenny wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:13 am Well, that's probably an accurate theory,
Not a theory when it's fact. In 2007 I purchased the last 10 allwins from a slot company in Pasadena, LA called Robert Durose. Robert had been an English operator who moved to the US in the 70's, but went back and forth. He shipped huge amounts of machines over to have rebuild or restored and sell in his LA store. He retired and sold the company to his employee John Lewis in the early to mid 80's. John purchased the remaining machines in stock at the time, including 100 Allwins leftover from hundreds more that Robert imported in the late 70's. I saw rows of other leftover machines like German Beromats, Bryan's Clocks by the bucketload, 5 unrestored Domino's, Hidden Treasure, etc. Plus photos of countless other rare UK and European machines they'd sold, floor model 2 player race games, an Electric Sailor, many unusual Bryans. And compared to prices now they were almost giving that stuff away back then because so few people wanted it. Mostly they were dealing in US made slots because that's where the big money was, everything else was just a cheap sideline to fill up containers. I've also met many older US collectors over there who told me about all this stuff coming over from the UK that hardly anybody wanted, and I know it's fact because they went on to sell me machines they purchased in the 1970's and 80's, usually for what they paid then, the going price for most games seems to have been $50!
Attachments
clocks_1.JPG
IMG_3325.JPG
A load of mostly UK machines I shipped home from the US in 2007.
A load of mostly UK machines I shipped home from the US in 2007.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

In science a theory is a fact !SMARTY!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I can verify Gamseswat's story, at least the part concerning the sale of British games by US stores at bargain prices. The bulk of my collection came from two California dealers in the 90's. They purchased the cache from a collector who made a habit of going to a local department story during the Christmas season and buying their stock of allwins and the like. He then stored the games in a railway car that he had on a siding next to his factory. After his age progressed and his health deteriorated, he elected to sell the whole collection to the two dealers. I became involved when they listed the first game, Multiball by Handan-Ni. They sold me the machine at discount in return for my appraisal service for the remainder of their collection. I flew out to California for the transaction and during dinner, agreed to purchase their complete lot of 60 British games.

I can attest to the fact that many of these machines were retailed through American stores. How they got there? The only reasonable answer is the container trade from England that was rampant during the American lust for British antiques in the 70's. Who filled those containers? That's for you lads to discover. I believe that is not coincidental that the exodus of your coin operated history was around the time that bandits were legalized. Given the opportunity to win vast sums of money from the one-armed bandits, you abandoned your beloved allwins like a jilted lover. You must now win them back at greatly inflated cost.

As the saying goes, we don't know what we have until we lose it.

J Peterson
Lost in British historical gold in America
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Still needs a lot of work :D
Attachments
CRUNCH-5a.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

Looks like there are colour variations, too.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That's good, what's the girl's name? :cool:
brigham

Post by brigham »

Pauline, I would guess.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

And lead singer with the Crunchettes :cool:
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

ive done one of these before but cannot find it on my hard drive :(
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Found it - one of my first ever attempts, so may not be much good, but maybe could add to it to tidy it up a bit.
dougev

Post by dougev »

Gentlemen,
I have a Win a Crunch that I bought about 10 years ago. It is in very nice shape. The door is open but no key. I have attached two pictures. I live in Pennsylvania, US. Can you give me an estimated retail value for this machine and an wholesale value?
Thank you,
Dougev

my email address is dougevans@embarqmail.com if you want to come directly to me.
Attachments
2019-01-05 20.56.33.jpg
2019-01-05 20.56.02.jpg