Oliver Whales CHAD WOT? allwin

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Oliver Whales CHAD WOT? allwin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny wrote:by the time I paid 22.5% vendor's I ended up paying them, darn it.
If you'd darned them, they might have fetched more.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

One interesting point from the "Chad" slogans, at the beginning of the war the most common was "Wot me worry" which was taken up by Mad Mag's Alfred E Newman character much later and was destined to appear on the Sega machines in the '70s.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'd like to see your evidence for that one Paul.

I think you're confuddling your icons there.

Although the image of A.E.N actually predates Mad Magazine by about 50 years, "What/Wot me worry?" was still his catch phrase and was adopted for Alfred E Neuman by Mad Magazine.
Alfred_E._Neumann.jpg

me-worry.jpg
me-worry.jpg (8.5 KiB) Viewed 5663 times

me-worry2.jpg
me-worry2.jpg (8.28 KiB) Viewed 5663 times

Whilst Chad was associated with shortages and rationing. His catch phrase "What no ......?"
Perhaps he was preparing himself for .......

Chad.jpg
Chad.jpg (13.6 KiB) Viewed 5887 times

scottie

Post by scottie »

Gee, you would think if someone was trying to cheat someone that they would keep track of the things they were saying.
I just got home and checked my emails.
I had gotten three pictures of different wall machines...WOT, ALLWIN SUPREME AND A ALLWIN DELUXE.
They told me that they had five machines in total.
OK, great - send me pictures of the other two.
Well, they send me pictures of four more machines: DOUBLE YOUR WIN, ROTOLITE, WIN-A- AERO AND A CIG MACHINES which is on UK ebay right now - same machine mounted on a wall by itself, same color of wall and the 3rd picture is even sideways ..... !PUNISH!
I had told these people that my brother lives close by and would pick them up... Well, they will drive to my brother's place to save him the drive BUT they have to be paid in full .....fools!!!!!!
Cheers,
scottie.
greg

Chad's Balls

Post by greg »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi..Everyone...I was wondering if anyone knows the correct size of Chad's balls and how many he should have? I recently bought a Chad Allwin on Ebay USA. It needed a good cleaning and tune up before it was playable. It has two balls instead of one and they were bigger then usual. There were two- 9/16" (aprox. 14.3mm) balls instead of the usual one 1/2" (aprox. 12.7mm) ball. Does anyone know what is correct?

Thanks GREG
Attachments
DSC01102a.jpg
13rebel

Re: Chad's Balls

Post by 13rebel »

Hi Greg, your Chad machine should have just one ball in it and, as it was made by Oliver Whales, it is customary to have a 9/16 inch ball. Bryans machines have half inch balls. If 9/16 fits into the win tubes I would be inclined to use that.
greg

Re: Chad's Balls

Post by greg »

Thanks for the help Rebel. Normally when I get a new Allwin I replace the old rusty pitted ball with a new 1/2" one. I checked the size in the first machine I bought, which was a Bryan's, and it was 1/2". So, I figured they all used the same size.

I just went back and checked the original balls on my Easy Perm and my Line Fifteen. The Easy Perm was 9/16" like it should be but the Line Fifteen was 31/64". No clue what was going on with the Line Fifteen.

As soon as the snow melts here I am off to the ball bearing store for some shiny new 9/16" balls.
Attachments
DSC01109.JPG
harv123

ALLWIN - CHAD

Post by harv123 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Good Afternoon All,

I have been given this CHAD AllWin Machine from a relative. I used to play with it when I was younger and don't know much about them. Could anyone shed some light on when it was made and what its about? It still works which is pretty cool!

Also any ideas on what it is worth? Not that I think I would sell it.
Attachments
chad.jpg
brigham

Re: ALLWIN - CHAD

Post by brigham »

It's by Oliver Whales, and was one of my childhood favourites. In fact, it was where I first met Chad!
coppinpr

Re: ALLWIN - CHAD

Post by coppinpr »

If you're asking "who was Chad" well Chad and Kilroy pretty much became the same character during WW2 but in fact it's thought Chad (1937) pre dates Kilroy (earliest confirmed sighting 1939) which was the predominant version in the USA (Chad was very British). Both Chad and Kilroy appeared looking over a wall with the slogan "Kilroy/Chad was here" but Chad often had other topical slogans as well, very often starting with the mispelled "WOT". Mad mag picked up on this after the war and used it in much the same way, followed by some topical jibe. During WW2 Chad became a mild joke propaganda graffiti in much the same way as "ban the bomb" was in the '60s but more light hearted. Chad slogans lasted well into the '50s and I remember them well as a kid (in fact I remember drawing a few on walls). In my view no other Allwin theme captures the feel of the allwin age better than yours, keep it safe.
pennyket

Wot Allwin

Post by pennyket »

Post moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi Guys and gals, could you shed some light on this machine I know it's an Oliver Whales and it's a WOT but I'm not 100% sure it's original. As much information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks Pennyket.
Attachments
Wot
Wot
Last edited by pennyket on Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

All looks legit from the exterior photo. What do you think is shonky?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, looks like a spot-on pre-war Oliver Whales, with original plastics and locks.