BMCo. "Wizard" pediment graphic

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
bugdust

BMCo. "Wizard" pediment graphic

Post by bugdust »

Greetings everyone. Does anyone have, or know where one exists on display, a BMCo. Wizard with the pediment graphic? I'm restoring one at the moment, and unlike other models where I've managed to re-create the pediment lettering from what was left of the original glass, on this occasion, the glass is completely missing so I have no template to work from.
Grateful for any help.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: BMCo. "Wizard" pediment graphic

Post by pennymachines »

I have an auto-pay Wizard with an inset mirror which appears to be standard. The one in the Hong Kong Works catalogue has quotation marks around "Wizard" and lacks the word 'For'. The lettering half-hidden at the bottom says, "B.M.Co 366. Coswell Rd. E.C.1". This can be seen better in the Digger mirror posted by Alan57. How are you planning to make it?

BMCo. pediment frame dimensions
Attachments
wiz.jpg
wizard-mirror.jpg
bugdust

Post by bugdust »

Thanks Pennymachines! I should be able to work from these.
I've done a couple with some success. I generally scan what's left of the old glass and then draw in the missing lines for the letters in a Power Point document, fill with the appropriate colour then pass the file to a friend who creates a vinyl graphic which I transfer to the surface of a piece of appropriately sized mirror glass. I then "sandwich" it with a piece of 2mm float picture glass and re-frame in the pediment. Seems to work OK.

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_4436.jpg

IMG_4437.jpg

bugdust

Post by bugdust »

Hi Pennymachines, sent you a PM re. the above, did you get it?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Loud and clear! Thought I'd answer it here in case it's relevant to others at some time.
bugdust wrote:Thanks for your recent help on a couple of posts re.my wizard restoration.
Having found the traces or the original green felt under the blue plastic backflash, I've decided to restore it back to the original as close as I can.
I note that on the Hong Kong Works catalogue there are small discs above each win cup, presumably with "WIN" embossed on it (although the picture is a bit grainy to see exactly).
Do these exist on your auto-pay Wizard? If so would it be possible to get a picture of one in order that I could replicate it. I'd also be interested to know how they attach to the play field as on the back board there are no traces of any nail holes.
On the subject of the pediment graphic, I'm at a loss as to which "Wizard" would be the correct one for my manual pay Wizard, I'm not sure it's desperately important but it would be nice to know why there were two different versions. I have to say I'm ignorant regarding the "Hong Kong Works" aspect of BMCo.
Grateful for your help

The small discs are off-white pearlescent cellulose? I think they were simply glued to the plastic flash (as on example below), but as you say yours is cloth backed, I'm not sure how that would work...

labels.jpg

On mine they're held behind a frame.

win-lose.jpg

See also BMCo Coin Return label

As for the 'correct' top sign, the one I posted seems most common. The one in the catalogue was probably an earlier variant. As I'm sure you're aware, the graphics on machines frequently varied, reflecting a tendency to remake them over time in small batches. I'm sure either would be kosher. Amusement Equipment Company Limited of Hong Kong Works, Exhibition Grounds, Wembley were a major supplier of BMCo's and many other maker's games.
bugdust

Post by bugdust »

Brilliant! Thanks for all your help..I'll post a couple of snaps when I've finished her!
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

I have a couple of cloth backed BMCo machines and the small discs with win printed on above the win cups are just paper discs stuck to the cloth. They appear to be original.
Attachments
slots-114a.jpg
bugdust

Post by bugdust »

Excellent!
Well, curiouser and curiouser!
Presumably, the paper discs may have been replaced by cellulose ones at around the same post-war period as the felt backflashes were being replaced by the same kind of material.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

And following that thought... maybe what I assume to be the earlier top sign in the catalogue image is also paper behind glass, not mirror glass.
livinginthepast

I have them in both paper and glass.
bugdust

Post by bugdust »

A veritable cornucopia of manufacturing vagaries!

For my own renovation project I think I'll stick to the green baize back flash and Pennymachines' later mirrored pediment! I just don't think the resources are there to be 100% accurate on a machine with so little original features left for guidance. I might try replicating the pearlescent "WIN" discs above the cups though!
I note that some of the metal panels that cover the back of the WIN ball bearing channels or the hopper overflow chute for instance are poorly constructed from crudely cut sheets of thin aluminium. Again, I'm wondering if these were later additions as on the the other BMCo machines I've come across these were either made from copper or brass sheet. Has anyone else found thin Ali sheet present?

Anyway, really grateful for everybody's help, hope to post some pics soon.
livinginthepast

Just had a look at my cloth backed BMCos and I see the paper discs above each win cup actually read "coin return"
I also found paper and glass pediment graphics for "The Favourite" which I no longer need as I am getting rid of most of my slot stuff. If anyone has a need for these drop me a pm
Attachments
DSCF1493.JPG
DSCF1491.JPG