J F Frantz MFG. Co. kicker catchers

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
arrgee

Re: Franz kicker

Post by arrgee »

longbobongo wrote:- do you have a list of numbers of all the Bryans machines/models built you could post?
Unfortunately not. As with many manufacturers machines, not all production runs were recorded - or if they were, have probably been lost in the intervening years. However a lot of Bryans machine production numbers do still exist (about two thirds) and can be found in the holy grail of British Slot Machine dissemination: Paul Braithwaite's book: Arcades and Slot Machines.
As this was written in 1997, the information may well have come from Jim Bryan who was still active at that time. I understand that there are Forum members who knew/met Jim Bryan.
junior

Frantz kicker

Post by junior »

There are 3 machine screws through the face plate of the coin slide and on the inside of the case 3 nuts. They were loose when I got the machine but the slide worked. When I tighten the nuts up coin slide won't work. Does anyone have one of these machines who can tell me why? Thanks.

I've merged this post with the previous one you started with the same name ... Badpenny
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I've had countless issues like this over the years and often the problem comes down to warped pot metal/diecast of the coin slide. I've spent hours dismantling slides and carefully filing small sections to free up the slide and associated parts. Also the actual silde plate is usually brass and can easily become bent over time causing jamming too. Another issue here could be the wood case has slightly warped or changed shape and is out of whack, which could be jamming on the mech somehow once you've tightened those bolts? You'll need to look closely with the coin mech tightened and loosened to try to find the culprit.
junior

Franz kicker

Post by junior »

I know we are going a bit off track but as it's already been mentioned where is the machine number on a Payramid?
junior

Post by junior »

The machine is probably 1 cent but had some English 5p in it. There's no sign saying 1c and so it's probably a thickness issue. Yep my thickness.
junior

Post by junior »

Well a 1 cent is too big to go in the slider but a new 5p fits snugly. So what coin was originally used?
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

junior wrote:I know we are going a bit off track but as it's already been mentioned where is the machine number on a Payramid?
On the 1930s Payramid it is stamped in the wood on the top of the case behind the coin entry. The number is also usually stamped somewhere on the chrome plate housing the "controls", and in the wood on the mechanism panel.
(Well it is on mine).
junior

Post by junior »

I have been informed by the last owner that it came from Belgium, so that could have something to do with coin size in the slider.
junior

Post by junior »

I now have another kicker catcher machine but I need to replace both the handles as both are badly damaged. Does anyone have any handles or spares for these machines? Or a machine which is on the never do list. You know what I mean - thanks.
ddstoys

JF Frantz pot of gold kicker catcher glass, photo or scan?

Post by ddstoys »

Topic moved & merged- Site Admin.

Hi guys I've recently purchased a Pot of Gold kicker and catcher game but the glass was broken.

Does anyone on here own this game? Ideally I'd love an original glass but photos or even better a scan so I can make a temporary glass would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance Daniel
slotalot

Re: JF Frantz pot of gold kicker catcher glass, photo or sca

Post by slotalot »

Hi Daniel, Not sure where I got this picture from !PUZZLED! Been on my hard drive for ages. !!JUNK!!
Not very good resolution but might be of help. :!?!:
Attachments
pot of gold.jpg
pot of gold.jpg (45.16 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Scans don't always work too well on glasses. Last time I tried it turned out terribly fuzzy, due to the art being screened on the back of the glass. I've always found much greater success photographing them. And you can experiment with the lighting that way for colour and no reflection.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

A completely black background behind the camera will eliminate a great deal of reflection. If the object is photographed at a slight angle to avoid reflections then the image can be rectified in Photoshop to bring it geometrically back to normal.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

slotalot wrote:Not sure where I got this picture from. !PUZZLED! Been on my hard drive for ages. !!JUNK!!
Thanks mate. That's a good start. I've replaced the glass already with plain glass so it's playable but I'm thinking of having a go at hand painting it - it's pretty basic.

And thanks for the advice on not scanning it and using a black background - always good to know.
junior

Kicker catcher

Post by junior »

Topic merged -Site Admin.

Are parts such as spindles and knobs interchangeable between a kicker catcher and a marvel pop up ? Grateful for help.
junior

Kicker and catcher

Post by junior »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi,
Happy Easter.
I have changed the glass on my machine, replaced a rather tired glass for a new/old stock. While doing this I done a general tidy up.
Problem I have is that 2 tiny springs fell out. They are about half inch long with loops on both ends. Does anyone have any idea where they belong?
Attachments
image.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Kicker and catcher

Post by badpenny »

In my spares collection box.
I've been hunting high and sideways for them. :cool:
ollie h

J.F Frantz MFG. Co. Long Shot & Pot of Gold

Post by ollie h »

I have just started my latest project, the restoration of a Long Shot ball catcher trade stimulator. I am starting with the cabinet as it has been beaten about and is missing some wooden moulding. As you can see from the photos, it is also missing both the front knobs and shafts. My first question is has anyone got one that they can measure the knobs? I also think the mech is incomplete so a photo of a complete mech would be great.

Having done some research I can see that it would have originally had a top cast pendant (see photo). I would like to have a go at casting a new one with model metal, so will need to make a wooden pattern. I need to know the overal height and width of the casting and how it is attached to the case. Also need to know the height of the two sizes of lettering.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.
Attachments
CEFB4DE7-80E3-4210-841F-CEC10949AF84a.jpg
0201E85D-7A3A-4733-BA78-6EF31FC6864Da.jpg
72A3AEAF-E9DB-40E6-924D-2525516EC702a.jpg
DA4453D2-C0F6-43D4-B2FC-330AAAB5EA02a.jpg
3B4FEE02-7D05-4082-A20B-41A8003A8FF0a.jpg
3A6055F8-0984-43FB-8B07-2520C180E63B.jpeg
3A6055F8-0984-43FB-8B07-2520C180E63B.jpeg (41.09 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
mei-mei

Kicker and catcher machine

Post by mei-mei »

Hi you all. Just a quicky, does anyone have a photo of the inside of a kicker catcher machine? On first inspection there seems to be a few unconnected bits inside. My daughter bought this one on Ebay for me but it is not working quite right, the balls continue to get jammed up inside. !PUZZLED!
Attachments
P1010002a.jpg
gameswat

Re: Kicker and catcher machine

Post by gameswat »

Look online as there are lots of photos of mechs as these are common and were made over many years almost unchanged.