Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Semco Dial for Money info?

Postby pennymachines » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:11 pm

This is a very long shot, but is there anyone else who has one of these or can offer useful advice (apart from 'give it up').
I bought it off eBay in 2015 and after a long but fruitless hunt for the correct type of rotary selector I got lucky at the last Coventry auction and picked one up for £12.

This is now incorporated into the controlling unit (shown) which fits into the machine as a complete chunk. Connected to this is the power supply, dial and a thermal switch (shown). As far as I can tell, the thermal switch gets a constant supply while the machine is on causing it to make and break as its bi-metalic arm warms and cools. This causes the selector to step the nixie tube through the numbers as an attract feature. There are 5 relays (one has 6 contacts and the other four have 10). Unfortunately, relay number 4 has no wires on four of its contacts, so without a wiring diagram it's a bit tricky to work out where they go...
DFM.jpg
Dial for Money
DFM1.jpg
Missing connections on control unit relay
DFM-relays.jpg
Four relays
DFM-4relays.jpg
Underside control unit, showing relays
DFM-nixie.jpg
control unit
DFM-switch.jpg
Thermal switch

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Semco Dial for Money info?

Postby badpenny » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Is this the gubbins that fried poor old Stuart Dale's brain?

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:18 pm

It was probably what impelled him to renounce slot machine restoration for life. :-(

JC

Postby JC » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:20 am

I got lucky at the last Coventry auction and picked one up for £12.
I presume you mean the uniselector, in which case you actually paid more than £12 - I think it was £18 + comm, but still far too cheap! I had had it in stock for a good number of years and decided I was probably never going to need it, so stuck it in the auction.
I had intended to get in touch, but I had personal problems back then and I'm afraid it got forgotten. But here's the thing - it is not your run of the mill ex GPO device; it's actually a NOS MOD uniselector. Thus, it may well be the case that the coil voltage is different to the more common GPO units. I can't remember what the coil voltage is, but I have a vague recollection that it is 28v - in any case, this doesn't appear to be an issue at the moment.........just bear in mind, it is not ex GPO.

Jerry

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:44 am

badpenny wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:21 pm
Is this the gubbins that fried poor old Stuart Dales brain?
I never quite got over it :oops:
electric.gif
electric.gif (498.45 KiB) Viewed 3034 times

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:50 am

Yay Stuart's back!

BP !!YIPPEE!!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:05 pm

slotalot wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:44 am
I never quite got over it...
But thank goodness you devoted your newly-acquired superpowers to ridding the world of evil. :frankie:

Thanks for the info JC - it was a bargain even at £18 and hopefully will be put to good use. Stuart pointed out that the more common Strowger uniselector (often found on Jamieson games) would not do the job. This looks the part, although it has more banks than the one it replaces. I'll check out the coil voltage.

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Well I've seen some very unusual machines before, but this one is quite frankly bonkers, but brilliant. Hope you get it running. :shock:

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:09 pm

Although tempted as I like Nixie machines, but I don’t like electricity......there is a Dial for Money being sold by our collector colleague in Holland Laurens ......not sure if you still have yours MR PM, but this one is tidy, but not fully working
https://www.facebook.com/groups/289907117793253
5848E19A-2290-43EC-B082-49992CD92D98.jpeg

dutchboy

Postby dutchboy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:33 am

I saw it for sale and I am curious about the machine. Only thing is it is a two hour drive...