Hawtin's Allwin coin stack clearing

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Hawtin's Allwin coin stack clearing

Post by badpenny »

My addled brain recalls from 1971 when I bought one of the above that the coin slide had a twisted bar attached to the back end of it.
The purpose of it was that when you won and cranked the slide across the twisted bar would line up with a hole in the back of the coin tube.
It then passes through the hole and knocks any excess coins of the top of the pile and into the coin box.

Can anyone provide either a photo or sketch of the shape of the bar please?

Cheers
BP :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Hawtin's Allwin detail needed

Post by badpenny »

I've found a photo on t'web, but it's not clear enough to see which way it faces at the contact with the slide and then which way it twists.

h22.png

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

If no one shares before I next get to my machines, will take a picture
brigham

Post by brigham »

That bar looks like an afterthought to make sure the coins above the top of the payout tube are flat, before they fall into the gap left by the paid-out coins.
It looks as if it simply pushes through the stack (L. to R. in the picture), rather than twist.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

treefrog wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:58 am If no one shares before I next get to my machines, will take a picture
Cheers TF
brigham wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:23 am That bar looks like an afterthought to make sure the coins above the top of the payout tube are flat, before they fall into the gap left by the paid-out coins.
It looks as if it simply pushes through the stack (L. to R. in the picture), rather than twist.

It does just push through the stack, knocking off the surplus.
As you can see from the photo the two securing holes are not in line with the hole in the back of the tube, so at some point must twist ninety degrees in order to present the correct profile to the hole. It could be to the right or the left. Also when screwed onto the back of the slide does it run from the inside of the slide to the outside before rising, or does it go the other way?

So The Twist I'm referring to isn't in its action it's the dance craze of the early 60s. Shortly afterwards it was replaced by The Hitch Hiker which was inspired by Marvin Gay's song of 63. I understand Hawtins stuck with The Twist and it was Oliver Redcar of Whales who used Hitch Hiker. Dance styles stopped being incorporated into Allwins when Brian Kegworth avoided The Top Ten when he designed The Elevenses ….. probably.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

WP_20180807_11_56_35_Pro.jpg

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well looked at mine and it looks exactly like yours :cool: so maybe I will be able to make the right part as well if someone has a complete one to show
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Ha :lol: …. ain't it always the bloomin' same?

Well, if I successfully create one, I'll make you a version too.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

38614650_1981248188566622_5946485803038277632_n.jpg

From one of the most superb brains this site ever knew, via my FaceAche account

brigham

Post by brigham »

I think I would have copied the one shown arrowed in the first picture.
Much neater.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Looks simple enough, but I wonder with some of them removed and the bends in this one that they had a habit of catching the tube and affecting payout, as such operators ripped them out. The coins will fall when they get so high anyway...
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I had to replace that piece on both machines I restored. I can't be certain if it was either of those machines but I have found issues when testing Allwins with these gone. It only takes one angled coin to occasionally tilt into the tube and then stay vertical to jam the mech. The makers didn't bother placing them there for no reason! I just had such issues with the Essex Horse Racer as the unique pusher parts were missing. And as this was a proto machine of course they tried an unusual coin payout system. Making a suitable device to fit what was there and also work probably chewed up 20+ hours! But had to be done to make the machine reliable.
Attachments
hawtins allwin 2 mech.jpg