Jennings bandits?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Jennings bandits?

Post by badpenny »

All of the Governors I've had have been Tic-Tac-Toe, so your question there is a bit confuddling.

Sometimes Victorias and Dutch Boys turn up, they however are from the 30s and beyond so predate the Club type models which I imagine are the ones that you lust after.

The Jennings Comet from the 60s era has been voted as one of the ugliest bandits of all time on this forum various times. Click here after first shielding your eyes

The cheapest Club type machine is The Galaxy, which is sometimes badged as Governor Mk 2 and was their last attempt at competing against The latest Bally products. Many Galaxies were purely mechanical and some were electrical with hopper pay outs, although I've never seen one.

Club Chief machines do pop up at times. My favourite is The China Front, I think it's stunning.

China Front.jpg

What's worth bearing in mind is the mechs are interchangeable (generally speaking) between Governors - Chiefs - Galaxies, so ……. you're paying more for the cabinet.

I currently have two Governors (one needing a total restoration for over 10 years now) a China Front and a Galaxy also needing restoration for many years. What I've learned about them is the chroming, it tends to be naff. If you search this site you'll read horror stories about attempting to re-chrome them. You may well come across a superb example that looks immaculate. Check carefully as many of us learnt that the cheapest and most permanent solution is to have the castings de-chromed and then highly polished. It gives a fantastic finish, and I for one haven't a problem unless it's being sold as an excellent chromed example. Also the most popular/costly ones do appear to be on 6d. Machines playing on two pulls for 1/- tend not to be so sought after.
So you learns the wrinkles, pays your money and takes your chance. The more you know the less the chance.

BP :cool:
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Hi,
Thanks' for the reply, you're right about that Jennings Comet.. :shock:

Probably a Governor I'd go for.... Hard to find or drop on before somebody beats you to them.. :-(
badpenny wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:09 pm All of the Governors I've had have been Tic-Tac-Toe, so your question there is a bit confuddling.
I've seen one for sale but it doesn't say Governor in the top left?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Top left? …… of what? !PUZZLED!
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Top of bandit top left it normally has Governor with those coloured stars, the one I’ve seen doesn’t have Governor at the stars and Tic Tac Toe on the right

Like this on here

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/17 ... achine-tic
Attachments
17554851_1_x.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

OK, you're referring to the top flash.
It is a Governor, I've seen those top flashes bearing "Princess" and all sorts of names, however if it's that shape has an Indian head sitting on a semi circular out crop with Jennings written underneath, then as they say "If it looks like a duck and quacks then it's a duck!

Incidentally that one is not 1940s, nearer 60s I'd guess
brigham

Post by brigham »

That's a 'home market' Jennings, probably for Nevada.
'The Governor' is the British market 'export' model.
Loads of these were re-furbished in Britain in time for decimalisation. They were on New Penny, and had a bland 'fairground' theme for artwork.
I remember seeing a row of them somewhere on the Yorkshire coast, at that time. Very impressive, in a decade where everything was gradually turning to Formica.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

There is also of course the MKII Governor, which I cannot find a picture of for now, but less bling than a Governor, but much cleaner looking than a Galaxy. I really like them, although not ones one and have lightup panels as standard, large ones....probably the rarest of the three.
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Thx for info guys, I now know why some say Governor and some don’t with them being modified imports.
Is the import ones less desirable?
Got my eye on one that’s been converted to new 10p.
This is an expensive purchase for a guy like me so I need to be sure and we’ll advised.

Thx.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

A "converted to 10p" statement should always be investigated, as to what exactly they mean by that.
brigham

Post by brigham »

"Converted to 10p" means "Don't buy it unless you know what you are doing".
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

brigham wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:01 am "Converted to 10p" means "Don't buy it unless you know what you are doing".
Hi.
Kid tells me it was on an old American Dime which is the same as our new 10p, can anyone back this claim up?
Keep asking if there’s a rear door fitted but he never replies to the question..
If no door on is it best to avoid or can they be purchased?
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

The bandit is on Facebook markplace.. What i find strange is that the chrome below the jackpot glass has been painted red??
He says it's original, I know it's not.

Any advice welcome...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Who converted it, and why?
Converted from what coin?
The latest 10np with steel in them or the old two bob bit?
Converted with machined metal parts or with toilet roll and sellotape?
How many original parts butchered?

Not for me, too many IFs and WHYs to end up with a less collectable or interesting machine.
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

He's sent me some pics.
Is it a miss-match of other Jennings machines? Is the case from a Galaxy?
Thoughts would be appreciated... ;-)
Attachments
35356733_2146642292031017_8556097001396109312_n.jpg
39914033_235088983821248_2912071956507394048_n.jpg
39927862_1918759101763670_2154348341473837056_n.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not Galaxy, but one of the many revamps. This is the third side cash tray I have seen, someone recently posted one in Belgium on a Facebook group and below we discussed one on here. Governor with side cash tray

A lot of Governors were revamped around the time of decimalisation, often with new cabinets with Formica covered coinage and new themes or colours on awards. The side tray must have been a option from one of the companies doing this, made sense..
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Is it worth at least 1k in your opinion TF?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I cannot comment on whether it is worth a grand as I would not pay anywhere near that even for an original one, but that is me.

I would want to see it in person before handing that sort of money over to check things like chrome, working condition (check the payout slides if converted to 10p) The cabinet is a bit suspect and I would want to look at that base, not something I have seen before but maybe part of revamp work. The red paint at the front is wrong and should not be there. What is underneath......?

I do not want to criticise the seller's machine, so as such go and see, do not buy without checking out.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Any paint in that area, usually, but not exclusively is there to cover up some negative issue, damage or loss of chrome etc.

I would ask seller for some close-up pictures of the bottom casting either side of the pay out tray too.
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Thx lads, I was suspicious about the red down there, I thought is it to cover flaking chrome...

Great advice from you all, appreciated. !THUMBS!

Was hoping an enthusiast on here would be able to offer me something nice at reasonable price, but is it with collectors it's very hard to part with them? :HaHa:
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Don’t think I’ll bother with that bandit, asked him to send a pic with the lights on and his reply was “There’s not nights with it being an 100 year old machine”.

PASS!!!!