Jubilee Riviera chrome

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennywise

Jubilee Riviera chrome

Post by pennywise »

Hi people,
I've just got a Jubilee Riviera and the chrome has gone and been painted with spray chrome. Just thinking of chrome wrapping the sides of the machine as they are wood and not in too bad of condition, so could easily be taken back off and painting the front but don't quite know what colour to go for. Just wondering if anyone has done the same by painting the front because getting it redone in chrome would cost a fortune. Does anyone have any pictures of painted one?. #looking4ideas
Attachments
20181010_154531a.jpg
20181010_154709a.jpg
20181010_154520a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Jubilee Riviera chrome

Post by treefrog »

The most common paint job seen on these is using Hammerite type paint, although nothing to stop you using a smooth paint with right preparation. Do a search on this site.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I know it depends on personal taste, but I'd be spending more time on undoing the ghastly decimal conversion than attending to the chrome.
If anything stands out to mar the appearance, it's the awards expressed in money instead of coins.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I'm not quite sure but the Powell Conversions I've seen of late appear to have stove enameled work over the old bright-work. Not sure how much this costs.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Just a bit of an update, after grinding, sanding, more sanding, wet sanding, buffing and polishing, vinyl wrap wood and chrome wrap this is the result on the after pics. Not too happy with the right side polish but overall it's a hobby so on to the next.
Attachments
20181214_163438a.jpg
20181214_163426a.jpg
20181214_163309a.jpg
20181214_163149a.jpg
20181214_163114a.jpg
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Over the years, for varying reasons at the time, I have tried all the methods discussed in this thread, on this model. It's not an easy job, regardless of which methods you use and as you say, results can be at best mixed. I see you removed the 3 stars that pays £1 glass? Is this because it had all the pay £1 bits removed or was glass itself in poor condition? If it is in good condition I'd be tempted to leave it in place regardless of the payout as it probably light up better than the tic-tac-toe replacement, that is now fitted?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I paint them with Hammerite and they normally turn out half decent. I also paint the Aristocrats when chrome is beyond it and they normally turn out good with a bit of time spent on them. I have to admit I do go a bit radical on the colours haha but I like to be different. :)
Attachments
E3539D3D-4C78-4DD6-9E4D-E60745437AA5a.jpg
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Hi, where did you get the chrome wrap from please? and how easy is it to work with?
Cheers in advance.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

aristomatic wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:48 pm Over the years, for varying reasons at the time, I have tried all the methods discussed in this thread, on this model. It's not an easy job, regardless of which methods you use and as you say, results can be at best mixed. I see you removed the 3 stars that pays £1 glass? Is this because it had all the pay £1 bits removed or was glass itself in poor condition? If it is in good condition I'd be tempted to leave it in place regardless of the payout as it probably light up better than the tic-tac-toe replacement, that is now fitted?
Hi aristomatic i removed and changed the glass because i wanted it to be more original and didnt pay out the 1 pound anyway but left the stars on the reels as i think they must be glued on and dont want to re do the reels, plus when lit up it looked very tatty with cracks in the paint so a friend did me a back sticker with the tic tac toe logo. Happy with the result :D
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

widget2k4 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:02 am I paint them with Hammerite and they normally turn out half decent. I also paint the Aristocrats when chrome is beyond it and they normally turn out good with a bit of time spent on them. I have to admit I do go a bit radical on the colours haha but I like to be different. :)
Nice paint job is that hopefully looking out for a Aristocrat machine to do next as i havnt got one of those yet, just got 3 Bally machines that have been in a barn for the last 20yrs to tinker with but they are electo-mechanical and im more body work and mechanical not a clue about electrics switches so will make it look nice and probably have to have someone to do the mech but will give it a damn good go. |/XX\|
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

deano67 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:28 pm Hi, where did you get the chrome wrap from please? and how easy is it to work with?
Cheers in advance.
Hi Deano got all my wrap on ebay about 20 quid a roll and its not too bad to work with but the chrome you cannot really stretch much as it will crack the chrome look but compared with proper chrome worth having a go because i got quoted 200 just for the front re-chroming and out ways putting too much money into it.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

pennywise wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:44 am
deano67 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:28 pm Hi, where did you get the chrome wrap from please? and how easy is it to work with?
Cheers in advance.
Hi Deano got all my wrap on ebay about 20 quid a roll and its not too bad to work with but the chrome you cannot really stretch much as it will crack the chrome look but compared with proper chrome worth having a go because i got quoted 200 just for the front re-chroming and out ways putting too much money into it.
This is the one i did with chrome wrap it was powder coated underneath so would be able to peel off if it looked crap but as it is not too bad.
Attachments
20180811_160137a.jpg
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Thanks for the info,not bad results !
Certainly cheaper than real chrome and agree it can be too expensive !