Ball Past the Arrow hinges

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
junior

Ball Past the Arrow hinges

Post by junior »

Hi, I have a Ball Past the Arrow problem. The hinges that are on it are lift off type, but they are 75mm long and thin. Not original to the machine, more the size of a 3 inch butt hinge. When I open the door it drops and is unsafe. Does any one have any spare hinges for this machine, or a way of supporting such a heavy door?
Thank you
ralph

Re: Ball Past the Arrow hinges

Post by ralph »

Can you post a few photos?
Are the hinges loose because the screws are loose in the timber ?, or are the hinges knackered?
I am sure someone on here can tell you where you can get the correct hinges it needs , good luck
junior

Post by junior »

Thanks Ralph for your reply. I'm in need of help or suggestions.
I could use the original type hinge if available but the door is very heavy compared with an allwin. Hinges from a giant allwin would be close enough. Picture is of what was on the machine. I have tried at different locksmiths without success.
Attachments
image.jpg
ralph

Post by ralph »

https://www.baselinemarine.com/shopexd.asp?id=21885 found this link on here
If your cabinet needs some repairs, I use match ends, wood glued into any flogged out screw holes. Insert them with glue till they have gone right in, then I lift them back a few mm's then trim with side cutters. Then glue it again pushing in all the way in. They should end up being a few mm's below the cabinet timber surface, so the screws can line up better. Hopefully you can nut all that out.

I looked up "hinges'' on this search engine and quite a few came up regarding hinges, missing or broken etc. I found this pic of your game. The hinges on this look the same as what are on my Wonders Hit and Run btw - quite small, with small points to help alignment when re fitting the door.
Good luck with it Junior.
Attachments
brenners.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Good advice Ralph. I do have one of these but not near me but, yes, they should be a lot shorter and chunky. I recall someone suggesting below supplier who had some which may be suitable. Check size as they're not expensive (should put in resources I suspect). They may suit your machine and look more sturdy.

https://www.baselinemarine.com/shopexd.asp?id=21885
Attachments
F103ED1B-4D48-4872-9756-3737E0BCB49D.jpeg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

See also: Replacement hinges.
If you know a handy welder maybe they could be fabricated using lift off bullet hinges as sold on ebay?
Attachments
bullet2.jpg
Hinge from early Ball Past Arrow
Hinge from early Ball Past Arrow
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Looking at the gauge of steel strapping used in the mechanism I'd recommend hinges with as many screw 'oles as you can find.

BP :didact:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Ball Past the Arrow hinges.
Attachments
bpa hinges.jpg
junior

Post by junior »

Thanks everyone for knowledge and advice. I doubt I will ever find originals like gameswat photo. Not sure of next move. Machine is the oldest model I think, as it pays out tokens. Again thanks.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Junior, how did you go with this? As far as fabrications go this is a pretty simple one to hand make these hinges as original, just some cut and drilled flat brass plate and four short pieces of brass rod with centres drilled, or tube with ends plugged. And a couple steel rods or nails for pins. Using a hard silver solder with a basic bottle torch to join the tube to the plate and done.