Somebody knows... Maybe you?
frayle

1912 Improved Pickwick

Postby frayle » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Would anyone know how it is possible to refill the copper tube of tokens on a c.1912 Improved Pickwick ball catcher please? It seems sealed all the way through, and no access at the top as it is tight against the plinth?
Thanks in anticipation.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: 1912 Improved Pickwick

Postby pennymachines » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:23 pm

OK, so I don't have one of these to hand but consulting JP's Pickwick Poltergeist article, he says:
j t peterson wrote:...the Pickwick playfield was constructed so that it could be removed quickly and another perhaps more appealing (newer) playfield could be swapped in. Shown left, is the playfield removed. There is one wing-nut on the bottom holding the game-field in place. An exchange of playfields would take less than one minute.
I suspect that's your answer - undo the wing nut and I think you'll find you can drop the tokens down a hole at the top.
Pickwick-mech.jpg

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks, Mr. PM. You saved me the time and effort of digging my machine out of storage.

J Peterson
Storage rat in America

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:25 pm

john t peterson wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:01 pm
You saved me the time and effort of digging my machine out of storage.
Because god forbid your collection should see the light of day this decade!? :shock: SkEpTiCaL !!UHOH!! !OMFG! :!?!: !PUZZLED! :cry:

frayle

Postby frayle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Many thanks for the clarification. I'll have a look at mine and see if the 'mechanism' can easily be separated from the case.
I suspect not that easily as there is a cast strut across the centre of the works which is screwed to the inside of one of the rear 'planks'.
As such would need to remove that first to undo the screw.
I believe there were many (14+) variations of the Pickwick/Cressett design and all are bound to be slightly different with individual idiosyncrasies?

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:06 pm

frayle wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:52 pm
I believe there were many (14+) variations of the Pickwick/Cressett design and all are bound to be slightly different with individual idiosyncrasies?
I seem to remember a lot I've seen were later revamps of original Pickwick machines, pretty sure the Cresset a friend had was such. I honestly can't remember how I refilled the tokens on my Pickwick but there certainly was a way it came apart into separate pieces by loosening some screws or bolts.