Somebody knows... Maybe you?
bedbug1

Greaves Amusements Money Tree (Bally conversion)

Postby bedbug1 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi
This is my first post on the forum. I have recently acquired a Greaves Money Tree and wondered if anyone had any information on this machine, as I can't find a lot of information on the internet.
money-tree1.jpg

jonesthegarage

Re: Greaves Amusements Money Tree (Bally conversion)

Postby jonesthegarage » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Welcome Bedbug, an American friend of mine used the expression "crazier than a bedbug", I hope it's not you.

Anyway, don't be thrown by the Greaves Amusements name, they will just be the suppliers, operator, etc; your machine is actually manufactured by Bally and is just one of myriad variations of the same machine. More knowledgeable chaps than me will be along at some point to tell you more no doubt.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi and welcome. As JG said, this is a Bally machine - it's one of their "Money Honey" range which marked the beginning of the end of the mechanical slot machine. These came along in the '70s. The early ones have payout slides; the later have a hopper payout system. These are what we call electro-mechanical and were the first stage moving to all electric slots. Let us know if it's hopper or slides. Is it working correctly?

bedbug1

Postby bedbug1 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi thank you both for your replies. Yes, it all works and pays out correctly. It's the payout slide version. Were the Money Tree conversions of Ballys mass produced or were they made in limited numbers?

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:30 pm

The supplier would have done this particular conversion I think (just glass work and reel strips usually). It's probably the standard payout selection. I don't know if yours came to you restored or not. If not, it's worth cleaning inside the glasses and replacing the tubes to make it look great. Sometimes there is a rotating diffuser inside the door/belly glass to make the light flicker. These often jam with dirt and need cleaning. They are not common but worth a check.

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:03 pm

Almost without exception, these conversions started life as a Sir Prize or Jolly Joker. I'd have to see the door hinges to be sure but the plastic panel across the front is a dead giveaway - it conceals the holes for the Hold buttons.

The hopper has been taken out and replaced with two slides on the inside of the door, one for the small pay and one for the large. These are now wired through a make-then-break contact on the right hand side of the mechanism that operates at end of game and routes a pulse through the payout contacts to one or other of the solenoids.

riche100

Postby riche100 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:03 pm

P1120280.JPG
Ballymagic :)

bedbug1

Postby bedbug1 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi,
I've just had a better look at the Bally and when the top glass is in a certain position you can see where it used to say 'hold' on the glass just above where the buttons would have been. I have also undone the green plastic trim and there are holes behind it where the buttons would have been, so you are right that it is a revamped older machine. I am having trouble at the moment - it all works as it should for about 8 goes and then it won't work. The electromagnet on the side of the mech won't energise, but if I manually move the bit of metal the cog moves and all the contacts on the side move in to position and it all works. I just wondered if anyone had come across this problem before and is it an easy fix?

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:14 am

This may be of assistance to you.
bally hold circuit.jpg
Wire colors:
30 - yellow
70 - orange
63-2 - brown-yellow-blue
25-1 - blue-white-red
98-1 - gray-black-red
14-2 - red-green-blue
52 - white-blue
56 - white-brown
57 - white-orange
74 - orange-green

Not shown in this diagram, the normally open side of the coin switch goes to the coin relay, which pulls in and self latches. This closes the 5th contact down and allows power to the handle release solenoid only when the coin leaves the coin switch. It also cuts off power to the coin lockout solenoid. Reel mech contact C1 opens as the handle is pulled and drops out the coin relay. Since your machine has been extensively modified there's no knowing if this diagram still applies, but most likely it still does in part.

riche100

Bally (Greaves) Money Tree

Postby riche100 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:25 am

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hello there,
I have a Bally Money Tree, by Greave Amusements, and it's not working and I wondered if I could have a little help with it...

I can operate the reels manually outside the machine, as well as the machine's arm. However, once reels are in the machine, the arm can be pulled, but it doesn't engage with the reel deck and in turn make the reels spin.

Any pointers please?