Aristocrat Hoots Mon/Quadreel/Quartette

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
hutto

Re: Hopper bother

Post by hutto »

Sorry for being thick but not sure what you are saying here, :burp: Could you put it in idiot terms please !!THUMBSX2!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Don't have one of these now, but would have thought these are DC, especially with the very large transformer at the top. I think what is being suggested is there are a number of fuses that should be checked as per your picture, and is always the first and easiest place to start. I would suggest you either try changing them or, if you know how, putting a meter across them.

I also believe there is a cut-out on these. I remember on mine, if there was a coin jam, the motor would cut-out. Cannot remember how this worked, but also could be an area to consider.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

In your picture the metal button next to the counter dials may be the reset button.
The three black holders on the side look like fuses.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I believe that silver button is one of the those thumb locking screws like you get on the Aristo mechanisms, but yes this those three fuses should be checked. Of course the other nice thing on these machines is that the wiring diagram should be stuck to the back of the machine behind the mechanism
hutto

Post by hutto »

Will take a look at these points. The fuses look OK but I will renew them just in case. !!CHEERS!! I will also have a gander to see if any coins are stuck in the hopper. :smash: Thanks, Dave. !!THUMBSX2!!
Yes, that is one of those thumb tightener thingibobs, the same as the ones that hold the mech in place.
glittering-prize67

Aristocrat Hoots Mon bandit

Post by glittering-prize67 »

Well guys, I've just got a table top bandit, looks in good nick, collecting Sunday. I think it's Aristocrat but it's a quad reel called Hoots Mon, Scottish I believe. It should be old 5p but seems to take new 10p. Anyway, I will let you know Sunday, it's only 25 miles away. !!YIPPEE!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Hoots Mon bandit

Post by badpenny »

Well done GP67.
I looked at it and think it was the hopper payout version?
One of our members has one, which sadly is missing some of the electrical'ness that regulates it.

I know he'd be interested to do a comparison to see exactly what's missing on his.

BP
glittering-prize67

More than happy to send pics or he can pop round and compare. This one is complete.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I just passed up a very cheap but complete quad reel Aristocrat because there were a handful of early circuit boards inside to regulate the hopper. The mechanical parts worked fine but I didn't like my chances of the electronics being an easy fix or staying fixed and reliable. Didn't help that it was big, tall and ugly! I repaired a similar age Bally with hopper and it looked much better and used Electro-Mechanicals to run the hopper payouts which was easy to repair.
hutto

Post by hutto »

Hi gp67, yes I would like to have a look at the electricary parts. I still live in hope that someone one day can fix it for me. !PUZZLED! So some close ups would be great,
Thanks, Dave.
glittering-prize67

hoots mon pics

Topic merged & image sizes reduced - Site Admin.

Pics if they load. Need a 5p play sign and what should be in the recess just above the reject coin return cup.
Any more pics needed, let me know.
hoots-mon-004a.jpg

hoots-mon-003.jpg

hoots-mon-002.jpg

hoots-mon-001.jpg

treefrog

Re: Aristocrat Hoots Mon bandit

Post by treefrog »

Well after re-buying another Hoots Mon at the previous Coventry, I have only now just got around to plugging in and trying and too my surprise is works perfectly......

What has really thrown me though, was that having paid £160 for it with original Aristocrat stand and in nice condition, whereas I sold mine a year earlier for £200. Even more strange was to see my old machine in the same auction, but minus it's stand and some of the plastic frontage damaged. Even more strange this machine made £380........very odd !PUZZLED! ......still I am happy
Attachments
hoots.jpg
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Great machines those Aristocrat hopper machines, when they are working. I had one and it was great fun but was warned to move it on ....so I did......

If Glittering wants a 5p badge, I am sure I could dig one out of a drawer somewhere. Let me know if you have sorted one out for yourself yet.

GP
glittering-prize67

Many thanks for your kind offer but I have moved it on. And I still have too many but just don't have the heart to part with them.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

No problem.

Seems Hoots Mon are always moving on.
morgs

Australian Aristocrat Nevada "Quartette"

Post by morgs »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi all,
I've searched around the site and come across some very helpful information, but I'm filled with newbie questions. I'm curious if anyone has any info on this machine as I can find nothing.

This was given to me by my Dad's friend around twenty years ago and hadn't been used for about the last ten years. Though it's in pretty good condition, I decided recently it was neglected for too long and give it some maintenance.

I've got it working fine mechanically, but there's something wrong with the electrics. It runs with a hopper, but it no longer pays. It has old, very hefty wiring throughout it which I can't see anything obviously wrong. Any suggestions on where to start with troubleshooting? I've also been considering getting it completely rewired, does anyone have any resources/schematics/advice on the best way to go about this? I can post more pictures if need be.

Cheers,
Morgs
DSC02285a.jpg

DSC02280a.jpg

DSC02279a.jpg

DSC02309a.jpg

DSC02293a.jpg

DSC02325a.jpg

gameswat

Re: Australian Aristocrat Nevada "Quartette"

Post by gameswat »

Hi, other than looking for a blown fuse, dodgy connection, dry solder joint, broken wire or non functioning micro switch - I'd suggest you find an old time slot or coin-op repairer in your area who knows these. This machine is close to 40 years old so the chances are highly likely that some of those early electronic boards have issues. The wiring doesn't need to be replaced unless it's rotting away or corroding and this isn't old enough for that yet. But some of the circuit board components may need replacing by an expert. If you search the net you may just find some wiring schematics for this model or similiar. I've never seen any myself in aust, but I'm on the west cost and these machines were never operated here, only turn up randomly as collectables. And I was told that not so long ago Aristo threw away all the old paper they'd kept themselves. I always keep away from these older machines with electronics as they tend to always be a right royal pain in the arse! But since you own this free of charge it's worth investing some time and cash to get it working again. Good luck.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi welcome to The Forum ....

I have had a little experience with these (both good and bad) .......

I've just spotted Gameswat has beaten me to it, I was only going to recommend checking all of the fuses and that the relays in the top are well seated. Gameswat has gone one further and by suggesting you find a retired engineer from those days ...... he speaks sense and should be listened to. There may be others along later who can offer some gems. Good luck!
morgs

Post by morgs »

Thanks gents,

I'll have a scratch around and make sure everything is connected and seated properly. I'll definitely do some searching for someone who has had experience with these as my knowledge of electronics is very limited.

Gameswat, any idea of exactly what year these were manufactured?

Badpenny, may I ask about your experiences with these machines?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hi Morgs, probably dates around 1976 or '77. Models with hoppers are desirable as they can spit out hundreds of coins as opposed to the older models with a limit of 20, plus mechanical jackpot (not allowed in Aust clubs though), and anything above that hand paid by an attendant. But the hopper models I really like are the all electo-mechanical hopper versions that were fazed out just before yours were brought in.