Somebody knows... Maybe you?
slotsoffun

Günter Wulff Astra - Insides

Postby slotsoffun » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi
Just picked up one of these Günter Wulff Astra from 1962. Just wondered if anyone has any internal details, especially close up pictures of the inside. I'm wanting to see the bottom right where it appears to have 2 capacitors, I need to see where they connect to.
But any other details would be great. It's not working at the moment!!!
Thanks.
13467.jpg
13467.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

slotalot

Re: Günter Wulff Astra - Insides

Postby slotalot » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:05 pm

Any chance you can post some good clear photos of the parts you are asking about? and I/ we may have a better chance of advising you where to stick them :lol: if you know what I mean??

jonesthegarage

Postby jonesthegarage » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:13 pm

Blimey one look at that picture and you can see why some people have a fear of clowns. Nice machine but he'd take some getting used to. My suggestion is once working do not play after 9 at night.

slotsoffun

Postby slotsoffun » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Two pictures, the first shows the overall inside for comparison to other models, the other one is a close up of the bottom right corner where the power comes in and appears to have two capacitors near a coil. As you can see, the top capacitor looks "blown up". It has two wires into one side red and black, but it's lost the left side. So not sure where the left side of the capacitor connects to, should I manage to get a replacement.

Any help?
closeup.jpg
fullback.jpg

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:43 pm

As you say, the capacitor has blown and lost its wire end. The wire would have been soldered to the tag just above the capacitor, "see photo".
It is not a normal capacitor, as it seems to have a diode built into it??? hence the 2 wires on one end. Can't say as I have ever seen one like that before. :o
Can you post on here a full list of the wording on the capacitor? I would be interested to see just what it is... !PUZZLED!
Captu.JPG

slotsoffun

Postby slotsoffun » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Here are the close ups. The whole thing, then a picture of the writing on the capacitor. Hope this helps.
Maybe anyone here who understands all these ratings etc... can give me some advice as to what I should be looking for? Thanks.
whole.jpg
all3.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Is that a micro switch to the right of that condensor?
If so, is it protecting anyone messing around inside by turning the power off when the door is open? Because I can't see what it reacts against on the inside of the back door.
Perhaps the cash box, so you can't operate it without the box in place.

When you get it running you want to hoover all that crud from the bottom of the motor where the cooling fan sits.

BP

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:44 pm

You're right, he IS scary, this machine would drive the under-16s from the arcade. A vision of that face with all the lights flashing round it is enough to give anyone a nightmare. I don't know about a license to sell this one - you should have an X certificate. :!:
astra.jpg

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:22 pm

Ok, I think I understand what we have here, I doubt that you will be able to get one just like it :oops:
But you should be able to make one up from 3 capacitors. You will need two capacitors at 2500pf at 250v or more, and one capacitor at 0.1uf at 250v or more.
I have attached links to Ebay suppliers where you can get them:

2x Capacitor 0.1uF 100nF 630V DC Polypropylene Axial Valve Vintage Metal Film UK

5x EPCOS B32237 2.5nF 2500pF 2.5kV MKT axial capacitors

You can only buy them in batched, but they are cheap as chips!!

You will need to wire them as per the attached drawing and then fit them to your machine. With a bit of luck everything should work... !SOFA!
Have a go and let me know how you get on... :byee:
capacitor-wiring.gif
capacitor-wiring.gif (2.95 KiB) Viewed 1824 times

slotsoffun

Postby slotsoffun » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:07 pm

Slotalot, can't thank you enough for that. I'd never have worked that out. I'll order those bits and report back when fitted.
Also Badpenny, you and me are on the same level... I had exactly the same thought about that red "switch" stopping it from working if the back door was opened, so I pressed and pushed that red top, what a fool I felt... It didn't move... It's a fuse holder!!!!! The red cap unscrews to reveal a small fuse. We live and learn!!!