Somebody knows... Maybe you?
atticbrowser

Jubilee Riviera won’t stop spinning

Postby atticbrowser » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:22 am

I acquired this rather untidy machine from a friend in the pinball community. I collected it in the summer telling myself ‘that’ll make a nice project for the quiet winter months.’ Well spring is on the horizon and I still don’t have it working. The machine does most things correctly I think. It accepts a coin and spins the reels. However what I’ll call the horizontal brake arm (do please tell me the proper name) needs a little prod before it will swing around and release the individual brake levers. Without that initial prod it just sits there. As a complete novice with these machines I had two theories. Firstly was the pivoting point of the brake arm gummed up with old dried grease? Well I sprayed the joint with solvent and sat working the mechanism repeatedly to see if it freed up. It didn’t.my only other thought was to note that there appears to be a spring involved in the action and I wondered if that was not strong enough to give the brake arm its initial pull? I’d greatly value advice and suggestions. I’ve taken a short initial video...link below...and will film whatever else you need. Thanks in anticipation.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Jubilee Riviera won’t stop spinning

Postby badpenny » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:30 pm

Hi ……..

Clearly the clock governor is stopping shortly after you pull the handle.
It shouldn't.
Take the mech out of the case and watch it from the back when you play it. You may see something that is blocking it momentarily.
It might be grease in the clock which you should clean out. Ideally remove the clock and submerge it in diesel or some active agent even petrol. If you don't feel up to that, then sit the whole mech on "Beloved's" table don't worry about the antique lace table cloth her granny gave her for a wedding present, it'll be fine!
Now spray it liberally with WD 40 or similar.

If you're not sure how to cycle the mech when it's out of the case then check out This Thread You'll see a lot more from the back.

BP !THUMBS!
PS make sure you have a full report in triplicate on my desk by 8.30 am tomorrow.

atticbrowser

Postby atticbrowser » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Thank you very much BP. I will do as you suggest and report back (although possibly not by 8.30 tomorrow morning.)
Is there a useful ‘exploded diagram’ type thing somewhere that shows and labels all the parts of a machine? If not, what does a clock governor look like please?

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:12 pm

The Clock is the gubbins with the spinny thing on top in the background.
On a mechanical bandit, when you pull the handle you're winding up a clockwork engine.
When it clicks over and fires it's running back down again. Like all clockwork mechanisms it needs to be regulated or slowed down, otherwise it would expel all of its energy in a second.
So that's what the clock governor does, and it's slowed down by the air vane on the top. I don't recommend you do it, but if you stretched the vane out you'd slow it down more, and if you curl it up on itself there'd be less air resistance and it would speed up the cycle.
Tomorrow we'll cover the Detroit V12 2 stroke diesel and its influence on the design of ping pong balls.

BP :didact:
PS I wouldn't worry too much about the jargon and names, we all tend to make up our own anyway. What one person would call a Flange Waffler I'd probably call a Back Pedalling Mud Guard.

atticbrowser

Postby atticbrowser » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:33 am

Thanks BP.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:43 am

If bp's ramblings don't work (they usually do to be honest) check the bar that I can see you push to get it restarted. It could be this bar is catching on something below it as it returns or in the slot it passes through on the far left.

atticbrowser

Postby atticbrowser » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Will do!

atticbrowser

Postby atticbrowser » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:59 pm

OK. I’ve spent a happy hour in the back garden squirting copious amounts of Pro Gas releasing fluid in to the clock, governor and all the joints that seem implicated in the movement of the brake arm. I repeatedly triggered the mechanism to ensure I was reaching all the parts. No change. I then sprayed copious quantities of WD40 in the same areas, again firing the mechanism as I went along. I’m now fairly confident that there are no joints gummed up with old grease.

I examined all the areas of movement to see if there was something catching and preventing the brake arm from moving. I can’t see any obstructions or damage.

To my novice eye it seemed as if the mechanism doesn’t quite have enough strength to get started.

I’ve taken another video from a different position with the mech out of the machine. The second spin probably shows the issue most clearly and demonstrates how little ‘help’ I have to give the brake lever to get it started.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:22 pm

atticbrowser wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:59 pm
To my novice eye it seemed as if the mechanism doesn’t quite have enough strength to get started.
Except it does, as can be seen with the clock running for a short time then abruptly stopping. There must be some kind of mechanical binding in the system. With these kind of cases all you can do is be methodical about it and start at one end of the chain reaction and slowly take each piece apart and look for wear and tear etc. Eventually you'll find either one bad piece or possibly several adding up to cause it. The good thing is by getting your hands dirty you'll quickly start to understand the machine and your confidence will soar! Good luck.

atticbrowser

Postby atticbrowser » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Ah I see what you mean! I hadn’t spotted that brief moment of spinning before it stops. OK work clothes on again tomorrow and I’ll try to track it down. Thank you.