Bryan's Clock Stripdown.

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
deano67

Bryan's Clock Stripdown.

Post by deano67 »

Started renovation on my Bryans Clock yesterday.
Eight hours of dismantling and sanding! Cabinet was in fine shape but wondered what finish was used from the factory and anyone know where to get an instruction card or possibly clock face decals?
Also found 1988 branded into the wood but surely they didnt make them that late, although it does run on current 1p's.
Pics attached.
Attachments
ebay-march-12-3123a.jpg
ebay-march-12-3114a.jpg
ebay-march-12-3124a.jpg
ebay-march-12-3125a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Bryan's Clock Stripdown.

Post by treefrog »

They all seem to have been varnished that golden brown colour, if you search the site many to compare.....I would be tempted to see how it comes up waxed, as I hate varnish !OMFG! , but I am sure people will say keep original.

There are artwork for face and instructions are in the resources below link, they also come up at auctions occasionally.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=847&p=3516&hilit=B ... work#p3516

The number surely is the serial number they stamped usually on the base and matching on the mechanism. So your machine is number 1888 from factory.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thanks,
It was 1988 branded into the wood on the top panel behind the flash/coin entry.I still think mine was a late machine running on 1p,anyone know when they stopped making these ?
Thanks for the link to the artwork but how do i download and print them off(not much of a techie here ).
Toyed with waxing or neutral colour varnish as i didnt like the yellowy finish,will experiment.
Cheers.
Moving back to your original post....

The number will be stamped all over, if you look on mechanism frame you should see as well, probably many locations.

On the images, depending on what you use, if a pc use right hand button of mouse on image selected and you should options to save locally on pc. If tablet iPad type item, double tap screen on image and you should get pop up coming up to allow to save a copy...
deano67

Post by deano67 »

It's back together!.
Went for a mid oak wood stain (satin) in the end. New instruction card and all castings polished etc.
Love this machine and appreciate the way it was designed and built. Now looking for a Bryan's Elevenses or Fill Em Up/Whats My Line type machine.
Any more info on dating it - would be very grateful.
TIA.
Attachments
ebay-march-12-3133a.jpg
ebay-march-12-3131a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Looking very smart.
My guess is that the streamlined Clock was first introduced around 1965, the same time as the Fruit Bowl (which it very much resembles).
Melvyn's site shows the two games together,
serial Nos. 162 (Fruit Bowl) and 2162 (Clock). It is thought that they were bought from the factory as a pair and have been kept together from new.
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Ok thanks,
I read through Melvyn's site and he dated to the 1988 number stamped on it but i was also told that the number was a serial number and not a date and Bryans would rework old machines to take decimal coinage so am still confused over its age.
Melvyn also said they made the clock into the 90s !! Anyone got any more info on productions dates/models etc ?