Innes' Industries Steeracoin

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
jimmycowman

Re: Innes Industries Steer-a-Coin

Post by jimmycowman »

The wall mounted one that sold yesterday - was that on 1 or 2p...? Is the one above home made or did they make them for 1d?
Attachments
_20171120_130218.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Innes' Industries Steeracoin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Jimmy,

As I said, my guess is that the wooden one that ddstoys posted might be the handiwork of an Australian operator, because I've never seen one in the UK, and it has that hand-crafted look (especially the coin return cup that looks like it might be fashioned from a drawer handle). Maybe DD can tell us more.

The Innes' Steeracoins seem to have been first made either late '60s or early '70s - i.e. before decimalization, because the tracks are spaced wide enough to take the old penny. It seems to have been a reasonably successful product, so presumably most were made post 'D Day' for the new penny or twopence coin. You can see on some of the examples above there's a decimal penny incorporated into the word 'COIN' in the glass screen-print.

I bought the 'countertop' example yesterday and having examined it this evening two things became apparent:
1. This one has always been on a decimal coin (2p). It would be quite easy to convert to old penny, but the first and last piece of track would need re-pinning in a slightly different position to let the bigger coin through, and there are no pinholes in the perspex playfield to indicate it was moved in the past.
2. This game has been chopped down from a floor-stander. My reasons for thinking this - the ply on the base is thinner than the rest of the cabinet, and the only access to the cash box is via the mechanism door at the back. That's pretty inconvenient for a wall machine! The floor-stander has the cash door lower down at the front.

So now I suspect Innes' only made floor standing Steeraballs. I saw a couple of smaller ones at auction years ago but they looked more obviously cut down.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

That's interesting... !!THUMBSX2!!
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Yes, I do think mine is Australian made. I know of at least 6 of them.
Each one has had a different handle - I’m assuming as they broke they replaced with whatever they had around.

It’s taken me 3 years to pry my one from the owner's collection. I’ll post photos of mine when it arrives.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Do you plan on converting yours to old penny (Mr. Penny machines). I have got one and might do the same... !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's the plan, but when is another matter.
The whole thing needs a rebuild, new glass, new Formica, new coin slot and I'd be tempted to add a cash door at the front. Wasn't cheap either...
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

They do travel well, especially sticking out of the sunroof !
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

And I might make it a bit shorter...
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Interesting the pile of magazines I found from the Pinball Player, has a small article on one of these from 1985
Attachments
102E0CF5-8746-48E3-A8F3-57D78178906B.jpeg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Well that one is shorter - I wonder if it was also cut down from a floor-stander. Can't see a cash drawer on the front. Although it's a very simple game, as Mr Girvan said, it's fun to play. Quite addictive and very challenging to complete.
sarahjane

Post by sarahjane »

Hi - my father (John) Peter Innes, made the original Steer-a-coin machines in the 1970s and is still living in Blackpool, now aged 83. We go regularly to have a look at models still in Botany Bay, Chorley, and the Motor Museum in the Lake District. I'm sure he would love to answer any of your queries. I would also like to purchase one of them as he never kept one as a keepsake. Please get in touch!!!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Sarah and :WELCOME:

It would be great to hear from your dad. We don't often get to interview the makers of our games.
I'm very curious to know if he made a wall-mounted or counter-top Steer-A-Coin.
I'll keep a look out in the salerooms. They do turn up now and then.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

This Spanish-made countertop version, with similar graphics to the Innes game, seems to have been made in some quantity.

Monza by Euromatic, Malaga, Spain, 1979
Attachments
monza.jpg
37171608_14674041.jpg
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

It's been a while. But today I've got it working on old penny play. Moved the top and bottom rail to make a new coin chute and adjust the coin entry.
The other rails were OK.
Attachments
DSC_1833a.jpg
DSC_1833a.jpg (163.62 KiB) Viewed 986 times
DSC_1817a.jpg
DSC_1817a.jpg (57.54 KiB) Viewed 986 times
DSC_1815a.jpg
DSC_1815a.jpg (91.64 KiB) Viewed 986 times