Somebody knows... Maybe you?
cait001

The advent of motors in pinball

Postby cait001 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:37 am

Hey peeps, anyone know which machines were the first to include scoring motors in them? Like the kind with timing diagrams?

Any idea what the first pinball machine with a motor was?

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: The advent of motors

Postby pennymachines » Sat May 25, 2019 8:36 pm

I don't know, but motors were used in the early 1950s to drive animated backbox features which accompanied the score lamps on Gottlieb and Williams pinballs. I believe these pre-date electro-mechanical score reels.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sat May 25, 2019 8:56 pm

Actually I don't think pinballs used motors to handle the scores, ever. They used solenoid step units. I believe a few early '50s machines used motors to raise and lower or rotate features while still using advancing lights to handle the score.

I believe Bally Bingo machines sometimes used motors to rotate the bingo card options on the back flash, so these might be the earliest.
kt-gstep-04.jpg

cait001

Postby cait001 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:50 am

coppinpr wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:56 pm
Actually I don't think pinballs used motors to handle the scores, ever...
EM pinballs would frequently use motors to solve problems like scoring something 5 times. Score 5000 points? You have to cycle the 1000 increment 5 times.
Want to count down a bonus stepper? Scoring cycles.
Complex reset cycle? Scoring motor cycles.
coppinpr wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:09 pm
I believe Bally Bingo machines sometimes used motors to rotate the bingo card options on the back flash, so these might be the earliest.
Heh, I doubt there is a single bingo machine without a motor.

bob

Postby bob » Sun May 26, 2019 3:27 am

Bally pin ball machines of the thirties used a motor in their payout unit. Skipper brought out in 1936/7 was the first to use this unit.
Skipper.jpg
Skipper.jpg (20.64 KiB) Viewed 307 times
IMG_7629a.jpg
IMG_7623a.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun May 26, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks Bob. Your depth of vintage slot machine knowledge never fails to impress. !WORSHIPFULL!
I notice Bally's first payout pinball, the Rocket of 1933, appears to use a similar motor.
This game also has an electrified anti-tilt mechanism.

bob

Postby bob » Sun May 26, 2019 1:51 pm

Thanks Mr Pennymachines for resolving the correct date of the first use of a motor in a pinball machine. Rocket which showed the score on the playfield would have had a similar payout mechanism to Bumper and Skipper with a motor.
Bally's Bumper and Skipper came out with coiled bumpers on the playfield which displayed hits on the back glass by a new scoring mechanism which used relays to advance and reset the scores displayed. Bumper enabled replay games and Skipper paid out coins or tokens.
IMG_7130a.jpg
IMG_7128a.jpg

cait001

Postby cait001 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:26 am

pennymachines wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:34 am
I notice Bally's first payout pinball, the Rocket of 1933, appears to use a similar motor.
Very cool to know! But in my mind the 1933 Rocket isn't really a motor, it just a cylindrical stepper disc.
Perhaps my definition is a bit too limiting though, considering how motors evolved in usage from the very simple like this to complex multi-step timings.
bob wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:51 pm
Bumper enabled replay games and Skipper paid out coins or tokens.
BTW I am pretty sure Bumper does not award replays. I have played 2 different copies and none had replays awarded anywhere. A pic on IPDB shows a typed scoring card with replay awards, but I assume that was the code for the local off-game payout.

bob

Postby bob » Mon May 27, 2019 2:22 am

The illustrations accompanying my first posting show the payout mechanism from a Skipper. This is activated by what is unmistakeably a motor. Rocket would have had a similar motor driven payout system.
The illustrations accompanying my second posting show the scoring system from a Skipper and Bumper. This was actuated by relays.
Rocket would not have had such a mechanism as the scores could be seen from the playfield mechanism, as Rocket had no backglass. The smaller illustration from the IPDB accompanying this posting shows the same Rocket pinball machine clearly illustrating the motor used in the payout mechanism.
A Bally Skipper advertisement may be of interest.
Bally Skipper advertisement.jpg
Bally Skipper Advertisement
Rocket Pinball Showing Playfield.jpg
Rocket pinball showing the playfield
Rocket pinball machine showing payout motor (from IPDB).jpg
Rocket pinball showing motor in payout mechanism

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Mon May 27, 2019 10:17 am

bob wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:22 am
Rocket would have had a similar motor driven payout system.
You can also see it next to the coin hopper in this screen grab of the video I posted.
RocketsMotor.jpg