Wulff Arizona restoration

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
jothebulb

Wulff Arizona restoration

Post by jothebulb »

From reading around on the forums here & some searching online, I believe I have an English-market model of a Wulff wall-mounted machine. The case is pretty battered, but crucially (for me) the mechanism just about works: it was sold to me as not working, but I discovered the last owner had tried using it with modern 2p pieces & I believe it should correctly be used with old pre-decimal pennies. Once I had cleared the jam, the system runs.

I’d love to be directed to any resources or knowledgeable people to help me restore this machine (for example, bent nails have been used to replace some of the pins inside the mechanism) both mechanically & cosmetically - as you can see from this image, the poor thing hasn’t been well looked after, but is still solid.

Jon.
Attachments
Arizona machine
Arizona machine
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Wulff Arizona restoration

Post by badpenny »

Nice machine I've had a couple myself.
To help the mech, use a degreaser or acetone to remove any grease it may have been lathered in, and use a light oil on anything that moves except the coin slides.
You will see oiling holes on a lot of the spindles, and the bearings on the back of the clock.
Post some photos of the bits you have doubts about and we can advise better.

BP :cool:
jothebulb

Post by jothebulb »

Dear BP,

Thanks for the advice - all useful for someone who is really just starting out. I’ve also read the basic tips & tricks section.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Your machine is not that bad. Remove all the ironmongery and work on the case. Let's see a better photo of the glass so we can advise.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Often thought about the design of the Wulff pull knobs and wondered if the pointed design was intended to deter punters from slamming down the handle and damaging the alloy mech?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You're right.
I'm not sure it's solely because of the Mazac construction of the mechanism.
Very few punters would ever realise that the force you pull the handle on a bandit has no effect at all on how fast they spin. And even if it did, why they should think it gives them a better chance of winning??
The Germans realised that if the handle has a sharp point it would deter players from slamming the handle.

American bandits also tended to incorporate an anti-slam device but it's situated inside the cabinet on the plate that secures the handle. It works on centrifugal force. If pulled gently everything descends nicely. However if slammed down then the hinged trigger will be thrown up and out to jam against the teeth of the bracket attached to the cabinet.

At rest
At rest

Handle slammed, mech jammed to protect.
Handle slammed, mech jammed to protect.

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I think I'm right in thinking there were no German used "Arizona" machines. That glass being part of the UK refurb. I think they all started life as either Wulff "Prefekta" or Lindl "Ludus" (which is so like the "Prefekta" - it has to have been made under licence from Wulff a few years later than the original). I think some "Prefekta" machines were also re-hashed with an English translation (including the name) of the original glass.
Attachments
perfekta 1960.jpg
lindl 1964.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Those two also have two extra windows on the reel line.
Probably a tilt flag and a free spin.
Remnants of those extras should still be evidenced on the Arizona mech.
It would be interesting to see if they there now. Thus confirming Paul's theory.

jothebulb

Post by jothebulb »

Hi,

Here are some closer images of the front glass.
Attachments
glass1a.jpg
glass2a.jpg
glass3a.jpg
glass4a.jpg
jothebulb

Post by jothebulb »

And here are some images of the mechanism. I am concerned that there may be some parts missing - especially the starter button, that doesn't appear to connect to anything at all...

I have provided some close-ups of the more suspect parts of the machine - I think the coin tube that stacks the coins above the payout selector seems to have been hand-made from scratch. Also is a close-up of the bent nail that holds together parts of the payout mechanism.

All thoughts & observations gratefully received.
Attachments
Coin-dropa.jpg
Coin-mecha.jpg
mech-righta.jpg
coin-slidea.jpg
payoutmecha.jpg
bentnaila.jpg
Mechanisma.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

OK …
Going through the photos …..
Yes your coin tube has been interfered with, because it's been sleeved to allow 1np to fit, I wonder what they've done to the coin slides to accommodate the same? Also the tube should be one piece brass, it looks as if someone has taped a plastic bit of hose on top.
There is clearly an issue with the middle coin slide as it seems to be tripped(!?) which it can't be, so why isn't it flush up with the others?
The nails should be tiny steel pins, they keep the lid of the slide stack in line with the base. Also they are the bars that the slide springs are attached to, each slide needs two springs (one each side) to ensure the slide moves perpendicularly and doesn't get pulled at an angle and jam. I can't think of anywhere to get spares, but turning the nails up the other way might be more secure.

Yes it still has the addition on the mech for the FREIES SPIEL, however I expect the symbol has been removed from the last reel and the trip removed, so that part of the game isn't functioning anyway.
The Starter lever that should make contact with the button can't be seen, so possibly it has been removed, they often didn't bother removing it, they just detached it.
It looks very clean, and there's no visible signs of delamination in the castings, which Mazak suffers from.
I'm glad to see it's not smothered in grease, but it does look dry and would benefit from oil … as I said in my earlier post.

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have a couple of these, one in nice condition and one I left in the garden as you do.....mainly because it was riddled with woodworm, warped etc etc, so scrapped it. Need to remove the hardware for spares before it becomes a seized mass. I think this was the mechanism that came from it (an issue as there were half a dozen laying around) and has the part BP was talking about that would have displayed in the original glass window on the left hand side

I was a bit confused on the coin front as BP says it has new pennies inside, so assume it was converted from old penny to new penny at some point. Would be worthwhile taking the slide assembly apart to see what has been done, an area often a cause of problems on these machines. Also note the reel respin button assembly is missing on the mechanism, often happens....
Attachments
55B556D3-E358-4715-B913-B1B0F24AAAEFa.jpg
B791A95B-5D61-4F72-A22E-FCA5528478D7a.jpg