Henry Powell

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
banditboy67

Henry Powell

Post by banditboy67 »

Hi all,
Been in contact via text with Henry regards a top award screen for my newly purchased Rivera and all of a sudden he’s not replying when I’m about to purchase it and a few chrome bits..
Has anyone else bought from him?
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Henry Powell

Post by coin-op »

I spoke with Henry this afternoon. He recently had an accident, and whilst on the road to recovery and working, he's behind on some of his workload and trying to catch up. So, hopefully you'll hear from him sooner than later, but I guess things have to take their place in the queue. Personally, I've know Henry many years and I don't think you have any cause from concern (other than your order might take a little while to sort). Hope that's of help.
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Hi coin-op.
Thanks’ for the reply..
If you chat in the near future could you mention that the guy called John who’s been texting him about the Riviera bits n bobs is a member on here.

Thx in advance....

BB
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

Hi,
Henry Powell's top bloke and he will get back to you just unfortunate if he's had an accident. :!?!:
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

I wanted some parts for my Aristocrat Deci King which he had and gave me a price between 100 and 200 about 6 months ago. Never got back to me so haven't been able to finish it, so it's just sat in the corner waiting for the parts I need but I have bought off him before. It's just annoying when people don't get in touch when they want to sell stuff. Still waiting. 🤣
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

That’s why I’m worried because I need the bits for my OXO Riviera.
I text him after getting word from off here that he’s the guy and he replied straight away. He even sent pictures via iPhone of what I need but had nothing since??

Like mentioned before, if anyone is a friend of his on here please pass on that I’m on here too and wanting to purchase. !THUMBS!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I have always found Henry Powell to be honest and reliable. In business you can't always follow up every enquiry from every customer. Anyway if you're not so far away you can always take the initiative, get in the car and drive up the A1 and visit.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Admin Response

A request has been made to remove this thread.
However I see nothing in it that is detrimental to anyone, in fact it could help others experiencing any similar delays.

A summary of this thread is: -
We're all sorry to hear Henry Powell has suffered an accident that impinges temporarily on his business.
It's good to hear he's on the road to recovery.
Like most of us in these circumstances Henry has had to refocus his priorities due to the situation.
This has all come to the fore due to his customers naturally questioning their orders.
Everybody now knows the situation.
A lesson perhaps for anyone in business that a contingency plan should be in place from the beginning that automatically kicks in in case it all stops.
Communication is the key.

This thread communicates.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I would love to go to Henry’s place and see the treasures and his arcade, very jealous of the fairground panels he has of all the manufacturers. I think he works on his own, but maybe wrong. Last time I saw him was at Derby 2018, one the true gents who will chat the world of slots with you.

Hopefully he will be back to his best and see him at a future event !!THUMBSX2!!
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

I’ve had some very nice replies and he’s going to send me the bits and bobs tomorrow all being well...
Can’t wait to complete my OXO.
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Leave thread up, he’s not sending them anyway now because it wasn’t removed when he persistently insisted!!

I will never ever contact that man again, worst experience of trying to purchase items I’ve ever had.
Anyone would’ve thought I was wanting the parts FOC.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

I did have a brief chat with Henry. Obviously, there’s two sides to every story and ultimately, there’s a point where it’s best to let things drop and just move on. It does seem that the tale is a little more involved in that a price was given and there was a ‘what’s your best price question’. Also, having removed requested parts from a cabinet , it then became that some parts were not wanted and so needed putting back ( all of which takes time). So, at the end of the day, when running a business, as opposed to dabbling as a hobbist, time is money and for a small transaction, unfortunately , there comes a point where ( like yourself), it’s just a case of drawing a line. Obviously, this is against the background that Henry was working in his livelihood with painful restriction. So, I guess this could run and run, but perhaps it’s a case of leaving this as is.
I’m purely posting this as Henry is just too busy to do it himself - so don’t shoot the messenger 😁
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

It’s fine, just wish the post would’ve been removed as requested...
But is it wrong for a guy to haggle slightly on the price, hasn’t anyone else???

C12FE57D-7E58-4807-80E6-6E2CE1AA33A4.jpeg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I have spoken with Henry today.
I have listened carefully to everything he had to say, although he's not a member here and owes nobody in the wider public an explanation for anything.
If his response to my call had been "Go to The Foreign Office" , I shouldn't have respected him any less.
My purpose was merely to understand what this forum could do to help ease this situation.

In an ideal world such a situation need never occur, however life isn't like that.
Due to his accident and the pressures he is working under, it is fair to say that he has very much larger issues to focus on. That however would not drive him to callously let someone down.
He is not in retail, nor is he open Mon-Fri nine to five. He is basically a one man show working all of the hours he can and often into the night.
All with his phone ringing all day long.
Anybody who has made themselves easily available to the world will know how others tend not to appreciate that their urgency for a spring or spindle
isn't mutual.
Nor is it necessarily a ten minute job to resolve, which can be squeezed in while you take a break. Meanwhile, repeat customers who have paid and are collecting the day after tomorrow, will still be arriving … the day after tomorrow. Then you have an accident!

Henry has never earned a reputation for being the kind of individual who spins a yarn or capitalises on a situation. Nor does he exaggerate or allow emotion to dictate how he represents himself. If he has made a mistake it is to be too damn good at what he does, and to soldier on when incapacitated, trying to be everything to everybody. That is to be commended, if not overly selfless of him.

Henry agreed that the thread should stay up, as it portrays a lesson. We agreed I should share this final post on the matter and lock it.

BP :didact:
We wish him well and a speedy recovery. :cool: