Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pedroofn19

Mills or Sega Lucky Horseshoe???

Postby pedroofn19 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:14 pm

Hello, I have just got hold of this Lucky horseshoe bandit, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me is it Mills, or is it Sega?
It was sold to me as a Sega Lucky Horseshoe, but Im not sure that it is a Sega. On the first reel there are horseshoes on every friut/bar. I have looked online and all I can find are Mills Lucky Horseshoe bandits, and Sega Lucky Devil. The machines look very similar but my one has the special award 777 next to the reels which makes me think there is something not quite right with it. I haven't got the electric parts working yet, although I did put a new fuse in it and turned it on, only for the fuse to pop straight away. Any tips would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Sega bell.JPG
rear sega.JPG

treefrog

Re: Mills or Sega Lucky horseshoe???

Postby treefrog » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi there,

I believe we were at the payout together at the same Bournemouth auction. I have owned one as below link and believe these were modified machines in the U.K., possibly by Ruffler and Walker or one of the other revampers of the time and were made from bits of machine available at the time. You have Sega and Mills parts in there. The electronic gubbins are attached to the rear hood and makes it heavy. I did get mine going and was later revamped again by a fellow collector into a bright white machine.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6188&p=44867&hilit=Horseshoe#p44867

I suspect you will need to check all leads carefully for shorts or bad connections and ensure you have a good earth as lots of volts in there. These machines paid out special awards on the jackpot of multiple awards repeats based on hitting horseshoe on the first reel. I never took a video of mine, but below is one of similar arrangements I have with Ashby Innes special features the little devils both Sega and Mills. The advantage of these conversions is they did not drill the cabinet and could if chosen be converted back easily.

pedroofn19

Re: Mills or Sega Lucky horseshoe???

Postby pedroofn19 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks treefrog, I thought it was a mish mash of both Sega and Mills. I bought it at Eastbourne auction for £270.
I have seen more than one white Mills Lucky Horseshoe that has been restored, but they were a little different to my one. I guess a lot of machines had parts swapped and rebuilt, so it is hard to identify them. I think the transformer is broken in my one as it looks like it may have burnt out, but I don't really know how to test it. It only has two light bulbs in it and both of them were black, like they had blown. I'm guessing it is on 220v because of the red, black and green wires, that used to be the UK standard colours.