Beromat Bronx

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
dannywhiteley

Beromat Bronx

Post by dannywhiteley »

Hi all, thanks for allowing me to join. I inherited this Bronx machine when my grandma died 25 years ago. Until very recently it was set at free spin and never paid anything out, all springs were shot and several peices in the mechanism were damaged or missing.

Over recent weeks I decided to challenge myself to fix it up. My grandma was an avid fan of the 'slotties', so bought this in the early '80s from her cousin who worked on the arcades in Rhyl apparently. I remember it being at her house when I was a kid so it's quite special to me. I've given it a clean in the past but never dared tackle the mechanism.

From what I've found, on this forum mainly, it's a post-war German Beromat machine rehoused when imported into UK in the '60s.

Anyway, it needed a full strip down, clean and refurb. I've managed to fix it so it pays the correct money on winning lines, and now only works when coins (old 1d pennies) are inserted.

I couldn't find any manuals or instructions on line, just a few grainy photos of similar machines. Basically had to work it out myself, but very satisfying and I'm sure my Grandma would be chuffed.

https://i.ibb.co/47Gw6Gc/Screenshot-202 ... allery.jpg
Attachments
Screenshot_20200418-170147_Gallery.jpg
dannywhiteley

Re: New member - Beromat Bronx

Post by dannywhiteley »

A few questions if I may...

Firstly, how to work out the win percentage?
Secondly, can the cracked front panel be repaired?
Finally, is it better to install new led lighting than rely on the 50 year old original electrics?
highfield

Post by highfield »

Hi
If you do a search for:
Average payouts on mechanical slots
This will help you on calculating your payouts
John. :HaHa:
dannywhiteley

Post by dannywhiteley »

Thanks John, i found a post that said add up the total payout all the win lines (I work this out as 96) according to photo below. I also counted 10 images on each reel (so 10x10x10 = 1000). I then divide 96/1000 and multiply by 100 and get 9.6. This doesn't seem right.
Attachments
20200418_154453a.jpg
highfield

Post by highfield »

Hi Danny
You can’t calculate it like that. I don’t know your reel configuration but just to illustrate.
On your card you have 3 bells paying ten and I think You assume that’s a ten payout.
But if you have 3 bells on first reel. 2 bells on second reel and one on the third. Then you can get three bells six ways. 3 x 2 x1 = 6 so potential payout is ten times 6.
Look at my note on average payouts it will explain better. Under my name highfield
John
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: Danny!
dannywhiteley wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:21 pm Firstly, how to work out the win percentage?
Some clues here.
dannywhiteley wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:21 pm Secondly, can the cracked front panel be repaired?
How thick is the plastic? If it's thin enough to bend to the correct shape without heat, your best option might be to replace it with a new sheet.
dannywhiteley wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:21 pm Finally, is it better to install new led lighting than rely on the 50 year old original electrics?
It's a matter of personal preference. Obviously if you're going to keep the original lighting it should be checked and overhauled as required, to make it safe. I think these were fluorescents, so overheating of the plastics may not be an issue.
treefrog

Re: Beromat Bronx

Post by treefrog »

Lighting is a taste thing, for me I love the original fluorescent lights and flicker....

There are good specific Perspex bonds, that create a strong almost invisible join even when light is passed through as I have used them on a number of arcade lights I have repaired. Key is it work well of fresh clean breaks, yours looks like a lot of dirt build up or an old repair. One brand I think was tensol 12 from memory, very thin clear liquid and seeps, into gaps well.

There is two of these machines on eBay at the moment, also made local to you by Vale in Rhyl...
coppinpr

Re: Beromat Bronx

Post by coppinpr »

Tom is right about fixing the front but you might consider a car windscreen crack fix kit from Halfords. (I think there is a post in hints and tips on these). These are quite amazing and, if done correctly, the crack itself disappears. The problem will be, as Tom says, any dirt in the crack.

Although it's true it concerns profit rather than payout, it's worth remembering it costs you one coin to get any payout, so the net gain on a 10 win is 9 and on a 2 win just 1!

For this machine I'd say new florescent tubes using the very reasonable modern electronic ballasts available on Ebay - nice and safe, and looks original from the outside.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC220V-Slim- ... BQ7VOQQV_Q