Somebody knows... Maybe you?
geofflove

Re: Hoopers Automatics Skill Score pinball machine

Postby geofflove » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:56 am

Despite saying this was a project for later I couldn’t resist getting started!

Despite my hopes the ply supporting the metal play field is knackered. The worms have done their worst and it’s turning to dust. I’ve now stripped all the components from the playfield (there are quite a few!) and need to get some new 9mm ply and start drilling.

I’ve been ordering some new screws ready for the re assembly as all the ones removed are ravaged by rust and unusable. Replacing in brass and stainless. I’m having a problem sourcing the 2 domed coach bolts that go in the front of the machine though. I’m not sure of the exact original size but they are about 4mm diameter and 90mm long so an m4 90mm or longer would work perfectly. Except I can’t find one. M4 coach bolts don’t seem to be a ‘thing’. I could go to m5 but even in these the longest I can find is 70mm. To get the length I have to go to m6 which I could probable do but will start looking pretty big on the front.

Does anyone have any sources where I might get something or bright ideas?

Thanks

scorpa163

Postby scorpa163 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:25 am

Have you tried Buckwerx rockola pinball spares.
The front frame holding down bolts might do.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:50 am

You could cut and braze a couple shorter bolts to get the length. Or cut your own thread on a piece or rod and just braze the upper with a coach head.

geofflove

Postby geofflove » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. No brazing torch sadly! I have now managed to find some m5 100mm bolts so think I’ll give them a shot. Cheers

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:39 pm

Hey Geoff, you can braze parts quite easily with a cheap self igniting torch that uses the disposable Mapp gas bottles. I use mine almost every day as much less hassle than pulling out the acetylene unless I have a large job needing serious temps. There are some awesome silver solders available that use much lower heat than bronzes but still more than enough strength for almost any machine issue. Should be a standard tool in ANY workshop I'd suggest!
mapp.jpg

geofflove

Postby geofflove » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:17 pm

Hi gameswat

Yes I think I might need to invest in one of those. It would be handy. I just never seem to have ventured beyond soldering into brazing and welding but it would be useful. I’ll take a look.

Just spent the last hour freeing up the rusty coin slide mech on this machine. Still slightly stiff but a massive improvement on the non moving item it was.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:20 pm

Which reminds me that one of the common uses I have for the Mapp gas torch is freeing up rusted nuts, bolts and parts. A quick shot of heat and some penetrating oil is often all it takes to break the rust bond. Sometimes a few more goes needed as best to start slow.

geofflove

Postby geofflove » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:45 pm

So help needed here as the project progresses. I’ve now rebuilt the playfield with some non eaten ply and just about got all the stuff back in the right order. Now to the skill score counter dial.

It was all rusted up but managed to strip and free it off. However the spring which tensions and I assume returns it to zero is rusted through and broken. So the question is where the hell do I find a new one. I searched for clock springs on eBay but they all seem bigger and too strong for this job. This one feels pretty light tension wise. The spring metal is about 4mm wide. Any clues? Can I fashion my own? In which can how?

Thanks!
06C3165F-4492-466B-B878-5BDBF77A35D8a.jpg

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:57 pm

geofflove wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:45 pm
This one feels pretty light tension wise. The spring metal is about 4mm wide. Any clues? Can I fashion my own? In which can how?

Thanks!
Have a word with this chap, tell him what you are after, he might be able to help you.. even if you have to send him a sample of the broken one.. |/XX\| https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLOCK-SUSPEN ... Swdu9auVfB

geofflove

Postby geofflove » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 pm

Thanks. I’ve messaged him. Fingers crossed. I had hoped I could re shape the end of the broken part and that there would be enough remaining to make it work. However, it’s so brittle that if you try to do anything with it it just falls apart.